Gamecenter/CenterIce

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
Just figured out that the hockey I've been watching all season on Fox Sports Florida was because of the Center Ice free preview in January. I need to figure out an alternative for watching games. I'd like to have some input from folks that use either/both. I don't usually get to watch games right when they start and my DVR has been great for that. I have a feeling that Gamecenter isn't going to give me that same option. I don't want to wait 48 hours to watch the game either.

Any advice for someone that wants to watch the game 30-60 minutes after it's started without missing periods? I really don't want to go back to firstrowsports now that I've been spoiled. :(

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I bought gamecenter for 50 bucks. Worth every penny. I only had issues during the first game. Otherwise it's been perfect. Games are blacked out that are on NBCsports or NBC or in your local area.

I think you can start the game from the beginning, no problem if you're 30-60 min behind. I don't think you have to wait 48 hours.

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
If that's true, I might drop my directv altogether after my 1 year deal is done and pricing goes up. Kids watch Netflix mostly anyways. Wife doesn't watch TV much at all. We hadn't had any kind of cable or satellite for years before this. Only reason I got it was because it was cheap.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If that's true, I might drop my directv altogether after my 1 year deal is done and pricing goes up. Kids watch Netflix mostly anyways. Wife doesn't watch TV much at all. We hadn't had any kind of cable or satellite for years before this. Only reason I got it was because it was cheap.

I watch it via my comp, hooked up to a larger comp screen. I can't say how it works on an xbox or hooking it up to a tv. It's perfect on my iphone as well.

If I can remember, i'll wait 30 minutes or so and make sure I can start the game from the beginning. Almost positive it can be done.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I too don't watch games right on time since I work overnight at the Fan590 here in Toronto. (namedrop ;))

I know for a fact that you can start games from the beginning at any time after they've started. You can also shut off the "see scores" option so if you're late to watching a game and it's already over, you won't see the final score before watching it.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I have Centre Ice. Only $50 for the season, two payments of $25.

I have DVR also. Whenever they play, day before I make sure its taping just incase I am going to miss a game. Like tomorrow night I'll be @ work, and even though I'll be listening over the internet radio, I'd still like to watch the game when I get home or next day.

Rockaway Rob

Jun 30, 2007
I watch it via my comp, hooked up to a larger comp screen. I can't say how it works on an xbox or hooking it up to a tv. It's perfect on my iphone as well.

If I can remember, i'll wait 30 minutes or so and make sure I can start the game from the beginning. Almost positive it can be done.

Last season I used my PS3 to watch the games and I had no issues. This season I've been using the XBOX version and that has been trouble free so far. The nice thing about the XBOX version is that there is an exclusive split screen option so you can watch two games at once.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I bought Gamecenter this year for $50. Well worth it since I don't have cable and I hate crappy streams. I just use a proxy when the game is loading and turn it off while the game is playing and no local blackouts for me!

King Panther

ElGrandeDbagSupreme
Feb 28, 2010
Fullerton, CA
Just figured out that the hockey I've been watching all season on Fox Sports Florida was because of the Center Ice free preview in January. I need to figure out an alternative for watching games. I'd like to have some input from folks that use either/both. I don't usually get to watch games right when they start and my DVR has been great for that. I have a feeling that Gamecenter isn't going to give me that same option. I don't want to wait 48 hours to watch the game either.

Any advice for someone that wants to watch the game 30-60 minutes after it's started without missing periods? I really don't want to go back to firstrowsports now that I've been spoiled. :(

I use Gamecenter on nhl.com. I usually dont start watching the game till its in the third. I just hit the button that shoots you back to the beginning and make sure i selected the Florida feed. Pretty cheap too, like 40 or 50 for the whole season. I highly recommend it.

floridashawn

Jun 13, 2007
Broward, FL
I have Gamecenter for three years now, and it has worked great. I watch the games on my PS3, and the quality is great.

^^ This. Watch it in my ps3 in HD. Perfect quality. You can start games from the beginning or join in progress. $50 is a steal and it has paid for itself already. Even use GC to watch highlight packages from games the next day.

Bottom line is if you have a PS3 or XBox why would anyone get Center Ice?

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011
Up until this year I was more than satisfied with NHL game center. Have been using for the last three years while on the road. This year however, I began finding that games that should have been televised locally were not so I inquired and was told I had to phone and tell them the local IP number (can be found through Google) which was a pain in the rear end because no one would answer the phone for like forever. Did this a couple of times and found that IP number would change even in the same city from day to day so another 30 minute phone call of sitting and waiting was required. Finally totally PO'd after half a dozen times doing this wanted amswers and after a long wait once again got through to some guy from India who I couldn't understand and who had no clue where Tucson is. Had to to spell it and repeat it like 10 times till finally so PO'd I told them where to shove the service. Anyway just saying if you're ever trying to use while on the road good luck and if you do require some assistance you will be talking to some clown from India that doesn't even know the names of American cities. Truly still PO'd!! Back to listening to Panthers on the radio... I've been to seven worlds fairs folks and thought I'd seen it all!!

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Up until this year I was more than satisfied with NHL game center. Have been using for the last three years while on the road. This year however, I began finding that games that should have been televised locally were not so I inquired and was told I had to phone and tell them the local IP number (can be found through Google) which was a pain in the rear end because no one would answer the phone for like forever. Did this a couple of times and found that IP number would change even in the same city from day to day so another 30 minute phone call of sitting and waiting was required. Finally totally PO'd after half a dozen times doing this wanted amswers and after a long wait once again got through to some guy from India who I couldn't understand and who had no clue where Tucson is. Had to to spell it and repeat it like 10 times till finally so PO'd I told them where to shove the service. Anyway just saying if you're ever trying to use while on the road good luck and if you do require some assistance you will be talking to some clown from India that doesn't even know the names of American cities. Truly still PO'd!! Back to listening to Panthers on the radio... I've been to seven worlds fairs folks and thought I'd seen it all!!

I DVR every game, but have to work some game (like tonight), so I just listen to the game on internet radio. Really love listening to Randy Moeller on radio, he is such a hoot!

"Mama cooked the breakfast with no hogg!"

"Stop lookin' at me swan!"

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
So, I ended up getting NHL Gamecenter LIVE! It's very nice. I'll probably end up watching more non-panther games with the 10 minute condensed games, which is cool. Also good for watching a Panthers game quickly without staying up until Stupid-O'Clock. Vault is great too. Wish they had more games from the '96 Panthers' cup run :(

Clockwork4168

#CatsAreComing
Oct 16, 2012
Hialeah, FL
gamecenter live

This is my first time getting Gamecenter Live. Since it arrived on the xbox I decided to give it a shot but the experience is not always great. While watching live games it tends to lag too much (even though my xbox is wired to the router). Replays are okay, but again, lagging is always the issue. Sometimes it restarts the game and tends to freeze when I try fast forwarding to where I left off. The tablet app, while convenient, also suffers from lagging. It could just be me though and maybe its better on a PC. I do like the Vault stuff they have though.

Jan 19, 2006
Just cancelled my Center Ice.

It's my small gesture - a way of thanking the NHL for the lock-out.

Doubt I'll be renewing in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad