Pre-Game Talk: Games 1 to 10 for the 2018-2019 Oilers Schedule

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Did yall see the schedule for our first month next year?

Devils, Bruins, Rangers, Jets, Boston, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Washington, Nashville, Chicago

Brutal

Maybe it's early, but it's gonna be a long summer in a couple short weeks anyways. Thread discussion will get a little more interesting as draft day and July 1 approach and we start to see what teams will look like come September.

I think we're facing some largely established good teams and systems whose player movements will not move the needle a great deal. Good teams will stay good.

I like the concrete tests apparent in the first 10 games against top 10 teams.
Bruins, Jets, Preds, Pens, Caps (top 5 or 6 teams in the league) comprise of 7/10 games.
Devils, Rangers, Blackhawks not to be taken lightly ever.

We will be forced to be on our toes early in the season, I think it will be good way to avoid easing into the season assuming McLellan isn't still playing training camp.

I like that the "routine" is broken with BOA openers. Fewer assumptions going into the season will be a good thing with the change in schedule norm. Good opportunity to establish and fine tune our game with a new staff before we even touch a divisional opponent.

Early bird thread, but figure the schedule is out, might as well.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I like it. Gives the guys a chance to prove that last season was a fluke by getting the tough game out of the way first.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I like it. Gives the guys a chance to prove that last season was a fluke by getting the tough game out of the way first.
Honestly if they can go 0.500 in October, they have a good chance at the season, if they only win like...2...they will be out by December again.

Reactions: ToeMcDrag83 and A91

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Honestly if they can go 0.500 in October, they have a good chance at the season, if they only win like...2...they will be out by December again.

Yup
Whats nice about this is that we still have 8 games vs Calgary/Vegas who we absolutely owned last season to lean on if we do stuggle.

Edit: Yes stuggle not struggle

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I love it, mainly because I want McLellan out. I’m tired of 97 bailing out our coach and manager. I can’t believe McLown got a free pass, and his buddy gets a head coaching gig crucial to the development of our youth. Then again Connor will probably carry us to a .500 start anyway :rolly:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yup
Whats nice about this is that we still have 8 games vs Calgary/Vegas who we absolutely owned last season to lean on if we do stuggle.

Edit: Yes stuggle not struggle

Maybe we can face Vegas 4th string goalie again. That was an outlier situation.

But yes, WC is on, I think this is too early for an Oilers GDT. But that's jmo.

We don't even know the lineups of the teams involved yet in October. Its hard to say much that is informed about those games at this time.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

So who are those guys for the Oilers that will rise up on the proving ground?

I mean beyond McD, Drai, Nuge?

This team has DEPLORABLE depth. We're not even close to filling out a topsix.

This team was bad for several reasons which have not been addressed. Pretending this is 16-17 rewrite all over again despite no longer having that lineup isn't realistic.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's a pretty tough sched, Rangers are the only team in that bunch that looks like they won't be in the playoff mix and a lot of the Eastern Conference which doesn't work well for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad