TV: Game of Thrones | Series Finale - III

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
First half was pretty good. The rest and ultimately the entire last season mostly sucked, for a lot of reasons. It’ll only get worse with time

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
First half was pretty good. The rest and ultimately the entire last season mostly sucked, for a lot of reasons. It’ll only get worse with time

I think it is going to have a Star Wars like following eventually honestly. In 20 years Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke will be signing autographs at nerd conventions.

Reactions: Beau Knows

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I think it is going to have a Star Wars like following eventually honestly. In 20 years Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke will be signing autographs at nerd conventions.

Maybe a TFA/TLJ following. Where half the people loved it and the others hated it

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I finally watched the documentary. Man Kit really loved being on the show. I can understand why it ending hit him so hard. He, and the Stark bannerman guy getting all choked up kind of got to me. As much as I didn't like the execution of this season, I have nothing but respect for all the people who worked on it. It's kind of crazy they finished it even with the extra time they took between the last two seasons.

Reactions: kingsfan28

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
People will eventually come to see that bad writing and horrible character development has plagued the show since season 5.

Season 6 actually wasn’t bad, as it was mostly carried by GRRM plot points (Hold the Door, R+L=J, etc.).

But yeah, seasons 5, 7, and 8 were just dreadful.

Reactions: RobBrown4PM

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Season 6 actually wasn’t bad, as it was mostly carried by GRRM plot points (Hold the Door, R+L=J, etc.).

But yeah, seasons 5, 7, and 8 were just dreadful.
Season 6 was no more carried by "GRRM plot points" than 5, 7, and 8 were. Do you think GRRM only provided plot points for season 6 or something?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Season 6 was no more carried by "GRRM plot points" than 5, 7, and 8 were. Do you think GRRM only provided plot points for season 6 or something?

No? Use your brain:

5 deviated significantly from the source material (Jaime and Bronn in Dorne), and 7 and 8 were comprised almost entirely of D&D fan fiction. Martin provided the following plot points for the final season:

- Jon’s true parentage
- Hold the Door
- Dany going “Mad Queen”
- King Bran

That’s it.

Arya killing the Night King is pure show schlock considering the Night King isn’t even a character in the books, and D&D admitted they made up that entire plot point. Kidnap a Zombie was convoluted fan service nonsense invented entirely by the show. Etc etc. Most of the seasons 5-8 were fan fiction. But Hold the Door and Jon’s parentage were particularly strong twists rooted in book material and revealed in season 6.

I don’t understand what you’re objecting to here. Martin distanced himself from the show quite a bit in the final seasons, and was tweeting out recommendations to watch The Last Kingdom ffs.

Reactions: Plub and Beau Knows

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
No? Use your brain:

5 deviated significantly from the source material (Jaime and Bronn in Dorne), and 7 and 8 were comprised almost entirely of D&D fan fiction. Martin provided the following plot points for the final season:

- Jon’s true parentage
- Hold the Door
- Dany going “Mad Queen”
- King Bran

That’s it.

Arya killing the Night King is pure show schlock considering the Night King isn’t even a character in the books, and D&D admitted they made up that entire plot point. Kidnap a Zombie was convoluted fan service nonsense invented entirely by the show. Etc etc. Most of the seasons 5-8 were fan fiction. But Hold the Door and Jon’s parentage were particularly strong twists rooted in book material and revealed in season 6.

I don’t understand what you’re objecting to here. Martin distanced himself from the show quite a bit in the final seasons, and was tweeting out recommendations to watch The Last Kingdom ffs.

The Last Kingdom is an excellent show. I would easily take it over post season 4 GOT.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I've never read the books, but I can understand in some aspects why they deviated so much from the books. From what I understand after ASoS the story just becomes a mess in terms of tons of new characters popping up, main character stories being spread all over the place, and various other things to the point that I'm sure part of why GRRM is having so much trouble ending the thing is because he made the story so wide that he has to somehow bring it back together. So from that standpoint, I can understand why seasons 5 & 6 were a bit of a struggle to trim down that story and keep it interesting while a lot of the main characters were no longer interacting with each other. Granted, the way they handled some of the story lines were just awful, with Dorne and Arya's training being two that are high on that list... but I get the two weak seasons especially after how good and strong the first four were.

When we got to season 7 and the stories were all converging again, it should have been a lot easier to write a great story and bring it all back together. Of course, they should have also done in 4 seasons rather than 2 shortened seasons so that 5-6 were just a mid point. Instead, Season 7 was a mess of a story with tons of illogical decisions and even worse making the NK require Dany to fly north with a dragon in order to get through the wall. All this time, he was waiting for Jon to bring her? Of course, that would have been cool to explain, but nah. Even still, after Season 7 we were kind of like, well that was not too good, but it's setting up for a pretty awesome Season 8 at least. Then Season 8 came and just ruined the entire show. Honestly, I'd rewatch seasons 1-4 with ease, 5 & 6 with slight hesitation, but I don't know if I'd even want to bother with 7-8 knowing how it all ends.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
The Last Kingdom is an excellent show. I would easily take it over post season 4 GOT.

late to the party I know, but TLK needs much stronger characters to be an excellent show. The dude who plays Uhtred isn't awful but he was clearly cast on his looks and not his ability to bring a lot of gravity into every scene. Ragnar and Brida exist to scowl at Uhtred and eventually follow his plans. Father Beocca and Aethelwold spend too much time flailing about and are rarely relevant to the plot line. Alfred is usually the only good actor in every scene and is still given way too many bad lines to yell.

(but yes, I would also take it over post season 4 GOT)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
George R.R. Martin Says the ‘Internet Is Toxic’ in Aftermath of ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 8 Outrage

During a recent appearance on Leonard Maltin’s movie podcast, recorded weeks after “Thrones” wrapped its run, Martin said he’s never seen anything like the “madness” that runs across the internet.

“The Internet is toxic in a way that old fanzine culture and fandoms — comics fans, science fiction fans — in those days, was not,” Martin said. “There were disagreements. There were feuds, but nothing like the madness that you see on the internet.”

“How will it all end? I hear people asking,” Martin wrote. “The same ending as the show? Different? Well… yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. I am working in a very different medium than David and Dan [the TV show creators Benioff and Weiss], never forget. They had six hours for this final season. I expect these last two books of mine will fill 3000 manuscript pages between them before I’m done… and if more pages and chapters and scenes are needed, I’ll add them.”

Reactions: tacogeoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad