TSN: Gap in contract talks with Hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Dougie's agent if he wasn't starting there isn't doing his job and Waddell isn't doing his if he isn't using Krug... Hopefully they'll meet at an agreeable number in the middle. since I think this season is a bit of a fluke for Dougie since he's coming off a major injury. I can be wrong here but I hope I'm not..

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Am I the only one who read the thread title and was like "WTF are Dougie's clothing contracts being discussed here"
But is he the master of phone trickery?

gap-girls.png

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
i will take heat for this, and i love dougie, but he's not a player that i am excited about the prospect of watching him get slower than he is now over the next 6 years at a higher cap hit. with necas emerging as a legitimate top six and the looming extension of svech hanging over the financials, this is a luxury we aren't going to be able to afford. dundon doesn't seem to offer much by way of flexibility once he has a number in mind. $8 million a season isn't happening and if bean continues to show advancements and pesce continues to produce offensively, slotting will become challenging. it's just not a promising outlook for these two parties. we can't pay dougie his open market value and we already have players emerging that want that extra offensive opportunity.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
i will take heat for this, and i love dougie, but he's not a player that i am excited about the prospect of watching him get slower than he is now over the next 6 years at a higher cap hit. with necas emerging as a legitimate top six and the looming extension of svech hanging over the financials, this is a luxury we aren't going to be able to afford. dundon doesn't seem to offer much by way of flexibility once he has a number in mind. $8 million a season isn't happening and if bean continues to show advancements and pesce continues to produce offensively, slotting will become challenging. it's just not a promising outlook for these two parties. we can't pay dougie his open market value and we already have players emerging that want that extra offensive opportunity.
Honestly if Doogie wants more than 5 years or about $7.5M/yr I'd look at letting him walk and getting a #2RHD to play behind Pesce

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I trust everyone involved on our side to do the right thing. They aren't afraid to make unpopular moves if they think it's for the best. I'd like to keep Dougie for the right contract but I don't want to be stuck with a horrific contract as we see frequently across the league. If the worst case is Dougie was a part of three playoff teams and we move on, that's pretty great. I think we'd still put together a really good team should he be gone next year. And again, that's not to say I don't want to find a way that it works for both sides.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
I think up to $7.5M is the front office limit on aav and I think they’d prefer a term of 5 years or less. My guess would be, if it gets done, it’s 6 years at $7.25M. I don’t think it gets done anymore.

I have a hard time seeing Dougie accept anything less than 8x7. Call it a gut feeling but the reason Boston let him go was he priced himself out of what they wanted to pay him.

I know he has a place here but I just don't see him accepting a deal for less than at least 8m AAV. Unless he has a truly terrible year for the rest of this year.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The broken leg made it easier to picture the team without Hamilton. I'm hopeful that this current version of Dougie isn't the new version of him and it's only temporary, but if it's not, we really can't afford to overpay for what he used to be.

I think the answer is yes and no. This is only temporary, but this season has reminded us that the true version of Hamilton is a very streaky player.

When he's on, he can be the most dominant D out there. But is he on often enough to be worth that big price?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I'd pay Dougie around 7.3M for 7 years, $7M for 8 years, or $8M for 5 years. Personally, I think that the 3rd choice is ideal. It's short enough that Dougie can pursue one more big, Pavelski-like payday with someone else and for Carolina to pay him at a very high cap hit through his prime. A 5 year deal essentially would act as a bridge deal for guys like Keane, Fensore, and Honka (among other future draft picks) to develop as good right side options.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tryamw

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yeah this one is becoming a bit tougher. Like most here, the more I think about this situation the less willing I am to go crazy on this deal.

After last year Dougie was playing himself into the group of Aho, Svech, and Slavin, elite players where you pay what it takes to keep them. He's still coming back from the broken leg and won't shoot 1.5% forever of course, but now that we have more information I don't think you can look at the 47 games last year as a new normal. His play has still been very good, and I expect he's got many good years left but I think anything above $8m has to be off the table.

It makes sense Dougie's camp would want to keep playing out this season before talking again. I'm sure he'll get some positive regression for his goal scoring and I think his skating has improved as the year has gone on, so he could start looking like Dougie of last year again. But if he stays around this level, I don't think we can justify much more than $7.5m and I'd prefer not to go above 6 years for term. But if going to 7 years keeps the AAV manageable then so be it.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Yeah this one is becoming a bit tougher. Like most here, the more I think about this situation the less willing I am to go crazy on this deal.

After last year Dougie was playing himself into the group of Aho, Svech, and Slavin, elite players where you pay what it takes to keep them. He's still coming back from the broken leg and won't shoot 1.5% forever of course, but now that we have more information I don't think you can look at the 47 games last year as a new normal. His play has still been very good, and I expect he's got many good years left but I think anything above $8m has to be off the table.

It makes sense Dougie's camp would want to keep playing out this season before talking again. I'm sure he'll get some positive regression for his goal scoring and I think his skating has improved as the year has gone on, so he could start looking like Dougie of last year again. But if he stays around this level, I don't think we can justify much more than $7.5m and I'd prefer not to go above 6 years for term. But if going to 7 years keeps the AAV manageable then so be it.

Personally, I would go middling term and high cap hit on Dougie's extension. I'm not worried about impact on the game as far as Dougie is concerned, but rather about longevity.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I would grudgingly do 7x7. $500k more for each 1 year decrease. Those would be my maximums I think. I hope we can get it done but there's definitely a lot of reason to be doubtful about that. I do think there's some middle ground to be had but it'll depend on how much Dougie really wants to stay a Cane. There's no doubt in my mind that he could get a bigger contract on the open market than he would get from us. I also don't think it's the end of the world if he walks in free agency. I trust the team to replace him if need be. Not too interested in trading him at the deadline unless we can get a really significant return (he'd obviously need to agree to a deal with the acquiring team). I don't think that'll be in the cards though and what we'd be able to get in return wouldn't be worth significantly hindering our chances in the playoffs this year.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Agreed, if that's something Dougie is amenable to. Especially with Svech almost certainly being a bridge deal, I'd be fine with $8x5 for Dougie.

Yes, IMO a 5x$8M is an ideal extension. By the 4th season, you can decide which one of the Slavin/Pesce/Hamilton trio will be the daddy figure going forward, extend said guy, and let go or trade the others so that they can get their next pay day.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Moving forward with what's internal to the organization is a real gamble for a club that has championship aspirations now. They could easily find themselves in desperate need of a Top 4 RHD by November. We've seen the difficulty teams have had acquiring good defensemen at times recently. Hamilton getting an extra mil per and/or an extra year or two of term beyond what is ideal doesn't look as bad when you add in the cost of replacement to the equation.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Not a big surprise. He's going to want to be paid like he has been the 2019 Dougie all along. I wouldn't say he's injury prone but the injuries have kept him playing like 2019 Dougie for the full duration of his time as a Cane so far. I'd be fine with letting him test the market even if I feel like there is a team that will give him what he wants, but if they don't he can always come back on a lesser deal if he really wants to.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I'm well prepared to see Dougie traded prior to 4/12 if no extension can be agreed on by 4/1. Dundon is going to maximize the asset. I don't the want to see him gone, but 7 or 8 years at $8m or more does not compute

Reactions: Tryamw
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad