Game result relevant points

Viktri

Apr 25, 2007
Vancouver
In the same vein as GWG and clutchness, I'm curious to know whether anyone has statistics on game result relevant points.

Game result relevant points would be the points used to determine the winner of the game, similar but more broad than GWG. I could see 2-3 versions.

1) Includes all points for players up to and including the GWG.

Thus: all points earned by players in a 3-2 would be considered game result relevant, but points earned on the last goal of a 4-2 game would not be considered game result relevant.

2) Includes all points for players up to GWG+1 goal.

Thus: all points earned by players in a 4-2 game would be considered game result relevant, but the last goal of a 5-2 game would not be considered game result relevant.

3) Includes all points for players up to GWG+2 goal.

Thus: all points earned by players in a 5-2 game would be considered game result relevant, but the last goal of a 6-2 game would not be considered game result relevant.

The reason for this spread is that I would like a proxy to gauge the intensity of a game. Sometimes a GWG+1 goal (the goal after a GWG) is scored with similar intensity of a GWG - getting that goal buffer is important, after all.

I'd like to use this to see whether there is any significant difference between top players, and possibly see if this is one factor that plays into player salaries/contracts.

I do assume that a player with more game result relevant points would be more valuable than a player with a similar number of total points but fewer game result relevant points.

If this has been done before, I'd like to see the results. I don't know whether there is a database that tracks these figures, and I'd be grateful should anyone be able to point in that direction.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Bill James did something exceptionally similar for baseball - he called it Victory Important RBI, and it's in the 1984 Baseball Abstract.

I haven't seen it done for hockey, and would love to see the results.

Viktri

Apr 25, 2007
Vancouver
Victory Important sounds better :laugh:

Are there any databases that I could access to download the information? I'd love to crunch the numbers myself.

I'm also interested in comparing TOI weighted player ages against team ages to verify the validity of the commonly used player age argument, but it doesn't seem like I can download it off of NHL.com.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad