Garbutt gets call from NHL Safety for knee on Hall [UPD: 2 game suspension]

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I disagree. The Oilers are in the perfect position to not give a flying **** about the instigator. Its one of the "perks" of being so bad that you aren't going to win many game anyway. Just use it strategically - not that Eakins could ever be counted on to do that correctly either.
Gazdic is only gonna play five minutes on his best night anyway. If he gets tossed, oh well.
The PK is not as abysmal as the other facets of the Oilers game. And if we do give up a shortie, oh well. Its a small price to pay for the point being made.

Yeah, good point. I thought it was sort of strange as well that the Oilers were taking the other tact and saying things like just keep focused, don't take penalties reacting and make the opponent pay. Hall took a penalty 3 secs into the PP. Should've made it a good one..

Really who would fault Hall if he two handed somebody after that ****?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Until the Oilers make it known that they are willing to stand up for themselves this will continue to happen. Garbut should have at least been drawn some negative attention from a couple of the more capable physical guys. The reaction to being pushed around is pathetic and more than anything is very telling of this team's mentality.

Its why the bus stop gif so perfectly fits this team. Still the funniest thing I've ever seen in connection with the Oil.

2mrthqb.jpg

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
The Oilers are the punching bag of the league. Every team knows the Oilers players don't give a crap about each other so every player on the team is open game. Until they start standing up for each other, they will continue to be the losers of the league.

I'd love to watch an actual TEAM. Unfortunately players like Hall seem to care less about their fellow players. Him and everyone else can all go in my opinion.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
The Oilers are the punching bag of the league. Every team knows the Oilers players don't give a crap about each other so every player on the team is open game. Until they start standing up for each other, they will continue to be the losers of the league.

I'd love to watch an actual TEAM. Unfortunately players like Hall seem to care less about their fellow players. Him and everyone else can all go in my opinion.
At this point I would almost take any previous roster from past Oiler teams, some years we severly lacked talent but at least they had pride. This team lacks leadership and that should be Eakins number one priority. The team doesn't have any focus or direction towards playing as a team. I don't know if it's an age thing or maybe the wrong personalties necessary but it is quite evident they don't play for each other at all.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
better watch out next time Garbutt or else Hall will take matters into his own hands ;)
See Clutterbuk, Cal

Horseradish

Dec 9, 2005
London, ON
Yep. He's a Winnipeg boy born and raised. He ran Fasth last night in effect plowing Petry right into him. That was the disallowed goal.

Stars in general always seem to be a foot taller playing a club like ours. For sure they don't play LA this hard.

No, he's an Edmonton boy. I used to play hockey with and against him, and he's always been an arrogant little weasel pulling all kinds of crap like this his whole life. He had a penchant for injuring players as a kid, too.

His Dad was a minor pro goalie in the Oilers system in the 80s, if I'm not mistaken, and was at one time an Oilers radio broadcast talking head (something like the Reid Wilkins or Rob Brown gig).

Anyway, the family moved to Winnipeg when Garbutt was a teenager. He was always a hell of an athlete, but has always been a weasel of a player too. I doubt any minor discipline will prevent him from pulling this kind of crap again.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No, he's an Edmonton boy. I used to play hockey with and against him, and he's always been an arrogant little weasel pulling all kinds of crap like this his whole life. He had a penchant for injuring players as a kid, too.

His Dad was a minor pro goalie in the Oilers system in the 80s, if I'm not mistaken, and was at one time an Oilers radio broadcast talking head (something like the Reid Wilkins or Rob Brown gig).

Anyway, the family moved to Winnipeg when Garbutt was a teenager. He was always a hell of an athlete, but has always been a weasel of a player too. I doubt any minor discipline will prevent him from pulling this kind of crap again.

Thanks for the insight. I was actually hoping that we'd have the opportunity to sign him this past offseason because we lack this type of player to combat other players like him in the league.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Its why the bus stop gif so perfectly fits this team. Still the funniest thing I've ever seen in connection with the Oil.

2mrthqb.jpg

I know it's mean, but the position of Hall really makes that picture for me. Just have to forget what actually happened to him when that picture was taken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad