News Article: Gardiner Hopes To Justify New Contract

Tyler Biggs*

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=728544

I've been scared that he was going to be moved, and I know that would be a mistake. Sure, he needs to get better in his own end, but show me a 24 year old d-man who doesn't, AND who can produce the kind of offence this guy is capable of (gotta love the imagination). Any team in the league would be happy to have him and Rielly as their future on the back end.

If Gardiner can play like he did two years ago in the playoffs this will turn out to be a bargain for the Leafs.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
He's probably the player I'm most looking forward to watching this season. Glad we gave him that kind of contract and it's good to know he's happy to be here for the next 5 years.

If we can fit him and Rielly in the top 4 this year it will be great hockey to watch at the very least. There will definitely be growing pains but it can't be worse than playing Franson in the top 4 tbh.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea, I want to see him and Rielly take steps forward this year. Gardiner needs to bring it consistently. He's a game changer when he's on, but it was too rare last year.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
As long as he is allowed to impact the game, he will not disappoint.

Last season he started by playing his weak side and he said he did not like it and his play showed that. He will be more than fine...as long as he is allowed to play his game within the structure of the team.

Prediction 12 G and 28 assists 40Pts

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I also hope he can justify that contract in year 1, and continues to progress. How great it would be to have a young, top pairing dman for $4m a season.

Rielly4Captain

Apr 9, 2012
Man... Mondays... I totally read the OP as "Clarkson" and then what he said about him... i was like is this guy delusional or extremely sarcastic?... Just to realize we are talking about Gardiner not Clarkson...

Someone bring me another coffee?

OT, I really hope Gardiner continues to grow this season, i used to hate him, but last season he gave me many reasons to begin liking him.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
If he starts on the top pair, including PP, I think he will have a 40 point season and take another step. It's all about being consistent with him.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Would it be possible to sticky the points predictions thread so we can see how far off everyone was from the start to the end of the year?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think we're going to have an amazing Jake this season. I think now that he knows he's not going to be traded off everytime his name comes up he should be more confident.

Durkin67

I think we're going to have an amazing Jake this season. I think now that he knows he's not going to be traded off everytime his name comes up he should be more confident.

How does he know this, exactly?

Has he been addd to the untouchable list?

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van
Untouchable list? I like how Kypreos says something five months ago and people are still sticking to it. I doubt there's a list of untouchables. I doubt Shanahan looks at his roster and thinks any one of them is untouchable.

As for Jake, I think he's capable. He just has to be smarter with the puck. He can move it fine, skates better than almost anyone not named Rielly on the team. He's just prone to the odd dumb pass, or lazy play in his zone. He gets past that, and he's going to be a good one.

Durkin67

Untouchable list? I like how Kypreos says something five months ago and people are still sticking to it. I doubt there's a list of untouchables. I doubt Shanahan looks at his roster and thinks any one of them is untouchable.

As for Jake, I think he's capable. He just has to be smarter with the puck. He can move it fine, skates better than almost anyone not named Rielly on the team. He's just prone to the odd dumb pass, or lazy play in his zone. He gets past that, and he's going to be a good one.

Thanks for making my point. I couldn't agree more. There are no untouchables, including jake.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Gardiner's offensive talents are not what I am going to focus on though they are important to his game, with Jake it is all defence that will determine just how good he can be.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Gardiner's offensive talents are not what I am going to focus on though they are important to his game, with Jake it is all defence that will determine just how good he can be.

Wrong... his puck moving ability is what will determine how good he will be. It's about time somebody lets you know that every player is defined by their strengths not their weakness. Smart coaches allow a players strengths to flourish and for Jake it's his ability to move the puck with possession. He's the type of talent when free you wont be defending all that much cause he makes sure your in the offensive zone with his puck moving abilities. That's his individual impact to a team... FYI defense is a TEAM THING.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Wrong... his puck moving ability is what will determine how good he will be. It's about time somebody lets you know that every player is defined by their strengths not their weakness. Smart coaches allow a players strengths to flourish and for Jake it's his ability to move the puck with possession. He's the type of talent when free you wont be defending all that much cause he makes sure your in the offensive zone with his puck moving abilities. That's his individual impact to a team... FYI defense is a TEAM THING.

Jake's strength is rushing the puck not moving it and Interactif is right , it'll be his defense that will determine how good he becomes.

Also while defense is a team thing , it's a team thing made up by individuals who have responsibilities and there's no rover position which seems like some people believe RC should let Jake play.

officialmark*

I get the Rielly love, but Jake is easily the best skater on the team.

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
I hope Gardiner will play next season like Josi did last season.

I think these two guys are comparable. Both are young, both have lots of potential and both are on a very good contract.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

He can already move the puck, playing well defensively like winning puck battles in the defensive zone, being strong in front of the net, and not turning over the puck are all things he needs to work on. Having a good defence is having players that can do these things. Not just one thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad