GDT: Game 80 | CBJ @ PHI | 7 PM EST

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Most critical tank bowl since the Anaheim and San Jose games,

We’re now three games away from the ending, two after tonight. We control our own destiny. We must fulfill it.

(Ignore that Luke didn’t fulfill the destiny that Palpatine wanted)

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
(Ignore that Luke didn’t fulfill the destiny that Palpatine wanted)
I think that is the most fitting part of it...

At least our callups won't affect the Monsters immediately because their next game is on Friday (but it sucks if we keep Jiricek up instead of playing him against Utica in a super important game for them).

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Most critical tank bowl since the Anaheim and San Jose games,

We’re now three games away from the ending, two after tonight. We control our own destiny. We must fulfill it.

Really, every game/loss going back to Oct/Nov was just as “important” or “valuable”, with added importance in games against the other “bottom feeders”.

Regarding the “controlling of the destiny”, I understand that a team can only drop so many spots from where they finish, and if people are looking at any of the top 3 picks as “destiny”, then ok, but, if people are looking at the #1 pick/Bedard as the only acceptable “destiny”, some really need to come to terms with the fact that finishing last in the league isn’t actually “controlling” anything.

Much of the “tanking” talk is annoying to me on a multitude of levels, I’m not sure I’m gonna be able to handle the things that will be said by all the chicken littles when the team doesn’t end up picking 1st after finishing last. I somewhat sense there’s a build up by a group here that are just waiting to bitch and moan when the team doesn’t get the top pick, when the odds are against them getting it.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Oh you and your optimism at finishing last. :D

I'll speak only for myself but how it's going to go is that I'll be disappointed if we don't finish last, as that top-3 pick would be much nicer than picks 4-6 (not just because of the players but also because there's a pretty good consensus on picks 1-3; the bickering here will get insane for picks 4-6). If we would end up last and then end up picking second or third, I'll reserve the right to be sad and disappointed for three days after the lottery with the appropriate venting here on the forums in the related threads. After that it's time to move on and be happy we got either Fantilli or Carlsson (lest they go all PLD again, shudder at the thought). So bring on the last place, I'll take that very happily thank you very much.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Really, every game/loss going back to Oct/Nov was just as “important” or “valuable”, with added importance in games against the other “bottom feeders”.

Regarding the “controlling of the destiny”, I understand that a team can only drop so many spots from where they finish, and if people are looking at any of the top 3 picks as “destiny”, then ok, but, if people are looking at the #1 pick/Bedard as the only acceptable “destiny”, some really need to come to terms with the fact that finishing last in the league isn’t actually “controlling” anything.

Much of the “tanking” talk is annoying to me on a multitude of levels, I’m not sure I’m gonna be able to handle the things that will be said by all the chicken littles when the team doesn’t end up picking 1st after finishing last. I somewhat sense there’s a build up by a group here that are just waiting to bitch and moan when the team doesn’t get the top pick, when the odds are against them getting it.
I’ve typed up a post with some of these ideas in its couple times in the past week. But I’ve killed them because I believe most posters eager to earn that 32nd place finish are doing so out of a desire to drop no lower than 3 in the draft.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

The whole purpose of finishing last is to guarantee a top center. This has nothing to do with JUST Bedard. I think most here recognize we’re not getting him regardless of finish. But getting one of Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson is vital. Which is the whole purpose of the tank conversation and why people are so upset when we win. It’s not just about Bedard. Not for me, anyway.

If we get Bedard, then joyous. Celebration.

If we get Fantilli there will be a sense of disappointment. But still hype afterwards

If we get Carlsson, there will be even more disappointment but still a good degree of hype.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
The whole purpose of finishing last is to guarantee a top center. This has nothing to do with JUST Bedard. I think most here recognize we’re not getting him regardless of finish. But getting one of Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson is vital. Which is the whole purpose of the tank conversation and why people are so upset when we when. It’s not just about Bedard. Not for me, anyway.

If we get Bedard, then joyous. Celebration.

If we get Fantilli there will be a sense of disappointment. But still hype afterwards

If we get Carlsson, there will be even more disappointment but still a good degree of hype.
And if the team doesn’t finish last and picks 4th?? Then what??

The potential issue I sense is how the group that has been so invested in “the tank” for essentially 6 months now will handle this team picking 4th or later.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
And if the team doesn’t finish last and picks 4th?? Then what??

The potential issue I sense is how the group that has been so invested in “the tank” for essentially 6 months now will handle this team picking 4th or later.
Then this whole thing was a failure until proven otherwise by the player we select

People are so invested because the team is dog shit and we knew we were done from playoff conversation in November. When there’s a generational guy (guys?) in the draft, this is what happens. Every other team at the bottom has been doing the same thing. Chicago has been doing it since last lottery.

If we pick 4th or later then the reaction here will be ugly. Doom and gloom. Because it should be.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
^^ Yes I concur. Picking 4th will have its own anxiety, as there could be a chance that we take Michkov (or even a tiny glimmer of 'hope' that Carlsson would be available) and that comes with a lot of speculation prior and after. Picking 5th and later is basically one tier down and most likely not "franchise altering", or at least will come with less hype.

It's been fun in its own way this season to have such a hyper focus at the bottom of the standings, especially with how close it is, and how much drama and stories there are, but this is nerve wrecking right now.

So yeah 4th or later and it's ragequit time. That's why we need to lose these three games (and yet I don't fully believe we will, very anxious times).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We're gonna win these last three games. Not because I think we're better but because that's just how CBJ hockey works...

There’s no way the Pens should lose.
They’ll play their heart out to miss out on Boston.

Felt crazy so put money for Columbus, Flyers a massive favourite for this game, for some reason.
We all know Columbus is going to win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad