GDT: Game XXXIII: A v P: 8pm ET / 6pm MT

Which character would you prefer to avoid at all costs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I've been offline most of the day. Can someone link me to the League statement/apology?

Here you go.

giphy.gif

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think he’s done fine up until Kuemper. Kuemper trade 0 sense and most certainly didn’t address the position which needed at least some term associated with the move.

The good thing is, he doesn't have term, so we can shop for a legit goalie this off-season if we need to. I still want to see how he plays the rest of the season though.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Still fails to address the fact that Nashville had 5 guys on the ice during their change just a second later. Why one team is penalized when they have the puck, in their own zone mind you, over the other is idiotic. Especially considering that team had received the last 3 penalties, including a double minor that was called right after blatant interference and 3 crosschecks by a player on the other team went ignored by the same ref who called the double minor, along with numerous other obvious calls went ignored in the entirety of the 3rd period. Bottom line, the officiating last night was HORRIBLE and one-sided in favor of the team that ultimately won. They'll never admit they were wrong or apologize, nor will they have any discipline administered to the refs for it. It's why everyone freaking hates the officiating in this league.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Still fails to address the fact that Nashville had 5 guys on the ice during their change just a second later. Why one team is penalized when they have the puck, in their own zone mind you, over the other is idiotic. Especially considering that team had received the last 3 penalties, including a double minor that was called right after blatant interference and 3 crosschecks by a player on the other team went ignored by the same ref who called the double minor, along with numerous other obvious calls went ignored in the entirety of the 3rd period. Bottom line, the officiating last night was HORRIBLE and one-sided in favor of the team that ultimately won. They'll never admit they were wrong or apologize, nor will they have any discipline administered to the refs for it. It's why everyone freaking hates the officiating in this league.

Apparently the rulebook is they need to be within 5 feet of the bench for it to be a legal change - that was the main point of contention. Nashville is allowed to have those 5 guys since they all changed within 5 feet of the bench. It was a horrible call when you consider the context of what they let go and the current state of the game (OT), but it's a technically a good call by the books.

Again, my problem with this is that they don't call a penalty here. They call a penalty much later after Nate has been off, and Mikko skated 15 back into his own zone.

The ref probably wanted to see the play unfold, if there was no advantage, however slight, there probably wouldn't have been a penalty. Again it's still a bullshit call given the context of the game, but its technically correct.

Btas

Jul 12, 2021
Again, my problem with this is that they don't call a penalty here. They call a penalty much later after Nate has been off, and Mikko skated 15 back into his own zone.
Newbie here and English is not my first language so pardon the mistakes...but the problem, if it really happened was at the 3/5 seconds of the video. The video quality is awful and tried to watch 1000 times and freeze to try to understand. But you can see Miko was getting to the ice to replace someone coming from the opposite side from where Mack was coming. When that exchange happened you can see 3 avs players plus Mack coming back to the bench later. The thing looks crazy because it's not Mack that Miko was replacing I think and then we can only see 2 avs fighting the puck and Mack getting out. Again I can not say for sure if Miko touched the ice before the other one getting out...now back to lurking.

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Newbie here and English is not my first language so pardon the mistakes...but the problem, if it really happened was at the 3/5 seconds of the video. The video quality is awful and tried to watch 1000 times and freeze to try to understand. But you can see Miko was getting to the ice to replace someone coming from the opposite side from where Mack was coming. When that exchange happened you can see 3 avs players plus Mack coming back to the bench later. The thing looks crazy because it's not Mack that Miko was replacing I think and then we can only see 2 avs fighting the puck and Mack getting out. Again I can not say for sure if Miko touched the ice before the other one getting out...now back to lurking.

Helluva first post.

But I can't really tell what's going on other than that when the ref suddenly decides to call a penalty, everything on the ice looks fine. Even if there was some split-second infraction there, it's insanely ticky-tack, especially in light of what they let go at the end of the 3rd period, and a downright criminal way to end such a good game.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
This clears it up… very tight call but Rants playing the puck makes it a penalty. Nashville was within 5’ and didn’t have a player in the midst of the change with the puck. So… technically correct call by the rule. Sucks and IMO shouldn’t have been called… but hey call the rulebook right?! :laugh:

You may well be correct, but if that is the case, in every hockey game played since the 5 foot rule was refined, it is broken at least a dozen times, perhaps a dozen by each team. Just casually remembering this game, I can recall a few time when a Pred or an AV was way further than Mac - enough that I said to myself, "Oh crap, here we go again with the TMM penalties." So I liken this to baseball umpires calling balls and strikes. Some Umps call the inside corner. But if they always call the inside corner throughout the game, the team adjusts. A ref can't allow 20 foot changes all game, then start calling 5.25 foot changes later on. And as @wayninja points out, his arm goes up quite a bit after Mac was safe and Miko skated nearly 20 feet with the puck. So the league might hide behind that perspective, but I would have a lot more respect ( which is not much since I have had zero for over 2 decades) if they just came out and said that the guy is human and he made a mistake. It happens all the time,. MacDermid flattened somebody a few games back. They did not want to fight him, so they punched Jost, who somehow got a penalty. The league announced they were cutting down on cross checking this year, yet right before Mikko' penalty, the same guy opted against calling three blatant cross checks. But 5.25 feet? That is a little silly to me. I wish I had time to watch a team feed and see how many times that rule was violated throughout the game.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
They gotta hand the reins to Francouz for a bit here, no?

He got the start against Seattle and didn't exactly look like a plus man in net. Even the Leafs game he looked a lot less confident than I'd like to see. Maybe hes rounding into form but I don't see any big upgrade there.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He got the start against Seattle and didn't exactly look like a plus man in net. Even the Leafs game he looked a lot less confident than I'd like to see. Maybe hes rounding into form but I don't see any big upgrade there.
Still he has looked better than Kuemper has the last two outings. The McCann goal was the only truly brutal goal francouz allowed. Frank aint an upgrade but Kuemper is struggling the last few games. I expect both guys to beat the Yotes.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

IDK, two of the three goals against vs Seattle were unstoppable deflections. From the recent games I've checked out Francouz has been stopping the stoppable shots and making a couple 10-bell saves.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

I've seen better video evidence that Bigfoot exists.

Here's the same footage but at a better angle and not looking all stupid ass choppy. Hmmmm there's only ever 3 Avs on the ice at the time...ever. The Avs never have more than three, the official completely blew the call. There's no secret interpretation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad