Votes: 7 25.0%
  • The Oilers losing to the Sharks

Votes: 21 75.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Way back when, the first NHL video game I picked up was NHL 2k6, and I got it to have both Lemieux and Crosby on the same team.
Since it was my first time playing a hockey video game since the NES Ice Hockey back in the '80s, I started playing it at "Rookie" difficulty. I quickly discovered that on that setting, wraparounds were pretty much guaranteed goals.

On a related note: Phoenix Copley, everyone!

We won because Hellberg greatly outplayed Copley.
Giving up 2 wrap arounds and that Eller goal (as nice a play by Eller as it was...). Sheesh.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
One of my favorite Pens goalies of all time. I still have the Upper Deck Mini helmet replica in my collection

View attachment 766173

Thats awesome. I still have this jersey that I wear to Pens games when they play against canucks here. It works out well, as he played for Canucks too. People are always confused when they see his name on the back lol

1699636266084.jpeg

1699636212709.jpeg

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hellberg has a .922 sv% this season behind the same team that Jarry has a .907. I don't care if they were all shots from center ice taken by a person with no arms, i'm just happy to see an adult goaltender with a sv% that resembles an actual starting NHLer. Let's keep him in net until he actually sucks
Yeah, and he's played parts of 2 games, 1 where he gave up 2 in 34 minutes, 1 he gave up nothing in 21 minutes and started one where he gave up 3 goals.

He's a 32 year old journeyman backup at best. I feel this has Louis Domingue written all over it, who had a 2.02 and a .952 and everyone bit on that one too.:laugh:

He's a career 26 game 3.08 and .890

He looked shaky... I wouldn't be declaring anything.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, and he's played parts of 2 games, 1 where he gave up 2 in 34 minutes, 1 he gave up nothing in 21 minutes and started one where he gave up 3 goals.

He's a 32 year old journeyman backup at best. I feel this has Louis Domingue written all over it, who had a 2.02 and a .952 and everyone bit on that one too.:laugh:

I'd rather pay shaky 785K than 5+ million w/ term and trade clauses out the wazoo.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Cheap ass iron on/painted on garbage people paid top dollar for.

Baldwin thanks you so much for the donations to his wallet.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to disagree....
Sadly I never got one of them. You still need to hit me up with a clearance Crosby Robopen. ;)

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
My take...
+ Hellberg/Hellybuyck/Domingue bringing what's needed of him. Sure the 2nd goal against was a bit weak, but you can't expect a perfect game from a 3rd string goalie.
+ Having EK & Letang for the OT is sheer poetry. Whoever thought EK isn't what we needed, should be rethinking that stance. Guy is amazing!
+ 3rd PP: Even though we didn't score, we had tons of quick movement and puck movement. I hope they watch that and continue doing that.
+ Not making the LA goalie look like a superstar.
+ Puck luck: Sticks deflecting pucks, pucks hitting posts, all good!
- Sully leeway increased from 20 games to 30 games.

Sometimes it's less about playing the best game you can and it's about getting some luck going your way.

It's about time!

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
i should note that my biggest critics hated my McCann over Carter take, Carter

I'll give you one glaring example of the many that I could provide that shows in retrospect that I was ahead of the curve of this board, the media and the organization. You see, it's not about what you know or can prove, it's what's acceptable to the herd at the time. I'll never be part of the herd, never have, never will.

From Jeff's resigning thread circa 2 years ago

You are locking up Cap $'s and a roster spot for 2 additional years when you had all of the leverage. Winning streaks in the middle of the season mean nothing, other than a winning streak mid season. It's all so short sighted in my opinion. I guess a lot of this goes back to the playoff series against the Isles and how close management thinks they were to winning that one and beyond.

I don't see it. Playoffs in the NHL are a meat grinder, and that's after a long regular season. Is this team built for playoffs?

You are locking out cheaper younger players from a roster spot for a player at the very end of his career. He has an NMC which now gives him leverage and will cost you assets if you decide in 14 months you have to move him, and if he's agreeable to said move.

Do we know if Z put in the same spot for 25 would be equal to or even greater.......at a lower cost with fresh young legs??

Do we know what player might be playing his way off of his current team and might be exactly what this team needs for this year or next?

Do we know who will be available in FA, younger, tougher and possibly a steal for equal $'s?

I was hoping that this upcoming offseason would finally be the one where they infused youth and dynamic with the roster. This signing signals that they want nothing of the sort.

It looks like I'm crazy after the streak they have been on the past 45 days............ We'll revisit after the playoffs
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWN, You are a 1 note Charlie & If you throw enough shit at the wall, some will stick

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

I didn’t declare. That’s the thing. I just factually stated his save percentage and Jarry’s. I didn’t say he should start the rest of the season. I didn’t say he was the answer.

Simply said play him until he sucks. That shouldn’t be controversial or even threatening to jarry. Jarry has absolutely done nothing (aside from signing a new contract) to guarantee him the starters job.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
...Ivan Hlinka hastily huffing down Dorals outside among the fans in between periods.
Who didn't even speak English to boot. Was ol Herby Brooks after Hlinka? I can't quite remember.
Indeed, what a team!

Teenage me watching that moment...will never forget that. I remember screaming "OMG! It was Kasparaitis!"
The Kings only spend something like 4.5M total on goaltending and they're 8-2.

That said... Copley is hilariously bad. Sub .800 sv% and a like 4.50 GAA.
He has a good team in front of him. I would suggest we still had to beat a good forward and defensive group last night. Hellberg was just better than Copley.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Teenage me watching that moment...will never forget that. I remember screaming "OMG! It was Kasparaitis!"

If my terrible memory is correct, before that OT game the announcers either mentioned/showed a clip of Kasper taking additional point shots the practice before the game.

Yup kids, muscle memory and repetition are super important!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If my terrible memory is correct, before that OT game the announcers either mentioned/showed a clip of Kasper taking additional point shots the practice before the game.

Yup kids, muscle memory and repetition are super important!

Of all the players on that team to bet on beating in-the-zone Hasek that game... I think Kaspar would have been pretty far down the list.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Ugh.... Yes!

Seriously though. If you find an Adidas one on clearance, let me know. I will for sure pay you for the inconvenience. Doesnt even have to be a Sid one. :(

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
  • Love

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Herby was right before.
Herb Brooks appeared to be something of a dinosaur coach when he was brought in but gave us a good season. That was the only time we really crushed the Caps in the playoffs.

Re: 2001 team, I think this squad has a bit of that feel with the top heavy roster, the up for grabs goalie situation, and the surprise addition of a HoFer to galvanize the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad