GDT: Game 8 | Islanders @ Blue Jackets | 7 PM EST

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Congrats, you managed to score 0 goals after 60 minutes. Have a mirror.
Hell, I didn't even get on the ice!

Instead of Chick-fil-a ownership needs to get into contact with Pfizer to have bottles of Xanex falling from the rafters and not cows with free sandwiches in them. That's the second game in a row I watched a fan have a public mental breakdown after a loss at the arena and social media is having some of the wildest takes that rival that, or maybe worse, than a Canadian fanbase after a loss. I understand the Detroit game but this wasn't a game that was so devastating that they needed to shout to the heavens that this team needs to move to KC because we are an embarrassment to the league because Vegas and Seattle figured it out but we can't (spite you know the league learned from the Columbus/Wild expansion drafts and never want to put new franchises in a rough spot ever again)

This team is what I expected it to be...a 80-85 point team that needs growing pains to improve and get better. They played a much more veteran team today and it shows has they played well but couldn't finish and need better shot selection. Yet nobody has said the one takeaway from this game I noted...every single game but 1 (Detroit) has been competitive and within comeback distance (down by 1) up until 4 minutes left to play. Even with all these errors, snakebitten scorers, post hits and defensive lapses this team has been competitive in almost every single game so far.

Like I am enjoying actual competitive hockey for once and I am saying once these kids break out watch out! Now to enjoy my free chicken sandwich tomorrow that I can't wait to get after watching that game tonight...
I wish Montgomery Inn or City BBQ would sponsor this promo except use pigs instead of cows. Because... I'll finally win when pigs fly.

• Haha
Reactions: EspenK

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I wish Montgomery Inn or City BBQ would sponsor this promo except use pigs instead of cows. Because... I'll finally win when pigs fly.
You would think Montgomery Inn would have a much bigger promotion presence with the TV timeout breaks. Not only they have food stand but provide significantly large prizes sponsored by them (for example the recent SHT event feedback has a drawing for $500 gift card from them because I memed to myself I would win it so I would have to drive two hours to get my meal). This is why I bet they don't do stuff like this because the old restaurant in Dublin closed up a few years ago. That being said still I love the idea of pigs falling from the sky that include most having free BBQ sauce coupons (which alone is crack) on but several a few having coupons for free CBJ items from the Blueline stores

*cough cough marketing team if you are lurking work with Montgomery Inn for said promotion opportunities*

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Speaking of shutouts and Varlamov ..

Item No. 3: Snacks

The Blue Jackets have been shut out twice already this season (both at home) in only eight games, first by Detroit (4-0 on Oct. 16) and then by the Islanders (2-0 on Saturday). As awful as last season was, the Blue Jackets didn’t suffer their second shutout loss in Nationwide Arena until early January. Saturday’s blanking got us wondering: Which opponent has the most shutouts against Columbus? It’s Detroit with 14, followed by Colorado (11), Nashville (10) and Chicago and the Islanders (eight). Which begs the next question …

Which goaltender has blanked the Blue Jackets more than any other? The Islanders’ Semyon Varlamov, who had 34 saves on Saturday, is tied for the top of that list with Evgeni Nabokov (San Jose) and Roberto Luongo (Florida, Vancouver) with four each. Varlamov has actually been part of five shutouts vs. Columbus because he came into a game on Nov. 30, 2019, and made 30 saves over the final 45:54 in relief of Thomas Greiss in a 2-0 win. But when goaltenders combine on a shutout, the shutout is credited to the club, not an individual player.

Seeing Nabokov’s name on that list is a painful reminder of the Blue Jackets’ 2000 expansion draft. They could have plucked Nabokov away from San Jose, but passed because they’d already swung a trade with Colorado for promising youngster Marc Denis. Instead, the Blue Jackets swung a deal with the Sharks to ensure San Jose could keep Nabokov, taking journeyman goaltender Rick Tabaracci instead. (Tabaracci retired after spending the following season in the minors.) For the favor, the Blue Jackets got forward Jan Caloun (then an unsigned player in Europe) and a ninth-round draft pick, which they later flipped in a trade for forward Chris Nielsen. Nabokov, who won the Calder Trophy as the NHL’s top rookie in 2001, went on to win 353 games over a 14-year pro career with San Jose, the Islanders and Tampa Bay.

• Wow
Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
For the favor, the Blue Jackets got forward Jan Caloun (then an unsigned player in Europe)
Ah, the memories. Jan Caloun (his EP profile) was a good player in his prime, he would've probably fared much better in today's NHL than that of the early 2000s. He played at a point per game or better in Finland for multiple seasons around that time and was very influential. Looks like 11 games for the Jackets (more interesting are the games for the Sharks where he was actually scoring a few years earlier, I wonder what his story is re: NHL and opportunities).

But yeah didn't know about the Nabokov aspect. Wow that sounds like a stinger in hindsight, pun intended.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
...I am deadass convinced that Lou Lamoriello built a time machine, went back to 2002, abducted Martin Brodeur, brought him back to the present day, put him in Semyon Varlamov's equipment, and put him out there to beat us. It would make sense: they're both 6'2", 210 lbs.

We thoroughly got goalied. I just hope that Jake Oettinger is more porous tonight.

Reactions: majormajor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad