GDT: Game XIV: Summon...the Kraken: COL @ SEA 10pm ET / 8pm MT

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
I haven't, unfortunately, been able to watch the previous a couple of games, but based on the GDT comments Rantanen seems to be ok as a center? I have always thought that he has the potential to be a dominant big center with his skill set and play-style and it is nice to see him get an opportunity to show what kind of an operator he is at C position.

His FO% seems to be quite brutal at least in this game, but I think that is an area that he can easily improve. Just practice it with Landy a it should improve quite quickly.

How do you guys, who have seen him center the full 60 minutes of the games feel about keeping him at that position? Where would he fit in? MacK is going to be the 1C. Would it make sense to drop Kadri from 2C to 3C? That would potentially be the deepest C core in the whole league, if Rantanen pans out to his potential at that position.
dropping Mikko to 2nd line centre would jus open so many options for us on the team and trade front. we wouldnt have to give up too many assets as well...

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Sakic is going to wait until Bura, Nuke and Kuemper are minutes away from becoming UFA to try to get something done. Like he did with Landy, Grubauer and Saad last year.
Then he'll let them walk and pick someone off of waivers and pretend they will do the job of replacing them

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
In terms of priority I think Kuemper is number 1, followed by Nuke and Bura. Kadri likely wants to come back to Toronto and will cost huge money

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Nuke and Girard when playing well are defining features of our identity and style. Gotta keep them. Whenever I get irritated with Girard getting overpowered I just remember that we were garbage until he got here and he changed our style completely with his transition game

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well this was a fun win. Not bad for a team whose window has closed.

Went kind of how I predicted too. They chase Dreidger and then their plan to hide Grubauer was gonna backfire, because then he'd have to play with no warmup.

Seattle is not a good team, but the Avs seemed extra fired up for this one. I would bet that Grubie's parting comments motivated them the same way ROR's comments did.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Man, I wish we had this Kadri every year. He's been unreal and makes me wonder wtf do we do next year without him.
Resign him. Avs are gonna have like 20 mil cap space next year

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
JTC in the top 6 is a bad idea. He's been much better this year, but I'm not convinced that will continue. We need to trade for a real top 6 player to fill that spot.

Ya agreed. But still a better idea than nuke in a top 6 role. I'd say we get more offense out of that mid 6 line up.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Is Kaut considered a bust? Isn't it too early?

I wouldnt consider him a bust. Mid to late first rounders I dont really consider to be busts. Top 10 picks who regress from draft day and use hockey sticks 7 inches to long and create no offense, cant win board battles, cant win draws, cant check, dont shoot, make bad passes and are named Tyson jost are bust.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I wouldnt consider him a bust. Mid to late first rounders I dont really consider to be busts. Top 10 picks who regress from draft day and use hockey sticks 7 inches to long and create no offense, cant win board battles, cant win draws, cant check, dont shoot, make bad passes and are named Tyson jost are bust.
Hey! He got a lucky assist last game when he accidently sent Nuke on a breakaway

BoneCherry

Nov 19, 2021
Dallas
Long time lurker, new user here. I've watched the Avs since they became the Avs.

This past game, the Avs played good enough to win, but they don't handle playing to defend a lead very well, at least not the bottom 6.

Thoughts on the team so far this season: Mikko at C works for now. Don't like Jost or Megna a great deal. Compher is overrated when he's not streaky. Kuemper is a nice upgrade over Grubauer. All of that's been said before by others.

I'd trade Jost, Compher, and Girard. Girard will need a speedy and not a gritty team to sign him. I'm not sure who is out there that qualifies as that because I haven't had the opportunity to watch other teams much this year, but I'm interested on who some of you might think we could get for him.

I'm not sure what I think of signing Bednar this early. I don't hate him, but I don't see what the rush was to sign him. I'd rather see how he did in the playoffs before we considered staying with him.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Long time lurker, new user here. I've watched the Avs since they became the Avs.

This past game, the Avs played good enough to win, but they don't handle playing to defend a lead very well, at least not the bottom 6.

Thoughts on the team so far this season: Mikko at C works for now. Don't like Jost or Megna a great deal. Compher is overrated when he's not streaky. Kuemper is a nice upgrade over Grubauer. All of that's been said before by others.

I'd trade Jost, Compher, and Girard. Girard will need a speedy and not a gritty team to sign him. I'm not sure who is out there that qualifies as that because I haven't had the opportunity to watch other teams much this year, but I'm interested on who some of you might think we could get for him.

I'm not sure what I think of signing Bednar this early. I don't hate him, but I don't see what the rush was to sign him. I'd rather see how he did in the playoffs before we considered staying with him.

Welcome.

I wouldn’t be concerned about Bednar’s extension. Coaching contracts are pretty inconsequential either way. I still remember Ken Hitchcock getting fired in Philly literally months after signing an extension.

I don’t blame the Avs for taking care of this either. Just get it done so it’s not an distraction. If indeed the Avs crash and burn they can still fire him and I’m positive another team will pick him up fast. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen though.

Reactions: BoneCherry

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Nichushkin provides roughly the same amount of points as Compher while doing literally everything better.

Oh nuke is for sure better. But I think nuke can also make his line mates better and he'd be sick next to newhook, who has more offensive potential than almost every forward on the team except the obvious ones. We need to insulate newhook with that type of player, just like landeskog for Mack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad