GDT: Game 81: Sharks vs Avalanche, The Sharknado Sequel | 8:30 PM MT | April 5, 2018

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Really don't like Nate's body language after the game. Frustration levels are off the chart, and he almost looks resigned to things going poorly.

Bednar better have them practicing the hell out of their 6 on 5. They've been terrible at it all year, and they very well could need it against the Blues. Especially if they need a regulation win.

Only two goals all year 6 on 5 for the Avs. Only the Lightning are worse with one goal.

The defenders need to practice too. They could need that as well if they're trying to hold a regulation lead. They've given up 11, 5 on 6 goals this year. That's the most in the NHL. Only the Rangers are close to as bad with 9.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I fell asleep after the second period. It looked like we had a solid chance to win up till then. I hope the winner of this lose-off between us and Blues at least gets a decent prospect at the draft.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
It's not fair to put the blame on a single player but I found myself wondering what goes on between Comeau's ears a few times. I'm sure, without his 2nd penalty (which was as stupid as the first one) we would have won this game.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Really don't like Nate's body language after the game. Frustration levels are off the chart, and he almost looks resigned to things going poorly.

Bednar better have them practicing the hell out of their 6 on 5. They've been terrible at it all year, and they very well could need it against the Blues. Especially if they need a regulation win.

Only two goals all year 6 on 5 for the Avs. Only the Lightning are worse with one goal.

The defenders need to practice too. They could need that as well if they're trying to hold a regulation lead. They've given up 11, 5 on 6 goals this year. That's the most in the NHL. Only the Rangers are close to as bad with 9.
If he just went back to shooting the puck more often. Everything needs to be complicated now apparently. Avoiding to stand around with a pissed look on the face every time someone takes his puck away would be nice, too.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I thought Sammy G looked phenomenal until I turned the game off after the Sharks made it 3-1. I thought he was our best player.

Very frustrating end result but in the end, comeau simply couldn't help himself. He's kept his tendency to take stupid penalties down almost all season but then in true lake fashion, he takes a bonehead one at the worst possible time. I don't want this fool re-signed.

I get all of the frustration but we need to take a step back a bit. Two games ago we were all like "it doesn't matter if we get in, we are super proud of this team and what they've been able to accomplish this year" and now people are freaking out and making parallels to what happened 2-3 years ago. We don't have our #1 goalie and we don't have our #1 d-man (yes, Erik Johnson is our #1 d-man - I don't think I've ever seen EJ play as bad as Barrie did last night)

When you really think about it these were road games against teams that were all playing for something - and we were in every single game. I thought that a lot of these 'veteran teams' got the benefit of the doubt from the refs in most cases - like when phaneuf hit Rantanen late...there's no way that's not a penalty if we do that to them. But I guess that's just how it goes - I don't agree that it should be like that but it just is.

The way the team is made up, Bednar isn't going to get favourable matchups on the road...there's no getting around that.

I'm still optimistic for Saturday and I'm really grateful that we are still playing for something the very last game of the regular season.

How frikkin' big is that point (or 2) that we got screwed out of BY THE LEAGUE against those very same blues when they didn't get the call right and had to apologize for it the next day?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I feel asleep half way through the game (I live EST), but I pretty much figured the Avs were going to lose this one.

The team is gassed. The magic is gone from the first line. From what I saw of this game, plus the previous few games, the Avalanche are playing “okay” overall, but they simply haven’t been dangerous offensively. The team’s lack of depth is being exposed.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Bernier was bad this game, but at the same it feels like Varlamov would have stolen one of the games during the road trip. Very unfortunate timing with the injury.

Reactions: missionAvs

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
My issues with the last 8 or so games are:

-Girard's refusal to shoot the puck
-The top lines refusal to crash the net
-At one point everyone got nervous and flubs every puck, getting pinned in their zone and ruining chances in the o zone

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I fell asleep after the first period, I liked how they played in the first period. California is a tough road trip for most teams, you are playing 3 big body. somewhat dirty teams who play a playoff brand of hockey. You don't get the match ups, you have a time change and the games are late. I did not expect them to win any of those 3 games in reality. Those 3 games were always brutal looking on the schedule and it is true.

I am happy that at least one member of 9296 got on the board last night, and tomorrow I think Mackinnon gets a goal again. He always seems to rise to do or die situations (see memorial cup against seth jones).

Two of those 3 loses came to teams that if they won the stanley cup most people would say, okay I can see it (Anaheim and LA).

St Louis has not been playing great hockey either, and they have been playing some pretty poor teams as well.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Girard was solid last night. I almost expect him to get hit hard every time he goes back for the puck but he just doesn't. Kid skates himself out of danger. Barrie stickhandles himself into danger lol especially last night. I think that's up there with one of his worse games of all time. Waingro said it right about Mackinnons body language. When he sulks the way he does it just reminds me of his struggles the past few seasons. He had a decent game last night imo because he was directing more shots at the net. He even caught a crossbar before Como's penalty. That goes in its 2-2 but alas como decides to take a careless penalty and it ended up being the eventual game winner.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Really weird how this team can be so good on PK and 10th on the PP but be so so so bad 6vs5 and 5vs 6. The ability to win faceoffs in the last two minutes of a game would help tremendously.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Girard was solid last night. I almost expect him to get hit hard every time he goes back for the puck but he just doesn't. Kid skates himself out of danger. Barrie stickhandles himself into danger lol especially last night. I think that's up there with one of his worse games of all time. Waingro said it right about Mackinnons body language. When he sulks the way he does it just reminds me of his struggles the past few seasons. He had a decent game last night imo because he was directing more shots at the net. He even caught a crossbar before Como's penalty. That goes in its 2-2 but alas como decides to take a careless penalty and it ended up being the eventual game winner.

I don't get why Barrie is safe in some situations when Girard is out playing him.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
MacK has gone from being overly aggressive and trying to bulldoze everyone to throwing himself into boards...that's just such a weird shift.
It's very hard to blame MacKinnon, the guy is getting double team and even triple team constantly. Opposing teams are absolutely making no space for him and he's frustrated. He doesn't want to be in this position, but this is another good learning lesson for him.

LOL Lauren with a moronic question:
"what did you think of the road trip? Um, not good. we lost all 3 games."
I'm actually going to defend Lauren a tad, she's in a position where she has to come across respectfully. As she works for the Avs, she doesn't want a bad relationship with the players. Of course you can ask tougher questions like "what happened on this road trip?", but she's around them constantly and even flies on the Avs plane.

What a whiny board this is. Holy cow it’s like it’s all middle schoolers.
Ehhhh, whining about whining is quite counterproductive. This board has always been like this, you might as well shouldn't log on since it will never change.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
After some thought, I really think the ultimate downfall on this road trip was the pressure. The kids did a pretty good job of it for a while, but every game for the last month now has been the biggest game of the season so far and I feel like the inexperience in games like this is finally catching up to them. They worked their asses off last night, but it felt like panic the whole way through, because despite the frantic effort nobody was making good decisions or working as a team. They want it, but they don't know how to relax under this kind of do-or-die pressure.

If they lose tomorrow, I don't think anybody will be able to say they didn't show up to play. But having this many players on the team who have never played a bigger game in their lives might end up being the deciding factor.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I've been a fan since I was 6
Been spoiled for most of my life as a child. Been bit in the ass 30+ times by this year. A big show on Saturday would be amazing.

If you go off of our performance tonight, we are not going to have a very successful outcome.

Rant looked like bambi in ice. Mack was great. Trying to hard. I didnt notice landeskog
Luckily Blues aren't playing good hockey either. I believe they lost 4 or 5 in a row or something. Saturday will be the battle of the suckage. Who ever sucks the least will advance to the playoffs.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Luckily Blues aren't playing good hockey either. I believe they lost 4 or 5 in a row or something. Saturday will be the battle of the suckage. Who ever sucks the least will advance to the playoffs.

An oddly familiar feeling. Was it 14/15 or 15/16 when the avs had a suck-fest with the wild for the last playoff spot down the stretch?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad