GameCenter Live vs Center Ice (can't discuss illegal streams)

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
So I was able to get a package last year since I changed cable providers that let me have Center Ice for the entire season. This year, I'm debating between GameCenter and CI, and was hoping to get some ideas about which one is better for me. I know GCL does replays and you can watch one your iPad, however I keep reading about delays in the feed. Does GCL do pre-game?

So which one would you all recommend and if you could briefly explain why?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I went with GCL for mobile reasons, plus I could always plug my computer into the TV if I want to watch on the tube, too. I don't remember about pregame stuff though, but I could swear that at least some games had a little pregame coverage, but not all. There is about a minute or so delay though, so bare that in mind if you intend to participate in a GDT on a neutral board.

Also, if memory serves, not all Center Ice games are in HD, right?

Pailhead

Oct 30, 2011
Plymouth, MI
Wow. With DirecTV I got maybe two or three games a week without HD feed.

When I had Center Ice on DirecTV, I think the home feed for games in Edmonton and/or Calgary were sometimes not in HD. I might be wrong on the teams, but they were definitely home broadcasts for one or two Canadian teams.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
Wow. With DirecTV I got maybe two or three games a week without HD feed.

Same, Center Ice worked great for me with DirecTV.

Going with GCL this year because I don't have a TV anymore. I think it just depends on your living situation, not much difference between the two.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Same, Center Ice worked great for me with DirecTV.

Going with GCL this year because I don't have a TV anymore. I think it just depends on your living situation, not much difference between the two.

I in general agree, but I think your average technophile who's able to get a stream directly to their big-screen TV (via HTPC, laptop connection, Xbox 360, etc.) will benefit more from GCL. You're pretty much guarenteed every game is in HD, you can get your choice of home or away announcers, and you're not tied down to a cablebox, satellite box, or the like.

For your average technophobe, CI works better because let's be honest--how hard is it to change the bloody channel? :)

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I'm about to pull the trigger on GCL, since it'll allow me to watch anywhere on my phone or iPad.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I'm about to pull the trigger on GCL, since it'll allow me to watch anywhere on my phone or iPad.
Technically, it won't if the game is blacked out in the area or on national TV.

Last feb my wife and I made a trip to Chicago (I know we're crazy), and the hotel we were in did not have CSN-Chicago. The best I could do was the radio feed since the GCL feed was blacked out for any Chicago-based phones or IP addresses.

Thus, if you travel to a market with the 'hawks playing in that broadcast market--make sure you have access to a TV feed :)

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Yeah, I live in Atlanta so I don't see why I'd have any issues with any broadcast. Every once in a blue moon we get the Preds, but that's rare.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Do you get NBCSN? There's like 18 national broadcasts this year you won't receive on the package, but can watch on Live Extra if you get the channel.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Yeah, I live in Atlanta so I don't see why I'd have any issues with any broadcast. Every once in a blue moon we get the Preds, but that's rare.

Figured. In PDX we occasionally get a Canucks feed on Root Sports, but even then it doesn't seem to be blacked out since we're a good 300miles away.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
Do you get NBCSN? There's like 18 national broadcasts this year you won't receive on the package, but can watch on Live Extra if you get the channel.

I do.

The issue with that is that I enjoy watching all the games, and since I can watch replays on GCL, it's most likely the route I'm taking.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I do.

The issue with that is that I enjoy watching all the games, and since I can watch replays on GCL, it's most likely the route I'm taking.

No, I understand that. I was just saying that those games will be blacked out on GCL, but if you have it you will be able to access all 82 live via mobile/tablet/computer :)

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
For blacked out games you usually have to wait a day or two and then you can rewatch.
The "national Broadcast" blackouts don't just happen for NBC/VS, but also for NHLN. That last one is a bite-in-the-arse because it's usually only offered as top-tier in cable/satellite packages. I managesd to sweet-talk Xfinity down on ours but if you don't have it, my guess is that it's an additional 5-10 games for the 'hawks that can be blacked out for CI/GCL.

I do know, though, that at least here in PDX the local BWW restaraunts usually have no problem throwing the game on for us iof it's on NHLN.

Nothingman*

For the NBCS games you can watch via the xfinity website if it is not on TV in your hotel room. I have to do that. The blackouts piss me off the most. But CI has so few HDR games and no option for home broadcast. I don't mind the delay so much but it varies between 1-2 minutes. All Canadian broadcasts are not in HF on xfinity for some reason.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I have CI Through Bell Satellite in Canada and only a few games a year are in SD, the rest are HD and up 11 HD games at once depending on nightly schedule.
Only thing in SD is NHLN for some reason grrrr.
All CDN teams games up here are HD even Calgary, so it is hard to explain.

chico_hawk

Jun 23, 2007
twitter.com
Rogers is pushing GCL in Canada (maybe cuz with their new deal they are showing a lot more games on "regular" TV than were available in previous years on those channels).

It has become confusing tho - cuz subscribing to CI may give you all the non-blacked out games, but you'll presumably be paying the same price for fewer games (since Rogers will be showing a lot more out of market games on various "regular" channels).

Apparently Leafs TV won't be showing any games (which removes those games from black-out status), but Buffalo made a separate deal with Bell so those games are blacked out (unless you subscribe separately for them - but they are only available thru Bell).

I suspect a lot of non-Leaf fans may just wait to see how many games will be available on Rogers channels before committing any money to GCL or CI, cuz they've made it very difficult to figure out exactly how much you're paying for the incremental out-of-market games not available on regular Rogers channels

The strategy tho, clearly seems to be pushing people into GCL in Canada, in effect (more than?) replacing the potential CI revenues lost

Last edited:

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I have CI Through Bell Satellite in Canada and only a few games a year are in SD, the rest are HD and up 11 HD games at once depending on nightly schedule.
Only thing in SD is NHLN for some reason grrrr.
All CDN teams games up here are HD even Calgary, so it is hard to explain.

I have CI with Shaw. After suffering through some awful SD games the year previous, I don't recall a single Blackhawk game this past season that wasn't in HD.

As for regular TV, yes, it is very confusing to figure out exactly what will be aired here. TSN had a fair number of Blackhawk games in the past but that has changed.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I have CI with Shaw. After suffering through some awful SD games the year previous, I don't recall a single Blackhawk game this past season that wasn't in HD.

As for regular TV, yes, it is very confusing to figure out exactly what will be aired here. TSN had a fair number of Blackhawk games in the past but that has changed.
You're in Canada though--a country that throughly embraces this great sport rather than treats it as an afterthought. Here in Portland away from any major hockey market Comcast only has all of 2 HD channels for CI, the rest are SD. I can't speak for out east, Chicago, or elsewhere, but here it's still a crapshoot if you're getting a 480 game for the 'hawks or a 1080 one (assuming Vs, NHLN, or NBC aren't airing it).

I'll stick with GCL; I can stream at least 720 online guarenteed. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad