GDT: Game LXV: Flyers @ Avs **Know Your Fin(n)s Edition!** 9pm (ET) / 7pm (MT)

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Another low stakes tune up game. How that bottom six shakes out before the playoffs is the story line for me to end the season. We are one injury in the top six before Lehkonen is elevated like he is now. He can't be the one solely relied on to jumpstart the bottom six.

I dont know if its a chemistry issue as much as it's still a personale one. Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau (arguably the best 3rd line we've had in years) were so effective using their mix of speed, physicality and willingness to play off each other in the cycle. Sturm looks promising as someone who doesn't mind getting down in the dirty areas to work off the cycle. Time will tell but still a ton of question marks. I expect full Bednar blending and hopefully he finds something that clicks.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Don't like the bottom six. Nico Sturm has done nothing but warrant more minutes since his arrival.

Newhook - Sturm - Compher
Cogliano - Helm - O'Connor

I also wouldn't mind Lehkonen getting a shot with 29 and 96. Give Nichushkin back to Kadri and Burakovsky.
It doesn't really matter, Bednar's going to refuse to play the bottom-6 anyways.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
How about we try the play hard for the first 40 mins and then potentially be able to roll lines in the 3rd strategy tonight. Absolutely no reason that the big guys should get burned out tonight. Philly is not a good team, don't give them hope by keeping it close.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It doesn't really matter, Bednar's going to refuse to play the bottom-6 anyways.
Does he really have a choice to play the bottom 6? They offer nothing, pretty much every game, it's like a broken record that never stops. Be nice to see them contribute something at some point or another.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Does he really have a choice to play the bottom 6? They offer nothing, pretty much every game, it's like a broken record that never stops. Be nice to see them contribute something at some point or another.
The 4th line last game was dominating possession and had a couple of great scoring opportunities that they just barely missed on.

They also ended up hardly reaching 9 minutes of ice time (Helm hardly 7).

Bednar needs to recognize when a line is "on" during a game and keep playing them. Not sit them on the bench for extended stretches, then when you call upon them and they're cold expect production. That's what bad coaches do.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Again Bednar IS playing the bottom two lines more since the trades. It is only when the team fell behind that he reduced their ice time considerably because they needed goals. It will only get better once Landy comes back. Same thing will happen at D once Girard comes abck and Manson gets comfortable with the system.

People here are kidding themselves when they believe finishing 1st is not important. Regardless of stats a FO/coaches will always want to have home ice in the playoffs. Bednar is no different and players for that matter. The Avs have only lost 4 games this season. Again regardless of playoffs stats available the Avs are playing better at home than on the road so they will always want to get that slight advantage for the playoffs.

Reactions: Snow Arc
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
It's a vicious cycle. He doesn't trust them to produce, so they get limited minutes. They aren't going to have many opportunities to get into the game with limited minutes, which leads to them not being productive. Rinse and repeat. He has created a self-fulfilling prophecy.

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island

Fire away

giphy.gif

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island
On the real though, I hope that this is an issue with immigration and not with our team's ability to file paperwork because if I'm Lehkonen and I'm already seeing this level of incompetency from the front office, I'm not sure I want to stick around long.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
On the real though, I hope that this is an issue with immigration and not with our team's ability to file paperwork because if I'm Lehkonen and I'm already seeing this level of incompetency from the front office, I'm not sure I want to stick around long.
Well going through this and him seeing the practice facility im sure hes eager to go back to Montreal.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
Again Bednar IS playing the bottom two lines more since the trades. It is only when the team fell behind that he reduced their ice time considerably because they needed goals. It will only get better once Landy comes back. Same thing will happen at D once Girard comes abck and Manson gets comfortable with the system.

People here are kidding themselves when they believe finishing 1st is not important. Regardless of stats a FO/coaches will always want to have home ice in the playoffs. Bednar is no different and players for that matter. The Avs have only lost 4 games this season. Again regardless of playoffs stats available the Avs are playing better at home than on the road so they will always want to get that slight advantage for the playoffs.
That’s exactly the problem with our roster. Is our bottom 6 not producing. Come playoff time we need at the very least the 3rd line to produce well in low scoring games. Can’t rely on the top heaviness that we have been doing because that’s what makes for another 2nd round exit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad