Games in the summer: Should the NHL copy the NBA?

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
The thing is the OP doesn’t ask about setting up a summer hockey league but for some reason an NHL summer basketball league.

Yeah, I can see that.

Flipping pucks through hoops and personal fouls... I like where this is going!

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
It's already summer and the playoffs will continue for another month. If anything, the season should end earlier.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
They should stream Da Beauty League and the league in Massachusetts (Foxboro?). Both have a ton of NHLers and prospects competing and staying sharp during the summer.

Reactions: Peat

member 157595

Can Kris Letang play in this hockey basketball league? If not then GTFO.

Reactions: DaveG

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
The NBA and the NHL have almost coincidental schedule, at the small exception that the NBA doesnt entirely stop it's activity during summer time with a summer league, with a few teams taking part if a handful of basketball game in between July 6 and July 17.

The competition is still very popular in the USA and getting more interest every years. So that gets me wondering : should the NHL try to replicate the NBA success by also holding a seperate basketball league in the summer?

It could either be in a similar format to the NBA, with the prospects and young guns showcasing their skills for the next season, or just have regular players showing the world what kind of athletes they are.
3 vs 3 summer hockey league would be cool to have a few teams for whoever feels like going aka whoevers not in the playoffs / wc and wants to play some more

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
There is the rookie tournaments in September. Would be nice to see a series of games where the younger players on NHL teams were mixed in with prospects. Just to give us something more than nothing...

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
I would say, yes. Most sports is able to play with ice indoor even during summer. Some local rinks all over the places have ice rink still operating year-round even with hot temperatures. I do not see anything wrong with switching hockey to summer games as it's the only time of the year where there are no interruptions to the regular season.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
They should stream Da Beauty League and the league in Massachusetts (Foxboro?). Both have a ton of NHLers and prospects competing and staying sharp during the summer.

They do stream a radio broadcast of Da Beauty League, i'd bet there will be live streaming of it next year or soon.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Beat me to it, although I'd hate them to get too serious about it.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
ESPN has truly invested in their NBA contract. They have multiple shows there and they will even show the NBA Draft combine. ESPN has become mini NBA TV. We could only wish NBCSN was a mini NHL Network.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Why would you want hockey players in a basketball tournament?
Baskwtball players playing a hockey tournamwnt would be more understandable since it would be hilarious.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

There sometimes are live streams of both those. I watched Eichel a few times in the Foxboro league, he put out very little effort, a lot of fancy passes his teammates weren't expecting or couldn't handle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad