Gardiner as a forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
I'm sure they just signed him to a five year deal so they could convert him to a forward. Time to let this idea go.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It was never a good idea. Offensive skill doesn't mean you have more use of them as a forward. Gardiner gets the most out of his skills playing as a possession D. His value to the team relies on him tilting the ice, and he does that most effectively in the position he has now.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Hey guys, I know there was only 2 bright spots on the entire defense core last year, so why don't we take one of them, and make him a forward!!

How about no.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Is this real life.

Here is the first sentence from the article
"Jake Gardiner, a talented defenseman but polarizing at times for the Toronto Maple Leafs, sure endured his share of struggles last season."
Ya he is a good defenseman, but we need a 16th forward. And why do they use information from the start of last season. Poorly written article.

This has been discussed so many times :deadhorse There are already two other Gardiner threads.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
It's funny, I brought this up in his rookie season and everyone on here was going crazy calling me an idiot....and Gardiner was moved to forward the next game, I think he actually scored a goal IIRC.

In the end, Gardiner is too valuable of a player on defense. He has a skill set that 98% of the league's defensemen can't match. I think it will still take another couple of years, but I think he'll be an all-star d-man eventually.

geary17

Aug 9, 2006
Windsor
Gardiner gets this idea tossed around a lot because he played forward in high school. Between Jake and Morgan Rielly we obviously have the maximum amount of left-handed puck movers that we can play in our top-4 going forward. The question is can either of them play on a #1 shutdown pairing? Right now it would appear that Gardiner is the more likely to fill into that role (next to a legit #1 shutdown defenseman i.e. not Dion Phaneuf) but keeping in mind that many defensemen come into their prime later in their 20s than forwards, anything can happen.

With the way the game is progressing there is more focus on players that can keep up with the speed and stops and starts of the game. We are seeing defensemen who lack the speed or have lost a step quickly become irrelevant. Having young defensemen with well above average speed who show gifts in hockey sense like Rielly and Gardiner is something you'll want to hold on to going forward.

Just like Karlsson is better on D because he stands out more, the same can be said for our two young defensemen. Fast forwards who can score 20 goals are far more prevalent in the league than speedy puck moving defensemen.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
It's not interesting at all... our weakness is D, and we have a bunch of bottom 6 forwards so lets move one of our best d men to forward? doesnt get much dumber than that

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Not a terrible idea as he has played a lot of forward in his career. I think its worth a go but everyone is too silly to even let it become a possibility.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I can see this coming down to how Jake plays defensively. His offence is not the question, he should improve his 31 points high this season, for Jake to take the next step, it will be to become a complete defenceman.

If he does, he will stay on defence, if he doesn't, I can see the Leafs experimenting with him at fwd. Jake will tell us where he will play with his own play.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Nonis said they are not going to put Jake at forward. ergo. no. no 100 times no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad