Gardiner up at forward?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
It seems that Todd Mclellan is looking like a genius right now with his Brent Burns at FWD experiment - Burns is flourishing at the moment with 10 pts (5g/5a) in 9 games since moving to forward.

With the healthy scratch tonight and RC's system suited more towards defensively-responsible rear guards, is there even a remote possibility that you guys think we should try doing the same with Gards?

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
It seems that Todd Mclellan is looking like a genius right now with his Brent Burns at FWD experiment - Burns is flourishing at the moment with 10 pts (5g/5a) in 9 games since moving to forward.

With the healthy scratch tonight and RC's system suited more towards defensively-responsible rear guards, is there even a remote possibility that you guys think we should try doing the same with Gards?

Such a great pick up from free agency for my fantasy team. Have him playing in one of the defense slots and he is way above average :yo:

It could maybe work if we had a large group of big bodied forwards and lacked scoring, but we have the complete opposite of that. Don't see it working out.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Well he used to be a forward, and tbh his defense isn't that good.

I would love it. However, I doubt its going to be done. I am a huge believer in patience and development and if Jake could improve his defensive side, he's going to be lethal.

I would stick to dman, but I would love to stick him to forward for a little bit just to try it out.

Last edited:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Burns was drafted a forward. Gardiner is a great puck moving defenceman who is just turning the puck over a bit too much. Polish him at defense instead of converting him

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Burns was drafted a forward. Gardiner is a great puck moving defenceman who is just turning the puck over a bit too much. Polish him at defense instead of converting him

Gards was a forward before he was drafted so its not like it would be a huge change.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Gardiner isn't THAT bad defensively that's just the popular opinion right now because he's been bad recently espicialy against Florida. Last season he was fine maybe not amazing but sound or at least average like Liles. As he gains experience he will evolve into a more rounded d-man. Patience is key when developing d-man. He needs to learn how to be better defensively at the NHL and it will take time, but it will come.

Feb 24, 2004
Did anyone see Gunnar's performance on the back end tonight? Gardiner would be an improvement over him on the back end.

As for turnovers - I must have missed those in between all the amazing outlet passes he's been making

peety16

Apr 12, 2011
Gardiner was a center in high school but then was converted to a D man by Backes' D1 coach Troy Jutting at Minnesota State. Played his first year on the point at Wisco

CanadianLov3

Feb 21, 2013
G😍 Leafs
Did anyone see Gunnar's performance on the back end tonight? Gardiner would be an improvement over him on the back end.

As for turnovers - I must have missed those in between all the amazing outlet passes he's been making

Love his outlet passes. I hope he is in the lineup saturday.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I think I'd rather see him play forward at this point than be benched. Not that his defensive play has been very good this year.

But in the end, he should be a defenseman.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I absolutely 100% feel he could pull a Wendel and be moved up and at least tried. He is very dynamic and a good skater, defensively he would be considered below average or poor. I said he could be tried at that spot last year and I still feel the same about the matter, though, I don't beleive he has a coach that would try this experiment.

The kid is a forward playing from the D position already. Flame away :)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
...that's a dumb idea.

Was it so dumb when they move Wendel up? He was D you know and there are other players who converted up with great success, some can move back or just be used everywhere on the ice see: Federov.

One thing that people always say when people propose this sort of thing "It's a dumb idea" until it works and then people give praise. Start listing specific reasons why it would not work, traits abilities and tendancies that lead you to believe why he would not convert up. Without them you're just acting as a drone autoresponding based on nothing of substance.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Was it so dumb when they move Wendel up? He was D you know and there are other players who converted up with great success, some can move back or just be used everywhere on the ice see: Federov.

One thing that people always say when people propose this sort of thing "It's a dumb idea" until it works and then people give praise. Start listing specific reasons why it would not work, traits abilities and tendancies that lead you to believe why he would not convert up. Without them you're just acting as a drone autoresponding based on nothing of substance.

You are over reacting to a few games. Apparently one concussion can transform a defenceman into a forward. List reasons? How about the fact that he was one of the top rookie defenceman last year or that he was logging huge minutes with the marlies and was playing like a stud dman before his concussion. Maybe we should throw all our defencemen as forward, Phaneuf can be our number one centre :laugh:.
This is just typical overreaction.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
Don't see it happening, as I don't see which line he's going to be stealing a spot on from you know, our actual forwards. Is he going to be taking a roll in the top 6 or even top 9, at this point why would RC risk doing that in a season were doing so well in. His time will come and it will be as a defenseman, he was fantastic as a rookie and will come around, just some minor tinkering to be done to polish his game.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012

How about Staal blowing by him like a pylon...kid is so fast that should never happen. I still love him though, just give him time he will learn like Kadri did when to pinch and be aggressive and when not to.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
This is Kaberle all over again.

Sigh...

No it's different he is very dynamic and could do it is all I am saying. Do we need to even try it? No, could it be done on in certain situation, yes. He is differebt then Kabs, I am saying THEY COULD TRY because his skills say yes to all the criteria.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad