Gardiner and Dermott

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If we build our defense around Jake ****ing Gardiner, not only will we not win anything, but we will likely waste years trying to overcome his mental mistakes like we did with Bryan McCabe... Anyone remember when McCabe was the Leafs' best defenseman? Except when he made many, many, many boneheaded mistakes that cost us series?

I wasn't advocating building our defense around Gardiner, but what other options are there if Rielly never hits his potential? Don't get me wrong, I love Rielly and really want him to succeed...but there is still a chance of Gardiner being the superior defenseman after this season.

Gardiner does make his mistakes, but the guy is also a fantastic defenseman that can absolutely take over a game with his puck movement. Plus he's 10x better than Rielly at running a power player play which is a huge aspect of the Leafs offense.

Again, i'm not saying that I want to sign Gardiner and trade Rielly, but it may become a serious option for management of Rielly can't prove he's a top pairing defenseman this season.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I wasn't advocating building our defense around Gardiner, but what other options are there if Rielly never hits his potential?

I don't know, I just think we've seen what we're going to see out of Gardiner, and ultimately he's just a better skating Bryan McCabe. McCabe was a great defenseman too... Most of the time. But both of them have that periodic brainfart that makes relying on them for 35+ minutes a major, major risk...

I also think Gardiner's going to price himself out of Toronto in a few years. Especially if the media keeps hyping him the way they've been doing...

banger1977

Oct 1, 2017
I don't know, I just think we've seen what we're going to see out of Gardiner, and ultimately he's just a better skating Bryan McCabe. McCabe was a great defenseman too... Most of the time. But both of them have that periodic brainfart that makes relying on them for 35+ minutes a major, major risk...

I also think Gardiner's going to price himself out of Toronto in a few years. Especially if the media keeps hyping him the way they've been doing...
I promise you, Gardiner will be traded next summer with one year left on contract so they get full value of trade. We have to many good left defenseman ready to play in NHL next year. Rosen/Borgman/Dermott/Neilson. Get used to saying goodbye to good players because that is what good teams do and not lose players for nothing. Reilly Zaitsev Rosen/Liljgren Hainsley/Carrick Dermott/Borgman
Still have lots of good defenseman after we trade Gardiner and we save 3 million plus next year exchanging Gardiner for one of the young kids for a better chance of signing John Tavares

banger1977

Oct 1, 2017
If we keep both Reilly and Gardiner we will need to trade a couple of very good and young LD. Gardiner will be commanding 6 million plus easy on his new contract. Reilly is 5 million and we get to keep him for the next 5 years. Lou signed Reilly to a great contract.

banger1977

Oct 1, 2017
If we keep both Reilly and Gardiner we will need to trade a couple of very good and young LD. Gardiner will be commanding 6 million plus easy on his new contract. Reilly is 5 million and we get to keep him for the next 5 years. Lou signed Reilly to a great contract.
Rosen will replace Gardiner as they play the same style and will be a lot cheaper too. Actually think Rosen maybe better then Gardiner with a year under is belt and a year under coach Mike Babcock. Rosen is the real deal and by next year a top 4 defenseman easy.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Rosen will replace Gardiner as they play the same style and will be a lot cheaper too. Actually think Rosen maybe better then Gardiner with a year under is belt and a year under coach Mike Babcock. Rosen is the real deal and by next year a top 4 defenseman easy.

Yikes. He’s played exactly zero nhl games yet he’s gonna possibly be better than one of the (approximately) top 45 defencemen in the league. This fan base is amazing.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Do you know what this board was wanting to do to Gardiner 4 years ago when he was the age Mo is now?

Hint - It was the opposite of wanting to keep him.
4 years ago Jake didnt even have 100 games of NHL experience. Morgan has 300+. Expecting a big year from him

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Do you know what this board was wanting to do to Gardiner 4 years ago when he was the age Mo is now?

Hint - It was the opposite of wanting to keep him.
Gardiner has much better tools than Rielly; Rielly making the same kind of progression that Gardiner did is starting to look very unlikely. I can't see Rielly ever being a #1 PP or PK option with his skill set, so where is the upside?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad