Gaming Chairs

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Anyone have a recommendation? When I put my office/gaming room together a few years ago I just bought a cheap office chair from office depot. But now that I am working from home regularly and spending more time gaming, it is killing my back.

I've looked at about 15 and can't decide so I figured I would ask here.

I've read either rave reviews or trash reviews (with very few in the middle) on some of the cheaper options sub $200. I've read nothing but great reviews on the SecretLab Titan but... I really don't know if I feel like dropping $400 on the chair. Thoughts?

Sep 19, 2008
An office chair is fine. I'm sitting in one right now.

Gaming chairs are also expensive too. But they are padded well. Some vibrate and some have speakers built in but I dont find any of that necessary.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'm 6'4 so I had difficulty finding office chairs with tall backs. I'm not a fan of the "gaming" aesthetic either, but comfort comes first and I also didn't want to spend $1000+ on a Steelcase or Herman Miller. Ended up getting a SecretLab Titan a couple of years ago and it's been great. Only had a couple of issues with the same armrest, but other than that, well worth $400. If you're the average person, a regular office chair will work fine, but keep in mind that you get what you pay for. The cheap chinese junk on amazon may seem like a good deal, but it's probably not going to last long.

Reactions: aleshemsky83

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm 6'4 so I had difficulty finding office chairs with tall backs. I'm not a fan of the "gaming" aesthetic either, but comfort comes first and I also didn't want to spend $1000+ on a Steelcase or Herman Miller. Ended up getting a SecretLab Titan a couple of years ago and it's been great. Only had a couple of issues with the same armrest, but other than that, well worth $400. If you're the average person, a regular office chair will work fine, but keep in mind that you get what you pay for. The cheap chinese junk on amazon may seem like a good deal, but it's probably not going to last long.

I'm in the same boat. Not quite 6'4 but my current office chair at home sucks. I have a Herman Miller at work but I am not wanting to come out of pocket $1,200+ for one for the house. I have back problems so getting a good chair is the most important thing. Good to know you like your Titan.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I got a DXRacer and the arm rests are trash on them. The seat itself is nice but the arm rest completely snapped off a few weeks ago. I put it back together with duct tape but I have no idea how long it's going to last.

I'm actually planning on getting a Herman Miller chair used when this whole coronavirus thing has at least calmed down. You can get some used for <$400. My work has Herman Miller chairs and I can see why they're so expensive but they're worth it. If you can grab one used for a reasonable price, I would definitely go with one of those.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think you're better just going with a nice office chair, there's a large markup on "gaming chairs" when really they're just office chairs with garish designs.

This is mostly true, though I do think there are some budget gaming chairs that offer features not seen in most similarly priced office chairs which can make them a little more attractive. Usually in the way of adjustables, particularly arm rests.

That said I've found most gaming chairs not terribly comfortable either.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I was thinking of buying one a few months back, walked into an empty Staples store sat on every chair including the gaming ones (which btw are uncomfortable as hell) ended up buying a Serta chair because it was the comfiest one. Super happy with it and yes gaming chairs are trash.

Reactions: Roman Fell

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
I'm in the same boat. Not quite 6'4 but my current office chair at home sucks. I have a Herman Miller at work but I am not wanting to come out of pocket $1,200+ for one for the house. I have back problems so getting a good chair is the most important thing. Good to know you like your Titan.
When you consider the price, quality, and features, it's pretty tough to find an office chair equivalent. For the new editions they've also improved some stuff like the armrests (which feel a little cheap in the 2018 version) while keeping the chair at $400. It's worth considering.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'm currently using the Hyken from Staples. Comfy, good support, and looks professional. The normal pricetag of $299.99 is kinda rough, but it frequently goes on sale for $150-200 which, in my opinion is very much worth it. If you are tall (say 6'+) you'll probably want to modify the headrest on it (just google it, there are a number of reddit posts about it). I'm 6'2" and with the modification its just about perfect for my height.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I got a DXRacer and the arm rests are trash on them. The seat itself is nice but the arm rest completely snapped off a few weeks ago. I put it back together with duct tape but I have no idea how long it's going to last.

I'm actually planning on getting a Herman Miller chair used when this whole coronavirus thing has at least calmed down. You can get some used for <$400. My work has Herman Miller chairs and I can see why they're so expensive but they're worth it. If you can grab one used for a reasonable price, I would definitely go with one of those.

I read the same thing about the Racer. I've read a lot of negative reviews about almost every gaming chair out there sans the Secretlab.

The used Herman Miller actually isn't a terrible idea. I didn't realize they had a 12 year warranty. :amazed:

I was thinking of buying one a few months back, walked into an empty Staples store sat on every chair including the gaming ones (which btw are uncomfortable as hell) ended up buying a Serta chair because it was the comfiest one. Super happy with it and yes gaming chairs are trash.

I am not buying for comfort though. My current chair, as cheap as it is, is reasonably comfortable. It comes down to support for the lower back and neck and that is really the initial reason I started looking at gaming chairs - tall backed chairs with tons of back and neck support. Do you feel your Serta gives you good support?

When you consider the price, quality, and features, it's pretty tough to find an office chair equivalent. For the new editions they've also improved some stuff like the armrests (which feel a little cheap in the 2018 version) while keeping the chair at $400. It's worth considering.

Yeah that is what initially drew me to the Titan. It is in a class of its own.

Although now that I know that the Herman Miller's come with a 12 year warranty, a used one isn't a bad idea either for the same price.

I'm currently using the Hyken from Staples. Comfy, good support, and looks professional. The normal pricetag of $299.99 is kinda rough, but it frequently goes on sale for $150-200 which, in my opinion is very much worth it. If you are tall (say 6'+) you'll probably want to modify the headrest on it (just google it, there are a number of reddit posts about it). I'm 6'2" and with the modification its just about perfect for my height.

This is actually a fantastic option and it has what most regular office chairs don't, something specifically for neck support. Well, at least now I have three options!

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

I also bought a DXRacer on a steep discount I want to say 5 or so years ago. I agree on the arm rests...

I will say, it's a decent chair. Out of the box, my chair had issues with quality control in the swivel and the lumbar support pillow came deformed, but it's lasted a long time and does a decent job of keeping my butt pain-free. It's noisy to move around in (weird noises that I haven't been able to figure out...).

It certainly lasted longer than my old cheapo office chair, but I think the office chair was more comfortable....sweatier, though. :laugh:

Bang for buck, I do think you get a better deal with a high quality office style chair...plus I'm not big on the DXRacer look.

Disclaimer: I am 6'5'' and an embarrassing weight.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I also bought a DXRacer on a steep discount I want to say 5 or so years ago. I agree on the arm rests...

I will say, it's a decent chair. Out of the box, my chair had issues with quality control in the swivel and the lumbar support pillow came deformed, but it's lasted a long time and does a decent job of keeping my butt pain-free. It's noisy to move around in (weird noises that I haven't been able to figure out...).

It certainly lasted longer than my old cheapo office chair, but I think the office chair was more comfortable....sweatier, though. :laugh:

Bang for buck, I do think you get a better deal with a high quality office style chair...plus I'm not big on the DXRacer look.

Disclaimer: I am 6'5'' and an embarrassing weight.
6'7" and prob a more embarrassing weight here and I went with something like this...

Black 400LB Mid-Back Chair GO-2073-LEA-GG | Bizchair.com

There was no way I was getting one of those dinky racing chairs lol

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Reactions: Hammettf2b

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Not one person thinking outside the box here lol. Why not take a used seat out of something like a Denali and convert it? Hell even get an AC/DC converter and get all the buttons and heated seat and lumbar functions going... :nod:

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I read the same thing about the Racer. I've read a lot of negative reviews about almost every gaming chair out there sans the Secretlab.

The used Herman Miller actually isn't a terrible idea. I didn't realize they had a 12 year warranty. :amazed:

I am not buying for comfort though. My current chair, as cheap as it is, is reasonably comfortable. It comes down to support for the lower back and neck and that is really the initial reason I started looking at gaming chairs - tall backed chairs with tons of back and neck support. Do you feel your Serta gives you good support?

Yeah that is what initially drew me to the Titan. It is in a class of its own.

Although now that I know that the Herman Miller's come with a 12 year warranty, a used one isn't a bad idea either for the same price.

This is actually a fantastic option and it has what most regular office chairs don't, something specifically for neck support. Well, at least now I have three options!

I had an older chair that was giving my lower back trouble, that was actually the reason I even considered buying a gaming chair because I thought gaming chairs were this new thing that would help with that, after sitting on some of them (gaming chairs) the lumbar support wasn’t good enough, the Serta actually offers better lumbar support because it has more cushioning in that area to support the lower back.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Yeah normally this is what you would do, not sure how feasible it is in the current shutdown environment though. Go to a place like Staples with a bunch of chairs and just sit in all of them playing with the adjustments to see what feels most comfortable. Also watch for sales, as at Staples at least chairs tend to cycle through being $100-200 off and maybe once or twice a year they'll all be on sale.

Might not find one that's 'perfect' but it lets you get the best fit available and compare comfort to price.

Sep 19, 2008
Yeah normally this is what you would do, not sure how feasible it is in the current shutdown environment though. Go to a place like Staples with a bunch of chairs and just sit in all of them playing with the adjustments to see what feels most comfortable. Also watch for sales, as at Staples at least chairs tend to cycle through being $100-200 off and maybe once or twice a year they'll all be on sale.

Might not find one that's 'perfect' but it lets you get the best fit available and compare comfort to price.
Walked into an Office Depot a few months ago and checked every chair. Found one for around 100 dollars on sale. It's okay but the issue is the armrests don't go up and down

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

I've seen them on sale multiple times in the past for $120. Very good value at that price.

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
Looking for a new chair too right now. I noticed so many new brands on Amazon, it's really hard to choose the best one

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
I found positive reviews about Esright Electric Recliner. I found positive reviews about Esright Electric Recliner and decided to buy it. I checked thebestreclinersreviews to find a perfect one for my living room. Luckily it doesn't cost much. Can't wait to receive my purchase.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad