Post-Game Talk: | Game #III | Pens vs Habs | OTL | Whole lotta yuck

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I'm okay with a $2.5M McGinn being the biggest "problem" we have at the moment.

Hoping the PP can get back on the board Thursday. They looked no bueno yesterday.
Yup, can't expect every player and every contract to be perfect.

However, McGinn doesn't look like he fits out there on his line.
I wonder if we could try Poehling - Blueger - Archibald.
or maybe move Carter down and have Poehlin - Carter - Archibald/McGinn.

I'm really liking Heinen's game. I always wondered we never had guys that shot high in tight. The reason why we make goalies look good, we just shoot it into their pads :\.

As for game 3...
Well...crap happens, we got a point out of it, so a learning experience from my perspective. I'm glad we're playing POJ instead of playing it safe and play Ruh.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yup, can't expect every player and every contract to be perfect.

However, McGinn doesn't look like he fits out there on his line.
I wonder if we could try Poehling - Blueger - Archibald.
or maybe move Carter down and have Poehlin - Carter - Archibald/McGinn.

I'm really liking Heinen's game. I always wondered we never had guys that shot high in tight. The reason why we make goalies look good, we just shoot it into their pads :\.

As for game 3...
Well...crap happens, we got a point out of it, so a learning experience from my perspective. I'm glad we're playing POJ instead of playing it safe and play Ruh.
Thats the first thing I noticed when Heine came over. Brought this up several time. How hard is to do that? Although he had stretches last year missing wide open net too....

Reactions: Sidgeni Malkby

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Thats the first thing I noticed when Heine came over. Brought this up several time. How hard is to do that? Although he had stretches last year missing wide open net too....
I believe you need an extra second (or 1/2s?) to angle the shot vs almost just shoveling it at the net, but I would think pros have already (or supposed to have) planned their shot out before they get the puck.

I'm not expecting him to be Ovechkin/Stamkos, but hopefully other players will get encouraged. Unless this is a coaching choice to favor low over high?

I mean...
Low shots can squeeze in more often than high, and rebounds become more available. High shots miss nets and that creates unpredictable situations leading to counterattack. Probably a whole bunch of statistical data related to this.

Reactions: vodeni

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I believe you need an extra second (or 1/2s?) to angle the shot vs almost just shoveling it at the net, but I would think pros have already (or supposed to have) planned their shot out before they get the puck.

I'm not expecting him to be Ovechkin/Stamkos, but hopefully other players will get encouraged. Unless this is a coaching choice to favor low over high?

I mean...
Low shots can squeeze in more often than high, and rebounds become more available. High shots miss nets and that creates unpredictable situations leading to counterattack. Probably a whole bunch of statistical data related to this.
I am sure they look at the films. but too many times I've seen the puck especially not too far from the net are shot straight into the pads..@andy99 always brings that up. Carter is the best in putting pucks in the net and not elevating them, somohow his pucks don't have any elevation but squeeze through, he is master of that...Geno on the other hand can't seem to elevate the puck, thats why I was so surprised at that second goal against Habs, rebound usually ends up in the pads, but this time he got little shovel elevation and worked beautifully

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Geno's shoulder and knee rehabs seem to have paid major dividends.

Yeah, the idea I was always taught was to put it on net hard and low because a) it might go in and b) if it gets stopped, it's usually kicked out in front or to the side to keep play alive and in the opponent's zone. Shots going high can get gloved or skip out off the boards in ways that are harder for the attacking team to get to and maintain zone pressure.

:dunno:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I don't want to speak too soon but I think way too many people underestimate how badly beat he's been all over and just playing through it for years, now. And just assumed that was how it was gonna be moving forward. Having like 8 months off and then this past full offseason was probably a godsend. Even if I imagine he hated it.

But I mean... lots of season left haha

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Should be interesting to see how Malkin's knee does as I believe it was said that he would likely have to have an additional "clean-up surgery". To my knowledge that hasn't happened so in the back of my mind I'm wondering if we won't see late-season issues.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Dude is 36 and regardless of how determined he looks or whatever he's still gone through like two regular-career's-worth of injuries. I'd be utterly shocked if there WEREN'T late season issues.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I am sure they look at the films. but too many times I've seen the puck especially not too far from the net are shot straight into the pads..@andy99 always brings that up. Carter is the best in putting pucks in the net and not elevating them, somohow his pucks don't have any elevation but squeeze through, he is master of that...Geno on the other hand can't seem to elevate the puck, thats why I was so surprised at that second goal against Habs, rebound usually ends up in the pads, but this time he got little shovel elevation and worked beautifully
Yeah, it’s a skill any hockey player with decent hand eye coordination can develop…just practice chipping the puck quickly over pad level…I don’t know if the coaching staff practices this at playing speeds, but I don’t see a lot of our players attempt this…it’s more effective for scoring goals than trying to jam it under the pads, particularly when you’re facing a butterfly goalie…

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
I have always noticed that about Geno. He likes to aim low to mid even if a goalie is sprawled out and everything on top is open. I just accredited it to his shooting ability :\.

Yeah, the idea I was always taught was to put it on net hard and low because a) it might go in and b) if it gets stopped, it's usually kicked out in front or to the side to keep play alive and in the opponent's zone. Shots going high can get gloved or skip out off the boards in ways that are harder for the attacking team to get to and maintain zone pressure.

:dunno:
I would these guys would be a level above that. There are many situations where shooting high would minimal adverse affect. For example, anywhere center of the net out. You miss, your angle isn't enough to cause the puck to round the boards.

Yeah, it’s a skill any hockey player with decent hand eye coordination can develop…just practice chipping the puck quickly over pad level…I don’t know if the coaching staff practices this at playing speeds, but I don’t see a lot of our players attempt this…it’s more effective for scoring goals than trying to jam it under the pads, particularly when you’re facing a butterfly goalie…
I think we practice the "jam it into the pad, and then keep wacking at it hoping it will go THROUGH the pads" :laugh:.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad