GDT: Game LXV: Flyers @ Avs **Know Your Fin(n)s Edition!** 9pm (ET) / 7pm (MT)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh and kudos to Bednar for recognizing quickly that NAK had a little more jump in this game, for obvious reasons, and promoting him as a result. That seemed to help LOC as well since it bumped him down a line.
It should stay that way, too.

NAK has way more offensive skill than LOC. While Landeskog is out, it doesn't hurt to try NAK with Kadri. IIRC they had some success playing together earlier in the season.

Reactions: PAZ

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
MacDermid’s progression gives me hope for where Manson can be come playoff time.

MacDermid has basically gone from being the worst defenceman in the league to start the season to a capable #7D. Maybe it just takes a while for defenceman to learn the Avs system. Manson was better last night, so hopefully it’s an upward trajectory from here.

Excited to see Lekhonen get into the lineup. I think he gives the Avs a lot of different options when healthy. I’d like to see them move Newhook back to 3C and see if the two can find some chemistry. Maybe that can shake Newhook out of his slump.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Sturm has won 67.5% of his faceoffs with the Avs so far. A lot of d-zone starts as well.

18163.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Still laughing at that ridiculous holding penalty on Naz at the end of the game.

It's like the refs really really wanted to give him an extra penalty with the instigator, but Farrabee was the one who dropped his gloves first, so they had to call him for "holding" because he grabbed him to say lets fight.

Hope his right hand is ok. He caught the helmet with a hard punch at the end. Then threw a hammer fist on top of Farabee's head afterward. :laugh:

Lemonlimey

Apr 1, 2014
Crestone
Also, let's take some time to remember legendary Finnish Av, Antti Laaksonen.
He was a...guy who...played on the team. Decent legs, as I recall. Zero hands.
Maybe we should discuss a more talented Finn. Ossi Vaananen! Now there was a...
You know what? Jari Kurri was in Colorado for a season. There we go.

I was so hyped for the Ossi Vaananen trade. Completely spitballing here but I was like 15 and put him on the top pairing with Foote in NHL 2006 or whichever it was. Won the cup in Season mode.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
For that insane stretch where the Avs went from last place to nearly making the playoffs, Vaananen was an absolute beast. He was one of those players who strangely let whoever was on the ice with him basically dictate his play. When he played the way he wanted to play, he was great.

Laaksonen was awesome so long as Laperriere and Konowalchuk were on the ice with him. When Kono had to retire it was like Antti’s NHL ability went with him.

Anyway, kinda weird to say this but you could make an argument that Teemu Selanne was the worst Finnish player to ever play for the Avs.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
For that insane stretch where the Avs went from last place to nearly making the playoffs, Vaananen was an absolute beast. He was one of those players who strangely let whoever was on the ice with him basically dictate his play. When he played the way he wanted to play, he was great.

Laaksonen was awesome so long as Laperriere and Konowalchuk were on the ice with him. When Kono had to retire it was like Antti’s NHL ability went with him.

Anyway, kinda weird to say this but you could make an argument that Teemu Selanne was the worst Finnish player to ever play for the Avs.
Oh yah but Granato didnt help much there. Lockout and that knee surgery rejuvenated Selanne career.
I was also a big Vaananen fan. Hes actually a big reason as to why I was a fan of Zadorov when he arrived because thats who he kinda reminded me of.

Best Finn to play for the Avs is easily Riku Hahl and I wont hear anything else.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh yah but Granato didnt help much there. Lockout and that knee surgery rejuvenated Selanne career.
I was also a big Vaananen fan. Hes actually a big reason as to why I was a fan of Zadorov when he arrived because thats who he kinda reminded me of.

Best Finn to play for the Avs is easily Riku Hahl and I wont hear anything else.

Ahhhhhh yes. Riku Hahl.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad