GDT: |Game: LVII | Pens vs Jerks | March 4th 1900hrs EST | Pens march to attack the Jerks

In the event of a Hurricane:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
penguin-of-madagascar.gif

vs

200.gif

GAME PREVIEW

The Penguins conclude their three-game road trip as they head to Raleigh to take on the Carolina Hurricanes at PNC Arena. Pittsburgh is playing in Carolina for the first time since March 19, 2019 - almost three calendar years. Pittsburgh lost that game in a shootout, 3-2. Jake Guentzel and Kris Letang scored for the Penguins while Brock McGinn netted a goal in regulation for the Hurricanes. The Penguins are 11-5-1 in their last 17 games against the Hurricanes overall dating back to Jan. 17, 2016. Here at PNC Arena, Pittsburgh has points in three-straight games (2-0-1) and have just two regulation losses in their last 13 visits (9-2-2) dating back to Apr. 9, 2013. Pittsburgh is 8-1-0 in their last nine road games.

QUICK HITS

Tonight, the Penguins conclude their eighth set of back-to-back games. This year, the Penguins are 10-3-2 in back-to-backs (6-1-1 on the first night; 4-2-1 the second night).

The Penguins are 10-4-1 against Metropolitan Division opponents this season.

Evgeni Malkin registered the 103rd three-point game of his career last night. Since entering the league in 2006-07, only Sidney Crosby (144) and Alex Ovechkin (114) have more such instances.

Per NHL PR, the Penguins required the fewest games in franchise history to reach 40 points on the road (19-6-3, 41 PTS in 28 GP), eclipsing its previous best of 31 GP set in 2014-15.

The Penguins have allowed a league-low 34 first-period goals this season.

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

The Penguins enter tonight's game as the league's best team on the road this season, boasting a 19-6-3 record for 41 points. Pittsburgh's .722 points percentage on the road is first in the NHL, while its 19 wins and 41 points on the road are tied for first in the league. Jake Guentzel leads Pittsburgh and is tied for seventh in the NHL with 34 points (18G-16A) in 25 road games. He has been held pointless on the road just twice in 25 games, and his 18 road goals are fifth in the league. Fifteen of his 18 road goals have come at even strength, which is tied for first in the NHL.

fb246e93-eb57-46c9-afcd-8f4807134f14_text.gif

pens8.jpg

pens7.jpg

pens1.jpg

pens2.jpg

pens4.jpg

a4792053fdf769ec9000bb495881051c.gif

pens3.jpg

pens5.jpg

pens6.jpg

giphy.gif

Terrible song selection for the game:

Per usual, stats provided by NHL, ESPN and TSN. Also per usual they are probably not accurate.

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not seeing anything about starting rosters tonight, most likely see DeSmith in net though.

Thread is now open:

and-here-we-go-joker.gif

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Tampa and Carolina back to back...woof. But if they play like they played last night, they will throw Carolina's game right back in their face. Then it becomes a Jarry vs Andersen showdown not unlike last time.

They can do it. Question is, will we see the 3/3/2022 Pens or the 2/2/22 Pens? One will win, one will lose (*and one will siiiiiiiiing the bluuuuuues!)

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Bottle last nights performance and we'll skate away with the two points. Hope we start on time

Let's go Pens!!

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Thread closed before I could respond but couldn't agree more with @SEALBound on what winger is needed for Malkin. Malkin is not what he used to be at 35 (though last night is enough to make anyone question that) but he is still an all-time great, top 25 player ever and has a ton of physical ability and smarts. Sullivan said it best, when Malkin is on the puck follows him. So that makes who his wingers should be very simple most of the time. If you can't read and react quickly and you are selfish with the puck you won't last long there. Because the thing is, Malkin gives the puck to his wingers more than any other center on the team, so there's no need to be selfish. You're going to get it back and in great position to score. TL, DR the worst thing we could do is get some flashy star. Get a guy with some skills who complements...Heinen is doing this but Kapanen isn't yet and not sure he is going to figure it out. Right now that line is going because of Malkin and Heinen. Maybe if Kapanen can keep plugging and start getting goals he'll take off but I'm just not seeing it. He's not quite good enough to play the type of game he's trying to play.

I still think GCR has holes defensively that will bite us if they don't commit to playing how they need to. I would love to see Rust down there on L2 and then we get a winger for Crosby. I doubt that will happen though.

Reactions: vodeni

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Interesting to see and hear if coach sullivan plays with desmith after the great game by jarry last nezight. Jarry is so cool.... ready for the playoffs for certainly. With him in net tonight, y'all might win again. And again.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Better watch out for ol Jordy tonight. Really heating up with 7 points in his last 10 to bring him up to...

*checks notes*

19 points on the season.

Reactions: Gurglesons

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thread closed before I could respond but couldn't agree more with @SEALBound on what winger is needed for Malkin. Malkin is not what he used to be at 35 (though last night is enough to make anyone question that) but he is still an all-time great, top 25 player ever and has a ton of physical ability and smarts. Sullivan said it best, when Malkin is on the puck follows him. So that makes who his wingers should be very simple most of the time. If you can't read and react quickly and you are selfish with the puck you won't last long there. Because the thing is, Malkin gives the puck to his wingers more than any other center on the team, so there's no need to be selfish. You're going to get it back and in great position to score. TL, DR the worst thing we could do is get some flashy star. Get a guy with some skills who complements...Heinen is doing this but Kapanen isn't yet and not sure he is going to figure it out. Right now that line is going because of Malkin and Heinen. Maybe if Kapanen can keep plugging and start getting goals he'll take off but I'm just not seeing it. He's not quite good enough to play the type of game he's trying to play.

I still think GCR has holes defensively that will bite us if they don't commit to playing how they need to. I would love to see Rust down there on L2 and then we get a winger for Crosby. I doubt that will happen though.
This 100! The only thing maybe missing is that Heinen and Kap can not feel like taking a night off. They must dig deep in the corners and backcheck like crazy. Heinen surprised me with his savy when it comes to marking up their playes and disrupting their play. If kappy can bring the same thing everything will be fine. They will score a tons of goals do not worry, it should be as simple as this...forecheck...retrieve...give it to G, get open, shoot, score...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Great, you wanker @Zirakzigil ...now all I can think about is how stupid the name Hurricanes is for a team. Their logo is a warning flag/eye of the storm for a weather event that may or may not happen. It's a stupid name and they're a bunch of jerks for thinking its cool.

And wtf, their mascot is a pig?

Reactions: Zirakzigil

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
That's putting it mildly.

The "post-Crosby wave" that has the Pens brass and a good portion of the fanbase loathe to give up late 1st calibre futures to maximize this group's chances isn't going to sniff their jockstraps.

The fact that they still play like this at the age they are and the amount of injuries they've gone through tells you exactly what kind of talents they are. Which is to say legendary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad