News Article: Gardiner Hopes To Justify New Contract

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
He can already move the puck, playing well defensively like winning puck battles in the defensive zone, being strong in front of the net, and not turning over the puck are all things he needs to work on. Having a good defence is having players that can do these things. Not just one thing.

During our epic collapse post-Olympics, the only players with a better plus/minus than Gards were Bodie, McLaren and Orr. The latter two played 2 and 9 games respectively in that bunch and none of those three played more than 9 minutes a game. Only Kessel, Bozak, Phaneuf and JVR played more minutes per game than him in that stretch.

Sorry but Gards can be pretty good defensively when his coach trusts him. He's very good at moving the puck and playing a possession game. The idea that he's just a puck rusher and shouldn't be trusted in his own end is actually laughable.

And the stats others have posted prove that further. Once again posters are disproving your theories and you're ignoring cold hard facts because they don't support your theory.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
During our epic collapse post-Olympics, the only players with a better plus/minus than Gards were Bodie, McLaren and Orr. The latter two played 2 and 9 games respectively in that bunch and none of those three played more than 9 minutes a game. Only Kessel, Bozak, Phaneuf and JVR played more minutes per game than him in that stretch.

Sorry but Gards can be pretty good defensively when his coach trusts him. He's very good at moving the puck and playing a possession game. The idea that he's just a puck rusher and shouldn't be trusted in his own end is actually laughable.

And the stats others have posted prove that further. Once again posters are disproving your theories and you're ignoring cold hard facts because they don't support your theory.

Are we disagreeing Gardiner needs to improve defensively? We all know he can move the puck, this is not the area he needs to address, it is can he be defensively competent in all the areas I brought up. This is what he will need to improve to prove his signing was a smart one by The Leafs.

I would think we would all be in agreement of this.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Gardiner and Franson had the most giveaways for D men on the team last year. Why didn't you post this fact?

He replied to a post that said that Gardiner shouldn't touch the puck in the defensive zone, and gave stats that shows that Gardiner is actually very safe with the puck in the defensive zone.

His stats make sense in the context of the discussion, talking about overall giveaways not only means we don't take into account factors such as icetime, we also include giveaways in neutral and offensive zone which has no bearing at all on how safe he is with the puck in the defensive zone.

Come on, Interactif, I know you are wary of Gardiner but you know better than to make posts like this.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He replied to a post that said that Gardiner shouldn't touch the puck in the defensive zone, and gave stats that shows that Gardiner is actually very safe with the puck in the defensive zone.

His stats make sense in the context of the discussion, talking about overall giveaways not only means we don't take into account factors such as icetime, we also include giveaways in neutral and offensive zone which has no bearing at all on how safe he is with the puck in the defensive zone.

Come on, Interactif, I know you are wary of Gardiner but you know better than to make posts like this.

I was replying to people that claim all Gardiner needs to do is possess the puck and move it.

That's all, again, I think Gardiner is already proficient at this. What I like to see from him is to improve on the areas I addressed. Defensively to be premise.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I was replying to people that claim all Gardiner needs to do is possess the puck and move it.

That's all, again, I think Gardiner is already proficient at this. What I like to see from him is to improve on the areas I addressed. Defensively to be premise.

I'm sure everyone would like to see Gardiner improve upon his weaknesses, while still using his strengths to help out the team.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Are we disagreeing Gardiner needs to improve defensively? We all know he can move the puck, this is not the area he needs to address, it is can he be defensively competent in all the areas I brought up. This is what he will need to improve to prove his signing was a smart one by The Leafs.

I would think we would all be in agreement of this.

Way to completely twist what he was trying to say :shakehead typical of you anyway.

Gardiner's bread and butter of his defensive game IS moving the puck and safely passing it out of the zone. We brought in defenemen who's strengths are battles down low and clearing the front of the net so we can make a balanced pairing.

Not every defensemen in the league has a perfect game. Jesus christ man just because Gardiner isn't a physical force it doesn't mean he can't be good defensively. Was Nik Lidstrom a physical force who cleared the front of the net and dominated battles down low? No he was not, the bread and butter of his defensive game was active stick, positioning, puck moving and excellent possession-type game. Gardiner has similar characteristics to mold his game with. Very few defensemen in the league today possess an everything-type skillset (Doughty, Weber etc...)

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
Let him loose. Let him play to his strengths. He dominated a vet Bruins team in the playoffs and he's the player i'll be most excited to watch next season.

Tyler Biggs*

A high risk, high reward defenceman. As he matures, gaining more experience, the risk part will decrease. A few years from now this signing will look like a steal.

Tyler Biggs*

A definite talent - he and Rielly will anchor the blue line for years. He just needs to up his defensive game.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Way to completely twist what he was trying to say :shakehead typical of you anyway.

Gardiner's bread and butter of his defensive game IS moving the puck and safely passing it out of the zone. We brought in defenemen who's strengths are battles down low and clearing the front of the net so we can make a balanced pairing.

Not every defensemen in the league has a perfect game. Jesus christ man just because Gardiner isn't a physical force it doesn't mean he can't be good defensively. Was Nik Lidstrom a physical force who cleared the front of the net and dominated battles down low? No he was not, the bread and butter of his defensive game was active stick, positioning, puck moving and excellent possession-type game. Gardiner has similar characteristics to mold his game with. Very few defensemen in the league today possess an everything-type skillset (Doughty, Weber etc...)

Not sure why so many feel that defense can only be done one way, and if you're not in that box, than you're doing it wrong. Players like Lidstrom demonstrate that defense can be achieved through different methods. He was not a strong bruising defenseman that was your typical strong defender, rather was a really good stick checker who was able to move the puck out of the zone. This is what Gardiner needs to emulate. Gardiner plays good defense by spending less time in his zone. Good problem to have. Defense can be achieved different ways. I would rather be attacking then defending.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Lol. Realtime stats. As soon as you realize someone takes those seriously you can safely assume they're clueless.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Not sure why so many feel that defense can only be done one way, and if you're not in that box, than you're doing it wrong. Players like Lidstrom demonstrate that defense can be achieved through different methods. He was not a strong bruising defenseman that was your typical strong defender, rather was a really good stick checker who was able to move the puck out of the zone. This is what Gardiner needs to emulate. Gardiner plays good defense by spending less time in his zone. Good problem to have. Defense can be achieved different ways. I would rather be attacking then defending.

I've held the notion that size/physicality are some of the most overrated aspects in hockey right now, especially among D-men. Some people on these boards act like it's impossible to win a battle down low if you're not 6'4" 220.

Lidstrom wasn't the only one to play that type of defensive game either. Duncan Keith plays defense in a very similar fashion, while his partner Seabrook does the dirty-work down low and in front of the net. OEL from the Yotes is another great example, and there's lots of other examples.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I've held the notion that size/physicality are some of the most overrated aspects in hockey right now, especially among D-men. Some people on these boards act like it's impossible to win a battle down low if you're not 6'4" 220.

Lidstrom wasn't the only one to play that type of defensive game either. Duncan Keith plays defense in a very similar fashion, while his partner Seabrook does the dirty-work down low and in front of the net. OEL from the Yotes is another great example, and there's lots of other examples.

There's a lot of defensemen that make their living this way. More then one way to be strong defensively.

Tyler Biggs*

How can you say Carlyle has no use for Gardiner. He played more minutes per game last year than any other Leaf with the exception of Phaneuf. Look it up.

leafstilldeath*

As long as Carlyle doesn't ruin it for younger players I think all of them will see significant improvement in their games this season.

Gards should be fine as long as the swarm defensive system and the painful stretch passes are not part of the system this year.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
One of the reasons I loved the Robidas signing is that he could help out Gards and Morgan, defensively at least.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I hope he does so people will stop with the trade Gardiner thread, #freegardiner or any Carlyle related crap, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad