GDT: Game 80 - Blues @ Blackhawks 7:00 PM (CT) NBCSN - Not sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I mean what a shame he expected Keith to make the right play...

I agree with you... I thought we were debating Ward's technique and puck tracking here? lol

He is clearly squared up for a shot. Too bad the puck is already on it's way to Bozak... :laugh:

full

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I agree with you... I thought we were debating Ward's technique and puck tracking here? lol

He is clearly squared up for a shot. Too bad the puck is already on it's way to Bozak... :laugh:

full

You have to stay square there to be honest but you need to flow it to the short side. Ward does not have the athletic ability to do this so he has to make a kick save. Bozak shot it when he was in the blue not 2 feet out (this is what I was talking about in that drill).

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Well sure, because the pass was in Bozak's skates. If not it goes into the net without Ward ever moving. If you watch the play through, Ward even looks into the net for the puck when it is in the crease, because he had no idea what happened.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Well sure, because the pass was in Bozak's skates. If not it goes into the net without Ward ever moving. If you watch the play through, Ward even looks into the net for the puck when it is in the crease, because he had no idea what happened.

Welcome to a desperation backdoor save. Most goalies have the same thought.

The issue here is that Ward does not have the athletic ability anymore. He made the first save which is what you ask in this situation. We are spoiled because Crow somehow has been able to add so legit mobility since coming into the NHL by simply adopting butterfly shuffling instead of stay up and shuffling (plus pads are crazy now).

When I saw pads are crazy I mean it. There is basically no friction and the new skates have insane attack angles. I am very very jealous because I could have been a lot better with this gear as relied on athletic ability and flexibility more than most.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Welcome to a desperation backdoor save. Most goalies have the same thought.

The issue here is that Ward does not have the athletic ability anymore. He made the first save which is what you ask in this situation. We are spoiled because Crow somehow has been able to add so legit mobility since coming into the NHL by simply adopting butterfly shuffling instead of stay up and shuffling (plus pads are crazy now).

When I saw pads are crazy I mean it. There is basically no friction and the new skates have insane attack angles. I am very very jealous because I could have been a lot better with this gear as relied on athletic ability and flexibility more than most.

Oh trust me, I know. Most of the goalies we end up playing against in the upper leagues now are fresh out of college. The speed they get across post to post is absurd.

I just find it hard to believe that Ward lacks the athletic ability to go post to post that quickly. FFS, I watched Foster do it and rob Stastny.... Granted, he wasn't 100% down on the ice(I have no idea why Ward was there, either, actually). I 100% believe it was lack of awareness and puck tracking...

Regardless, he's a terrible goalie, and I cannot believe he wasn't out of the NHL 5 years ago.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Ward doesn't have the explosiveness needed. Some do some don't. He is using the gear that has the least friction (Bauer) so that is not a reason either. Ward has not evolved as much as others and you can see it in his movement not being as fluid.

Foster play is a lot different due to shot location.

Ward served his purpose this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad