GDT: Game 82: Edmonton Oilers @ Arizona Coyotes | 7:00 p.m. AZST | Scripps

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
This is a big part of why I'm not currently planning on following the team to SLC.

The Yotes have always been shit on. The adversity has made us and the team bond together and made our bond stronger. Whether it was Katie Strang, Seravelli, Gambo, or any of the many, many Canadian hockey pundits, there was always someone telling us we sucked and should be moved already, that our franchise was worthless and dragging down the NHL. That hockey would never succeed here.

There's even a huge portion of fans on these very boards who still say those things today.

This team is 100% going to succeed in some capacity when players like Guenther, Doan, and Cooley take the next step. We can already see it happening in the last games of the season.

The fact of that success being taken away from us, and given to someone else, so that all the fans and all the pundits can say "haha told you so" absolutely f***ing kills me. We don't deserve that kind of shit and we never did. And it took us 5 years to even get to this point, and 20 something of never being able to get over that hump.

The year we had Grabner and Richardson working like money on the PK was special, not only because of that, and because that was the year AM took over with BA coming in, but because we were a team in the playoff hunt, we were playing good exciting hockey and we ended up making the playoffs. The energy on here and everywhere was incredible.

I wish I got to experience something like that with all of you in the future with this team, but instead it's going to be some other fans experiencing it in another city after we went through hell to get here.

I'll still be happy that Cooley and Guenther and Doan and Macelli and everyone get to that point. I'll still be a fan of those players. But I don't think you'll find me supporting the NHL in any further capacity.
This is exactly how I feel too. I'm not sure how I will feel or how much I will follow when Utah Yotes hit the ice, but I do know some of my love for the league/sport has died along the way.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
This is exactly how I feel too. I'm not sure how I will feel or how much I will follow when Utah Yotes hit the ice, but I do know some of my love for the league/sport has died along the way.
As a long-distance fan I think the continuity will mean a lot. Do they swap out many players, or will they ice much of the same guys when season starts? If it's very much the same guys, it's very likely it will be a "drag me back in"-thing.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
Not an excuse, the reality of a learning moment. A person doesn't inherently know how to handle such.

Edit: Now I read in your next post that you couldn't watch games after the latest news broke. :huh:
The latest news, meaning this past week when the duel schedules were announced and all the speculation started (not during the 14 game losing streak, I didn't give much weight in the rumors then). I invested a lot of time in this team and was excited about all of the young players, to see them start to succeed and realize it would be for another organization is tough to stomach.

I did watch the final game to see the fans reaction, but every time Nash mentioned how talented this young group is and how they're only going to get better, it felt like a stab to my gut.
Knowing all that talent will come to fruition elsewhere and be successful is something I don't want to think about. That's why I couldn't watch the last games. It would just spotlight in me what we're losing.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I doubt the Mormons were chanting it. Hell I doubt Mormons even like hockey :naughty:

Sorry, i couldn't resist, I did not chant, but understand the frustration. it just seemed silly, since our boy's will most likely be representing them soon.... barring my hoped for miracle, it's a shame this isn't important enough to pray for one.

I had neighbors in California who were Mormon and the two sons played roller hockey. And lacrosse.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The latest news, meaning this past week when the duel schedules were announced and all the speculation started (not during the 14 game losing streak, I didn't give much weight in the rumors then). I invested a lot of time in this team and was excited about all of the young players, to see them start to succeed and realize it would be for another organization is tough to stomach.

I did watch the final game to see the fans reaction, but every time Nash mentioned how talented this young group is and how they're only going to get better, it felt like a stab to my gut.
Knowing all that talent will come to fruition elsewhere and be successful is something I don't want to think about. That's why I couldn't watch the last games. It would just spotlight in me what we're losing.
Well I'm glad that the players at least showed up.

I had neighbors in California who were Mormon and the two sons played roller hockey. And lacrosse.
Only Mormons I've known were cattlemen and a trucking magnate and they couldn't even spell "puck."

Why so serious TL?

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Why so serious TL?
main-qimg-a1f6fde8181414f54667209e5c120e11

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Oil fans are reminding me why I should really stop following the NHL altogether.
Bunch of trash in their post-game thread. Thought about reminding them that we've won exactly the same number of Stanley Cups the last 27 years, despite them winning 4 draft lotteries to our 0.

But then I remembered they have to live in Edmonton and I got up and walked outside.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I doubt the Mormons were chanting it. Hell I doubt Mormons even like hockey :naughty:

Sorry, i couldn't resist, I did not chant, but understand the frustration. it just seemed silly, since our boy's will most likely be representing them soon.... barring my hoped for miracle, it's a shame this isn't important enough to pray for one.

If Oilers fans did that it's pretty low class, just know they don't represent the real fans. Many of us love to visit the desert and get some tickets that aren't overpriced. Best wishes in the future, from all I hear Phoneix can get another team? not really fair (to you) but we'll give you someone good in the expansion <3

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The fact of that success being taken away from us, and given to someone else
It's a very reasonable way to see this situation. But I don't see it that way. Dissolution would be the only way for them to take my team away from
me.

Fans that cheered the Yotes on at Mullett are having their ability to have that experience taken away. I feel for them. I feel for everyone else too who's struggling with this.

I just know that I still have my team. It's easy and affordable to cheer from afar. The success they're soon going to find is the success that I've been waiting for and I'm going to enjoy it.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
I hear what you’re saying and I get it…but you don’t have to believe the false stories they will tell. You can realize it’s fiction and let them carry on in their fantasy land.
Not so much that I believe them. I never have. It's that right now, they're being proven right, whether or not they actually are. The NHL has said "Yeah, you're right. This isn't working, and we're moving the team."

If the NHL can't even believe in us, why should I continue to support them? Why follow a team that WE built, WE developed, and WE supported, to somewhere that isn't where WE are? Yeah, there will be some Coyotes fans that move along with the team. Some of you guys even came from the Jets. But so many of us won't. I'm not even a fan in the state, but it would be the same if the team was moving to where I am. That's not where this happened. That's not where the history is. SLC can create their own history, but it isn't the same as what I've been a part of for the last 10 years. And that's what I want.

The players are secondary. It's great to see GMBA and AT build a great franchise for sure, but I was a fan even when Chayka was trading for Hall or when we drafted Strome. There will be more players. And they will succeed wherever they go in the NHL. What makes this team, this team, is where they play, who they are, the jersey they wear, and yes, all of the bullshit ownership drama that has gone on.

I wish SLC all the best, but they won't be the same franchise we had here. And I want to see that franchise succeed.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
It's a very reasonable way to see this situation. But I don't see it that way. Dissolution would be the only way for them to take my team away from
me.

Fans that cheered the Yotes on at Mullett are having their ability to have that experience taken away. I feel for them. I feel for everyone else too who's struggling with this.

I just know that I still have my team. It's easy and affordable to cheer from afar. The success they're soon going to find is the success that I've been waiting for and I'm going to enjoy it.
I’m glad you feel this way. I'm also following the team from afar so logically I should react the same. But the way Coyotes fans have been treated over the years makes it difficult for me to join other hockey fans in cheering for the team in a new city.

Reactions: Edenjung

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
I will never forget listening to last nights game on the radio. moments that stand out
Liam getting that 1st goal
Keller scoring at minus 1.0 sec in 1st
The goal by Guenther boots to ice it
Heater nearly breaking down as he said farewell
Reading all the posts while listening to the last post game show
Going to bed with such a numb empty feeling

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I believe the Oilers face Vegas.
You are correct so one and done for the Oil.

1713477612078.png

Looks like LA and VGK could swap.

I would see Dallas, Winnipeg, Nashville and Vegas moving on as it currently stands.

Last edited:

UK Yote

Jun 28, 2018
We finished on a win but its one that truly sucks. The talent we had, after so many years of signing/waivers of players ending their careers, is all gone. Guenther, Cooley, Doan, Maccelli hell the list goes on plus what's to come and who will see this happen...... Yep the folks in SLC.
Absolutely gutted and as that last period ran out I don't mind saying something moist was running down my cheek. I am use to not seeing them past this time in the year but come September and pre season its going to be truly horrible to realise that they really have gone.
I hope the players who had the decency to sign long term contracts with us get what they want whether that be SLC or moving to another team. I will just monitor the summer months and see what, if any, interest I have in the upcoming season.
Lets go Yotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad