Rumor: Garland Trade? | Update: Getting Closer? #439

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I’m thinking if that’s the case the return would need to be decent. Either a younger right side D with top four potential or a pick (second or third rounder) so the other 70% of Garland’s cap is gone.
Probably a 3rd pick for Garland at 30% retention.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Some boxes need to be checked off before a Garland trade is to happen:

-Mikhayev getting games in and showing he is healthy for the top 6 ( 1 game in )
- Replacement wingers within the system need to show they can play a bottom 6 role - Studnicka has looked decent. Bains has 7 pts in 4 games in the AHL, Podkolzin has 5 pts and 4 goals in 4 AHL games. Aman 5 pts in 4 AHL games. ( Check)
-Canucks need to be willing to retain ( Check)

I think the Canucks likely have offers they are mulling over and are just waiting a week or 2 to let Mikhayev get some games under him without any setback.

I'd speculate that Garland gets moved well before American Thanksgiving.
And Myers is getting moved just as soon as his bonus is paid.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Rather than read 25 pages (because I'm lazy), what say Vancouver to a Garland for Tanev deal.

Vancouver shores up its right side and gets an experienced stay at home D to play beside Hughes. And save ~400K in cap space this season with the liklihood of re-signing Tanev on the cheap for a few more years. They also relieve themselves of a future 4.95M a year obligation in a crowded forward group.

Calgary adds another smallish forward that can score and is fairly responsible defensively. Calgary loses a lynch pin from their D Corps. While losing early this season that Corps. remains a strong point although not so much if they lose Tanev.

They trade offence for defence.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Rather than read 25 pages (because I'm lazy), what say Vancouver to a Garland for Tanev deal.

Vancouver shores up its right side and gets an experienced stay at home D to play beside Hughes. And save ~400K in cap space this season with the liklihood of re-signing Tanev on the cheap for a few more years. They also relieve themselves of a future 4.95M a year obligation in a crowded forward group.

Calgary adds another smallish forward that can score and is fairly responsible defensively. Calgary loses a lynch pin from their D Corps. While losing early this season that Corps. remains a strong point although not so much if they lose Tanev.

I doubt you'd see a single Canucks fan object to that trade but I don't see it moving the needle for Calgary. Garland isn't a game breaker but a complimentary piece. They have plenty of those... even if none of them seem to be gelling at the moment.

Not to mention, Tanev's a RD. His value at the deadline is going to be high if only because of the position he plays.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Of course Vancouver would accept that deal completely fleecing the Flames, but it takes the agreement of both sides to make a trade.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
I’d target Blankenburg if I were the Canucks. RHD who’s shown great upside and CBJ wants/needs to move a defenseman.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I'm glad to see the Canucks are not trying to force this move and taking a loss to do so The fact remains that Garland is a spark plug player who can drive a line. Having him in the bottom 6 brings another wave of attack for the team and he's really become an excellent defensive player.

While his cap hit is one that you would expect to pay a 3C or a top6 winger he gives the Canucks a mismatch in the btm 6 and that has a lot more value than what they would acquire in a trade.

The smart money is to walk from Beauvillier and Myers at seasons end rather than taking a loss on an extremely effective player to get cap space.

It may have been a bad match with him and the Canucks top6 and he probably wants a fresh start to get that role back hence the trade request but he signed a contract and doesn't appear to be problematic or a distraction now that his new agent hasn't been able to help him get what he wants.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I'm glad to see the Canucks are not trying to force this move and taking a loss to do so The fact remains that Garland is a spark plug player who can drive a line. Having him in the bottom 6 brings another wave of attack for the team and he's really become an excellent defensive player.

While his cap hit is one that you would expect to pay a 3C or a top6 winger he gives the Canucks a mismatch in the btm 6 and that has a lot more value than what they would acquire in a trade.

The smart money is to walk from Beauvillier and Myers at seasons end rather than taking a loss on an extremely effective player to get cap space.

It may have been a bad match with him and the Canucks top6 and he probably wants a fresh start to get that role back hence the trade request but he signed a contract and doesn't appear to be problematic or a distraction now that his new agent hasn't been able to help him get what he wants.
YES. I've been advocating for this too. Let those two vacancies occur then have the chips in the lineup fall where they may (e.g. one of Hoglander/ Joshua/ Podkolzin moves up and takes a permanent 3rd line role instead of having to give up an asset or two to move Garland).

Alternatively, if a team with contracts to spare and aspirations to improve (e.g. Washington, after not really having a successful winger to pair with Ovie even though he's heating up) would want to get more playmaking to help Ovie catch Gretzky, Garland's play along the boards could really help cycle and set up the Great 8 for his trademark shots. Wonder if Garland + pick for either TVR/ Jensen + someone like Malenstyn (cheap, strong, speedy, physical depth winger good at defense) would be a possible win-win trade.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
YES. I've been advocating for this too. Let those two vacancies occur then have the chips in the lineup fall where they may (e.g. one of Hoglander/ Joshua/ Podkolzin moves up and takes a permanent 3rd line role instead of having to give up an asset or two to move Garland).

Alternatively, if a team with contracts to spare and aspirations to improve (e.g. Washington, after not really having a successful winger to pair with Ovie even though he's heating up) would want to get more playmaking to help Ovie catch Gretzky, Garland's play along the boards could really help cycle and set up the Great 8 for his trademark shots. Wonder if Garland + pick for either TVR/ Jensen + someone like Malenstyn (cheap, strong, speedy, physical depth winger good at defense) would be a possible win-win trade.
I'm not adding a pick plus Garland to get worse in a trade and then take back term. Just because he's asked for a change of scenery doesn't mean we have to get hosed?

Neither of those players would give us better returns than Ethan Bear and are 33 and 32 with term...no thanks. Would have to be way better than Malenstyn to entertain that
I would do that.
Yikes really?

i would laugh and hang up

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Yikes really?

i would laugh and hang up

Depending on what his injury and if he's LTIR eligible but it frees up 2.2m for the rest of this season and next. One less year than Garland too. If you can place him on LTIR then you're basically freeing yourself of the entire cap charge for this season. At a certain point you just take the cap savings and wash your hands of Garland.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Depending on what his injury and if he's LTIR eligible but it frees up 2.2m for the rest of this season and next. One less year than Garland too. If you can place him on LTIR then you're basically freeing yourself of the entire cap charge for this season. At a certain point you just take the cap savings and wash your hands of Garland.
if he was a distraction i would agree but he's playing well and seems like he's not letting it be a distraction.

The goal should be a player on a expiring contract that can help. Not making our team worse and then still saddled next year or beyond with yet another bad contract.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
if he was a distraction i would agree but he's playing well and seems like he's not letting it be a distraction.

The goal should be a player on a expiring contract that can help. Not making our team worse and then still saddled next year or beyond with yet another bad contract.

I will be shocked if that happens.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
With Vancouver playing So well I wonder if this is off the table at least for now
Maybe that’s what that reporter’s comment was about when he said, “Canucks’ management going to reward players for good start”? Or something close to that? Garland, Myers are staying and the players are be rewarded by keeping the club together?

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Blankenburg
25 years old and cant crack an NHL roster, AHL so far this year on an average team.
he's also 5'9.
i'm sorry but only on HF boards do players 'with upside' get so over-valued.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah I think it's safe to say we aren't paying to unload him, nor are we looking to just jettison his contract. He's putting in work for this team and is quickly becoming a key piece here like he was meant to be.

Oddly the new, improved Myers with reduced minutes too. We've harnessed the awesome power of the chaos giraffe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad