Value of: Gardiner for Myers

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Cap cost is not too far off from each other. Both have one year remaining on their deals. Both players have been up and down over the last few years.

Leafs need RHD and Jets may want a LHD better than Kulikov and Chiarot for their top 4.

Not sure Winnipeg can afford to extend Gardiner beyond next year, but Jets are contenders now and could use the depth to contend next year. Toronto on the other hand would likely extend Myers IF this experiment works out.

What is fair value here? Who adds what to make it a fair deal?

Gardiner and Myers at their very best are basically #2 guys. At their worst, they are #4/5 guys. I see this being a risky and controversial yet intriguing swap.

EDIT - Toronto MAY be willing to retain roughly $1 million on Gardiner's deal, if Dubas and Babcock are really high on Myers and think he will sign an extension before the end of his deal.

Last edited:

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
Dont like this swap for WPG. The few Leaf fans I know arent huge fans of the guy. Like the offensive upside but hate Hate HATE his knack for making bonehead plays

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think both teams are happy with their guy, especially Toronto :sarcasm:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I could see an argument made for the fact that Jake Gardiner would be perfectly insulated on the Jets to do his thing, i.e. possibly replace prime Enstrom. Between Byfuglien, Trouba and Morrissey you still have more than enough of all the components Myers brings.

But I feel like the Leafs need Myers and Gardiner on the same team to really improve their blueline, not deal one for another.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Why would Winnipeg do this? What's the incentive for them? What's the reasoning? I don't see any argument about how this trade could make their team better.
Firstly, Jets D is unbalanced. RHD is very deep compared to LHD. This balances it out.

Gardiner is a one year top 4 D rental for them basically. They save a little bit of cap and don't have to trade assets later at the deadline to add a Dman for the playoffs.

The alternative is to trade Myers for picks or prospects now and then turn around and rent a Dman for similar picks and prospects at the deadline anyways. Maybe Chevy likes Gardiner and/or the idea of having him all year instead of just after the deadline?

The other alternative is that the Jets aren't even going to want a Dman at the deadline. In which case, yeah this makes no sense. Why wouldn't they though? They are contenders now. Depth is key.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Firstly, Jets D is unbalanced. RHD is very deep compared to LHD. This balances it out.

Gardiner is a one year top 4 D rental for them basically. They save a little bit of cap and don't have to trade assets later at the deadline to add a Dman for the playoffs.

The alternative is to trade Myers for picks or prospects now and then turn around and rent a Dman for similar picks and prospects at the deadline anyways. Maybe Chevy likes Gardiner and/or the idea of having him all year instead of just after the deadline?

The other alternative is that the Jets aren't even going to want a Dman at the deadline. In which case, yeah this makes no sense. Why wouldn't they though? They are contenders now. Depth is key.
The jets rhd are more offensive orientated of the pairings trouba, buff, myers vs morrissey, enstrom, kulikov/chiarot. Asides from Morrissey, the last two dmen are assigned with more sound defensive/stay at home play with limited offensive upside while the RHD is more offensive oriented.

Jets likely keep Myers because having depth is a good thing in today's NHL. Wpg also has Sami Niku who looks quite promising as a LHD

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Cant see the point for Jets to do this. It is a crapshoot between Kulikov and Gardiner who fits the role as nr 4, but my feeling is Kulikov and Buff works better then Gardiner and Buff. I dont think Buff could rover as much if he plays with Gardiner, since he also has is strenght in the offense and makes some terriblw play in his own zon.

Reactions: north49er

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Ideally, the Jets free up cap space and stock up on some futures by trading Myers. This achieves neither of those things.

I get the rationale, but it's just not what the Jets need, is it?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Jets wouldn't do it because Myers has been not bad this playoffs while leafs would probably do it. I for sure would do it, anything to get gardener off the team.

Reactions: north49er

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The Leafs don't need to trade Gardiner, they need a D 1st partner for Rielly, then Hainsey can drop down to shelter Gardiner. When Rielly got hurt, Gardiner moved up to play top pair with Hainsey and looked good doing it.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This looks bad for Winnipeg. While they are trading away their third pairing RD, they should be doing it for cap space/futures and not to replace a 3rd pairing D.

Morrissey-Trouba is set.
Buff - Gardiner would be an abomination to watch.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Ideally, the Jets free up cap space and stock up on some futures by trading Myers. This achieves neither of those things.

I get the rationale, but it's just not what the Jets need, is it?

In theory, if Trouba does sign a long-term deal, the Jets would have too much $ invested in their D. It would be pointless to flip Myers for a just as expensive D-man. They would just keep Myers, a known player, in that case.

So yes, I agree with you.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
This looks bad for Winnipeg. While they are trading away their third pairing RD, they should be doing it for cap space/futures and not to replace a 3rd pairing D.

Morrissey-Trouba is set.
Buff - Gardiner would be an abomination to watch.
Agree.
It'll be Buff/Niku next year. He looked after Morrissey as a pup and he'll do the same for Niku.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I don’t love or hate the idea, both are 2nd pairing guys. To me it’s about cap & asset management. If we can utilize Myers cap space better then I’m fine trading him. Gardiner or ? or Futures, not sure likely depends on what’s available out there. We could trade him for futures if we need cap space or trade him for Gardiner as a bridge to Niku or use the cap for another high end C like Stastny or someone else.

So I guess what I’m saying value wise it’s ok, but depends on other variables and too early to say now

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
No interest from the Jets.

We'd be moving Myers for cap relief purposes only so we'd be looking for a 2018 1st or RHD prospect that can replace Buff after his contract is up as the return.

Under team control on LD we have:

Morrissey, Kulikov and Chiarot all already under contract for next season as well as RFA rights to Morrow. There is also the possibility Enstrom returns on a cheap, short term deal.

AHL Defensman of the Year: Sami Niku will be pushing for a spot next year as well and looks like the real deal.

For prospects a little further away we have Samberg and Stanley coming as well. So I don't see a need or fit with Gardiner.

For the Leafs the basis of a Myers trade would be their 2018 1st or Liljegren with adds as needed. I personally would hope we'd be targeting the Oilers 10 OA, even if we had to add to get there.

Reactions: DRW204

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad