Gardiner and Dermott

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Im sure we will find a way to lock up our best defensemen at the moment when he needs an extension.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
I'd probably keep Gardiner over Rielly at this point, unless Rielly finally breaks out this season.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It might be tight, but I do think locking him up will be a priority. I think we'll have better clarity when we see what Nylander signs for. I do think that 3rd year with Marleau is also going to "clear up" after the final signing bonus pays out. Unlikely Marleau plays his 40yr old season for $1m.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
I don't see Dermott reaching Gardiners level. We still are waiting on Rielly to reach it and hes a player with a higher potential. We can't afford to lose Gardiner. Hes a core player. We should have enough money to resign him esp if we don't resign Bozak, JVR, Komarov and Marleaus contract finishes.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If Gardiner has a good year and we go on a deep cup run... he could command a hell of a lot on the open market. I think if we sign him, it will have to be at a pretty big discount to what he is ultimately worth.

Gardiner goes beast mode in the playoffs... especially in OT games, he's always the best defender on the ice in those situations.

I'm hopeful that Gardiner will want to stay in Toronto because he wants to win with this group and he's got friends on the team.

Most people still don't realize how good Gardiner is. But if we go deep into the playoffs and we do well in the regular season and he's our #1 guy... that makes him worth a lot as a UFA.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We can afford Gardiner, we just make sure JvR and Bozak are gone.

We need to sign Nylander ASAP. If he's healthy, I don't see how he's not going to be putting up the point totals Kessel put up in his prime with the Leafs.

I bet Nylander knows that too and that is why he's likely betting on himself instead of taking a cheaper long term deal at the moment.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I like Gardiner, but have to think we'd be in good shape if we can replace him from within by the time his contract expires. If one of Dermott/Rosen/Borgman can become a regular this season and another (or Liljegren) next season, that's potentially a solid step forward.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I think Dermott and Rielly could form a pair with one playin on their offhand.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
In 2 Years:

Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly Liljegren
Borgman Carrick
Dermott Rosen

It will be glorious.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
We really should keep Gardiner. Good defenseman like him are very rare in this league

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Do we really know what the real Jake Gardiner is yet...? Has he reached his peak yet?

I've been wondering how we'll handle the Gardiner situation as its only 2 years away and if re-signed, his contract would kick in with Matthews and Marner.

I'm very intrigued to see how this plays out.

LoovTrain

Stanley... Come Home
May 6, 2015
Toronto
Do you know what this board was wanting to do to Gardiner 4 years ago when he was the age Mo is now?

Hint - It was the opposite of wanting to keep him.

Exactamundo.

Compare 23 year old Gardiner with 23 year old Rielly.

Only one has faced the toughest QofC and Zone starts.... and it ain't Gardiner.

Only one plays PK... and it ain't Gardiner.

Only one gets his PP time cut... and it ain't Gardiner.

Picture Gardiner at 22/23 doing all the things Rielly has had to do....

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Do you know what this board was wanting to do to Gardiner 4 years ago when he was the age Mo is now?

Hint - It was the opposite of wanting to keep him.

It was just the idiots.....most of us really valued him because he always stepped up his game when it mattered (playoffs, high pace)

As for Gardiner being moved, it's unlikely. Look at when his contract ends and look how many comparable UFA D's are on the market. If we were to lose Gardiner, it'd probably because wanted to upgrade. I'm not too worried about it right now, but the 3rd year on Marleau complicates things (as I don't think we only need Gardiner but we should ideally add another piece to our D on top of it).

This is possible if Gardiner takes a discount, which is quite plausible.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Rather than these constant panics about the cap why don't people look at CapFriendly so they can see there is nothing to worry about with a ton of money coming off the books each year? No need to panic, Gardiner is not going anywhere unless he is traded as part of the package for an upgrade.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
Are you saying we can't find 2-3 mil extra a year? JVR, Bozak, Marleau, and even Kadri if we need. Not to mention there are a few other guys we don't need to keep. If Jake is worth it they will find the money for him.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Getting Gardiner extended will likely be tight. I hope they can pull it off, but I'm not all that optimistic. I think Dermott and Borgman will be NHLers by then, but I doubt they are good enough to carry a top four pairing.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
This could be a big year for Gardiner and Rielly. If Rielly once again fails to take a step forward and Gardiner doesn't look out of place on the top pairing, I have a feeling Rielly could be moved. With so much cheap young depth likely capable of playing top four minutes in the near future, plus Matthews/Marner/Nylander due for big raises, a move could be upcoming. I think Rielly could get a couple of really good pieces in return....but here's hoping Rielly turns into the player we're all hoping he can become and we are able to keep the core together.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I'm not sure if we can keep Gardiner after his current contract, will Dermott be a suitable replacement?

I think you may be right. Cap wise it might be too expensive to keep Gardiner, despite all the chest thumping from Leafs fans "he's not going anywhere" There might not be be similar replacement on LHD, but maybe Liljedren does the job on the RHD,.
Maybe the defence in 2019/20 is Reilly, Zaitsev, Dermot, Borgman, Rosen, Liljedren.
Besides the big three, Kapanen, Borgman and Rosen and others need need contracts and if they are NHL good and more, Gardiner might be squeezed out of Toronto. Sorry those of the real cap facts, but we really won't know till summer of 2019.

Last edited:

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
This could be a big year for Gardiner and Rielly. If Rielly once again fails to take a step forward and Gardiner doesn't look out of place on the top pairing, I have a feeling Rielly could be moved. With so much cheap young depth likely capable of playing top four minutes in the near future, plus Matthews/Marner/Nylander due for big raises, a move could be upcoming. I think Rielly could get a couple of really good pieces in return....but here's hoping Rielly turns into the player we're all hoping he can become and we are able to keep the core together.
If we build our defense around Jake f***ing Gardiner, not only will we not win anything, but we will likely waste years trying to overcome his mental mistakes like we did with Bryan McCabe... Anyone remember when McCabe was the Leafs' best defenseman? Except when he made many, many, many boneheaded mistakes that cost us series?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad