GDT: Game 8: Sharks (7-0-1) @ Ducks (5-1-1) 7:00pm PST

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Thought most of the calls were pretty bogus and we were on the fortunate side of things. Thought ducks outplayed sharks for most of first 2 periods and were badly outplayed in 3rd. Lot of defensive breakdowns and this could have been an embarrassing game if not for fasth and some luck. Power play almost lost us game.

Really like the beach / souray pairing an though sbisa / Lydian was above average too. I barely noticed vatanen and thought Allen was terrible.

I think he makes too many decisons both with the puck and defending one on one. I'm hoping its rust but he should sit a game and reevaluate what he is doing out there.

Nikko*

Love the excuses from Sharts fans. And loved seeing how many of them were in the building wearing their Marleau jerseys with shorts and sandals in 50 degree weather. Even in 80 degree weather this would be a tool outfit.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Thought most of the calls were pretty bogus and we were on the fortunate side of things. Thought ducks outplayed sharks for most of first 2 periods and were badly outplayed in 3rd. Lot of defensive breakdowns and this could have been an embarrassing game if not for fasth and some luck. Power play almost lost us game.

Really like the beach / souray pairing an though sbisa / Lydian was above average too. I barely noticed vatanen and thought Allen was terrible.

I think he makes too many decisons both with the puck and defending one on one. I'm hoping its rust but he should sit a game and reevaluate what he is doing out there.

That's because Allen is trying to do too much since Fowler isn't his counterpart. Fowler just seems to be everywhere and Allen knows what Fowler will be doing, thus Allen forced to not do much but hit and be gritty. Vatanen does have great vision, but Fowler's game and chemistry with Allen works better. If Vatanen had Lindholm as his partner, then it's a different dynamic. Allen isn't a puck moving d-man. Heck, most times he can't find the puck at his feet, but he does lay people out and gets into scrums. I just have to get used to knowing his deficiencies and not expect too much more.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
He's looked better in his 1st few NHL games than he ever did in the AHL in my opinion.

Some player's individual skills stand out at the AHL level while others require better players around them and more structured play to excel - Etem appears to be in the latter category.
I'd say the same for Palmieri as well. I really don't like the way Yawney has been running that team.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
That's because Allen is trying to do too much since Fowler isn't his counterpart... I just have to get used to knowing his deficiencies and not expect too much more.

The guy seems to pick up 1-2 penalties per game and they usually don't result because he's been beat... just bad decisions.

And while I realize he's no PMD, I mean the guy turns the puck over more than most rookies.

Additionally, I didn't think he looked that great with Fowler. I thought they've been our weakest pairing all season.

Fowler should be with a steady as a rock defenseman who can drop the gloves if the other team forwards take runs at thim. Allen is a rock and can drop the gloves but there has been positive about his steady play.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I would definitely disagree that they have been our weakest pairing. Quite the opposite, in fact. When they've been on the ice, I think Anaheim has been breaking the puck out well, and has been getting more opportunities, and that's even with Allen's brain farts.

To me, the worst D pairing has been whichever one has Sbisa on it, for the most part. He just has not been good enough, and he keeps losing one-on-one battles.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Agreed on Fowler's pairing being the best so far this season before his injury. He looked like he was poised to have a breakout year before Stoll's stupid hit.

Also agree that Sbisa's pairing has been the worst. He looked like he was coming right but against San Jose I thought he was awful - got beat wide on several occasions and turned the puck over numerous times.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Fowler should be with a steady as a rock defenseman who can drop the gloves if the other team forwards take runs at thim. Allen is a rock and can drop the gloves but there has been positive about his steady play.

I like toughness all through the lineup, but I generally don't want the defensemen fighting. That's just too big of a hole for those 5/10/20 minutes.

That's why the fourth line should have a heavy, and the forwards should have guys who will drop the gloves sprinkled throughout the lineup so that way you don't often have a 5-man unit with no one who will step up.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
The guy seems to pick up 1-2 penalties per game and they usually don't result because he's been beat... just bad decisions.

And while I realize he's no PMD, I mean the guy turns the puck over more than most rookies.

Additionally, I didn't think he looked that great with Fowler. I thought they've been our weakest pairing all season.

allen likes pinching and what not for some reason.. he just needs to keep his game SUPER SIMPLE and let fowler/partner do the rest. honestly if vatanen's job was to purely move the puck up the ice and allen's job was just to be a nasty SOB then i think that'd pairing would be ok. but when you have allen pinching or trying to make a long stretch pass, that pairing just implodes..

lindholm and allen could potentially be a good pairing

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Raise your hand if you are surprised by this.

@tsnbobmckenzie ...I would expect CBJ's Brandon Dubinsky will have hearing with @NHLPlayerSafety for his boarding major on LAK's Rob Scuderi.

For reference, Scuderi came back. Fowler isn't stable enough to fly on planes.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Raise your hand if you are surprised by this.

@tsnbobmckenzie ...I would expect CBJ's Brandon Dubinsky will have hearing with @NHLPlayerSafety for his boarding major on LAK's Rob Scuderi.

For reference, Scuderi came back. Fowler isn't stable enough to fly on planes.

I'm steaming right now. What a crock of ****. Seriously **** the NHL

Ducksgo*

Dude what has Etem handled thus far? The closest thing we have to a single player dominating a game on his own is Koivu. Or Winnik.

A hat trick for Boner? 2 assists? That line dominated. So yes DJ Etem will handle it especially with top line minutes tomorrow. Look out. This is a hopeful assumption btw :sarcasm:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
A hat trick for Boner? 2 assists? That line dominated. So yes DJ Etem will handle it especially with top line minutes tomorrow. Look out. This is a hopeful assumption btw :sarcasm:

He had two assists in a game where his team scored 7 goals. I'm proud of him and I think he looks great for what I was expecting, but I seriously doubt he'll be an x factor in tomorrow's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad