Post-Game Talk: Game #81 vs NYI

Status
Not open for further replies.

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

For the folks advocating trading Malkin and Sid..

Look - this management team just traded Despres for Lovejoy.

Do you have any faith that JR would get fair value for Malkin/Sid? Or even $0.50 on the dollar?

I'll give you a hint... JR is usually involved in lopsided trades... and he is usually on the unfavorable side of them. And you're confident he could handle a transaction involving Sid/Geno?

mjl.gif

Rutherford only has 1 yr remaining on his contract I believe he will be relieved of his duties fired in the near future or should be and the New GM makes the trade .

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

Do you have any faith that JR would get fair value for Malkin/Sid? Or even $0.50 on the dollar?

I'll give you a hint... JR is usually involved in lopsided trades... and he is usually on the unfavorable side of them. And you're confident he could handle a transaction involving Sid/Geno?

mjl.gif

I am open to trading anyone. But first, the entire Front Office has to go. And if they don't, then you're right, they can't be trusted. But even if they keep our CORE, it's going to get worse next year.

FRONT OFFICE HAS TO GO

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
I think this was the best thing for our franchise. I sincerely hope we win today. I loved the desperation and realization though by even our most casual and mainstream fans. The Penguins organization had to title their last Facebook post "Believe in this group. Believe in this team."
There is NO way today goes by and we aren't in the playoffs. Even us, in our pathetic state, can't lose to a team that is literally trying to lose. We will get back a 6th defense man come playoff time and have a new perspective.

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

This team isn't winning with Crosby and Malkin their one loss away from the season being over . The goal is to win the Stanley Cup and this team is a long way away from getting back there again.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I think this was the best thing for our franchise. I sincerely hope we win today. I loved the desperation and realization though by even our most casual and mainstream fans. The Penguins organization had to title their last Facebook post "Believe in this group. Believe in this team."
There is NO way today goes by and we aren't in the playoffs. Even us, in our pathetic state, can't lose to a team that is literally trying to lose. We will get back a 6th defense man come playoff time and have a new perspective.

I sure hope this is one of those sarcastic posts that the young whipper snappers are all utilizing these days....:shakehead

Quatro Quatro

May 29, 2014

I don't know. I think someone else touched on it earlier but Buffalo might not be a sure thing. They just clinched last so I'm pretty sure they can actually afford to win one. And the fans are gonna be fired up.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria

mjl.gif
JR might trade Malkin for Weber+ Nick Spaling

FRUSTRATEDPENFAN*

Buffalo clinched last place yesterday so they have no pressure tonight they'd like nothing more than to end Pittsburgh season .

Last edited by a moderator:

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
I don't know. I think someone else touched on it earlier but Buffalo might not be a sure thing. They just clinched last so I'm pretty sure they can actually afford to win one. And the fans are gonna be fired up.

Oh yeah, in no way do I think it is a sure thing. But it is the closest to a sure thing we have. If we can't beat Buffalo, we can't beat anybody. Kane is injured. Girgensons is injured. They are average on purpose. Also, I don't think the Bruins can beat Tampa Bay.

Last edited:

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I could see JR trading Malkin for some run of the mill 2nd liner - he's that insane.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I want to watch the episode of "in the room" with Billy G's backyard rink. Great stuff!

SidDidNothingWrong

Beau's IcedCapp
Jan 2, 2014
I sure hope this is one of those sarcastic posts that the young whipper snappers are all utilizing these days....:shakehead

Now that I read it it does sound a little sarcastic but I was being serious. Our defense blows. Sucks. Stinks. If you are of the Italian persuasion fanno schifo! They have also had to play a man-down the past however-so-many games. Scuderi has been getting ridiculous amounts of minutes. That makes our already disgusting defense even worse. I think if we can get into the playoffs, rest a bit, and have Pouliot come back the games can be more manageable and anything can happen in the playoffs. Maybe we can play the role of the Kings or Rangers last year. A team thinks we are easy to beat, we get them to a 3-0 or 3-1 series lead and then get them to choke or we get lucky and a goalie gets injured. You never know. We have no ticket for the lottery in the draft so we may as well try a ticket for the lottery in the post-season.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I could see JR trading Malkin for some run of the mill 2nd liner - he's that insane.

Just to play Devil's Advocate; What's JR done here that's been so off the wall bonkers that you can imagine a legitimate scenario where he moves Malkin for a run of the mill 2nd liner?

For all intents and purposes, the Despres deal sure sounds like it was forced on JR. Now, I agree that he's the "head GM" (whatever the **** that means), and it's ultimately his call, but we have no idea the level of ****ed up the front office probably is. Regarding the Despres-Lovejoy deal, nothing he's done as the GM of this team's been anywhere near that level of incompetence, let alone dumping Geno for scraps.

The guy still needs to go this summer, though. He and his 37 other colleagues in the front office/coaching staff.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If it takes losing to Buffalo and missing the playoffs to wake up top management then perhaps that is what it needs. Clearly the complete lack of understanding the regime of Shero and Bylsma after the Flyer playoffs was the point of no return. No management team can allow a franchise blessed with the two best players in the world to be so ill prepared. Mario wanted to prove a point that the Pens way was the best way and went on to make the NHL, Refs and other franchises see the arrogance of this franchise. Just not sure they want to grasp how many are turned off by the total lack of understanding the NHL and fan base. The ratings are falling badly and once that starts, and the fans lose the emotional connection, man that is bad news both financially and future demand..

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You cant change what's already been done if this team core remains the same so will the result and that's not a winning cup contending team

Again, think it through and don't be one of those people that puts their head in a toilet bowl then has a light bulb idea.

Crosby and Malkin have full NMCs and their market will be extremely limited. They will never get full value for them. If one if these guys is moved, their chances of sniffing another cup are gone. Do you even trust this org to make that kind of franchise shifting move?

Even the best org in the league would lose handily in a Malkin/Crosby trade.

People just need to think.

What? This is madness you speak. Are you eating cardboard again?

I've been cardboard free for nine months!

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Now that I read it it does sound a little sarcastic but I was being serious. Our defense blows. Sucks. Stinks. If you are of the Italian persuasion fanno schifo! They have also had to play a man-down the past however-so-many games. Scuderi has been getting ridiculous amounts of minutes. That makes our already disgusting defense even worse. I think if we can get into the playoffs, rest a bit, and have Pouliot come back the games can be more manageable and anything can happen in the playoffs. Maybe we can play the role of the Kings or Rangers last year. A team thinks we are easy to beat, we get them to a 3-0 or 3-1 series lead and then get them to choke or we get lucky and a goalie gets injured. You never know. We have no ticket for the lottery in the draft so we may as well try a ticket for the lottery in the post-season.

I am Italian and I never heard fanno shifo (wish my parents taught me Italian).

The quandary that I am in that any type of success will justify the status quo. As hard as it is, total failure is the only way to get change. But as we saw last offseason, sometimes you get change and maybe it makes things worse.

There will be better days, but it could be 20 years from now for all we know.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008

Buffalo also gave Columbus a run for their money last night...

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The only people who want to trade Geno/Sid want to trade them because it's unfair what Pittsburgh is doing to them. Nobody wants to get rid of their talent, cassius.

And **** yeah.. you never win that trade. :laugh: That's guaranteed failure.

penspenspens

Feb 2, 2014
I just have to ask you guys, who know a lot more about hockey than I do, and who spend a lot more time thinking about it. When I look at the games, it really looks like the Pens have no "game plan" when it comes to breakouts and getting the puck from the own zone into the offensive zone. Our D mostly just turns back into the D-zone, making backward passes. The other team can dump the puck, go for a change, and still keep the puck in our zone. Watching Sid's line, he almost _never_ gets the puck when he cycles through the neutral zone. He just skates in circles, with speed, and nobody in the D appears to see him? If they do make a pass, it's usually to a winger who has no speed whatsoever, and hope for him to dump the puck. It's a bit less of a problem with Malkin, since he likes to carry the puck from the defensive zone by himself. Not only can we attack, but there are virtually no breakaways whatsoever anymore.

What is the problem? To me it appears that every single one of our D-men (except Letang and Depres) can't skate with the puck, can't think fast, and have absolution zero vision.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
There was a play in last night's game that pretty much defines this year's Pens...Winnik had the puck on the left wing and made a bizarre turnaround pass across the rink to absolutely no one...the right-winger, I believe it was Hornqvist, could have been Perron (can't recall) had to head back to retrieve it.

Everything is just so off-kilter right now, it's sad.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
There was a play in last night's game that pretty much defines this year's Pens...Winnik had the puck on the left wing and made a bizarre turnaround pass across the rink to absolutely no one...the right-winger, I believe it was Hornqvist, could have been Perron (can't recall) had to head back to retrieve it.

Everything is just so off-kilter right now, it's sad.

coming through the NZ?

And if it's on Sid's tape (he's driving the middle), they likely have a 2-on-1 with speed?

That play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad