GDT: [Game #8] Dallas Stars vs. Washington Capitals - 7:30 PM CT (BSSWX)

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
The second Benn and Seguin are on the ice together Ovechkin looks dangerous. Anyway

Reactions: Elysian

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Dellandrea got a taste of the NHL a couple of seasons ago but wasn't ready and I was unimpressed.
This season, he's at such a higher level that you can see the difference. Really won me over so far.

Oshie's always been a little bitch.
Yeah, I wasn't too high on Dellandrea coming into the season. But he has proven me wrong. Smart plays all over the ice.

Also, I was afraid of what the d-core would look like sans Heiskanen in the Summer. But man, Lundkvist might be one of Nill's better pick-ups. Such high hockey-IQ and will only get better with more experience.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Oettinger should fire his agent for talking him into taking a three season deal at below average money for a starter.
He definitely got above average money for his position, TBH, and clearly the Stars thought so too because it took them an age to sign Robertson, they were probably not planning on being that short on cap. Not saying he isn't deserving of it to this point in the season, but when you look at Oettinger through the lens of his regular season games, he was a very, very average starter statistically, with inconsistently great performances up until the playoffs. I think those playoffs earned him about $1M per year extra.

BTW, I have barely gotten to watch any hockey this season, what is going on with Kiviranta? Guy has looked more dynamic in the highlights I've watched than the entirety of the last two seasons. Bowness really out here killing player talent.

Last edited:

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Best part about that play is Carlson whining about no penalty when the only penalty committed there was a hook by Carlson

Carlson looked like dogwater that whole 3rd period, not a surprise they lost.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Honestly the way the Caps play its blatantly obvious the only thing they're actually playing for these days is getting Ovi the biggest chance at the goals record as possible.

Why else would a 37 year old winger play 25 minutes in game 8 of the regular season ?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Honestly the way the Caps play its blatantly obvious the only thing they're actually playing for these days is getting Ovi the biggest chance at the goals record as possible.

Why else would a 37 year old winger play 25 minutes in game 8 of the regular season ?

To be fair it’s still a great way for them to win :laugh:

Ovi had two go off the bar and at least one other that required a tough save for Oettinger. A few inches and he could’ve beat us by himself.

Reactions: Satan

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Not much to add, other than all comments here are about right, based on seeing it live.

I was impressed by Delly in his one PO game last year, and apparently that AHL seasoning did him some good. He is a full motor kind of guy with some skill. He might be as impressive case of playoff carryover as Otter.

Benn had a few more examples of trying to use Jamie 2015 hands when he has version 2022 hands. Guri had a few impressive moments, and no big whoops, so that was nice to see, and would have liked him to have gotten that goal that bounced off the pipe to get off the goose egg.

Interesting note somewhere online, but the Stars might have two Calder candidates in Nils and Wyatt J. Of course, they will probably just cancel each other out and the win will go to someone else.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
He definitely got above average money for his position, TBH, and clearly the Stars thought so too because it took them an age to sign Robertson, they were probably not planning on being that short on cap. Not saying he isn't deserving of it to this point in the season, but when you look at Oettinger through the lens of his regular season games, he was a very, very average starter statistically, with inconsistently great performances up until the playoffs. I think those playoffs earned him about $1M per year extra.
I completely agree about the money he's getting this season. He went into negotiations with a very limited resume. It's why he entered the season as the 21st highest cap hit among active goalies (ignoring the LTIR guys). Fine. I get it. He has to earn the bigger deal.

My point is he never should have agreed to three seasons at that salary. He's going to finish this season looking very underpaid, and even worse, that means he has two more seasons of getting completely robbed by the Stars.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not much to add, other than all comments here are about right, based on seeing it live.

I was impressed by Delly in his one PO game last year, and apparently that AHL seasoning did him some good. He is a full motor kind of guy with some skill. He might be as impressive case of playoff carryover as Otter.

Benn had a few more examples of trying to use Jamie 2015 hands when he has version 2022 hands. Guri had a few impressive moments, and no big whoops, so that was nice to see, and would have liked him to have gotten that goal that bounced off the pipe to get off the goose egg.

Interesting note somewhere online, but the Stars might have two Calder candidates in Nils and Wyatt J. Of course, they will probably just cancel each other out and the win will go to someone else.

Unless Nils puts up 50+ points or Johnston 70+, neither will come close. This is a strong group of rookies this year.

Reactions: Spotty 2 Hotty

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I completely agree about the money he's getting this season. He went into negotiations with a very limited resume. It's why he entered the season as the 21st highest cap hit among active goalies (ignoring the LTIR guys). Fine. I get it. He has to earn the bigger deal.

My point is he never should have agreed to three seasons at that salary. He's going to finish this season looking very underpaid, and even worse, that means he has two more seasons of getting completely robbed by the Stars.

Ah gotcha, I'm not sure why 3 years was the number, but I think it's a fairly typical 2nd contract number for goalies. I guess with goalies, since they're so volatile year to year, they need a good amount of time to figure out if they're the real deal or not. Lots of goalies have had one stellar year and fallen off the face of the earth. 2 years is probably better for him, though. Maybe why both deals took so long, I think Robertson got ripped off a lot more than Oettinger did, though I'm sure that's no consolation to Jake if he keeps this up.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Most young goalies are severely underpaid. It’s pretty standard NHL practice.

Shesterkin has another 3 years at a 5.67M AAV. Saros and Demko at 5M each. Sorokin at 4M. Even after Vasilevskiy became the starter, he only got 3.5M per for 3 years.

Oettinger is maybe a bit low relative to these comparables, but nothing too far out of the ordinary.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Wyatt and Delly keep getting better. I think you could argue this was the best game from each of them even though they didn’t end up on the scoresheet. They both got the puck to dangerous areas of the ice multiple times and both had good defensive plays. Delly did some great PK’ing as well, picking off a few passes. Wyatt keeps hanging onto the puck longer as he gets experience and it’s making him more dangerous. Fun stuff.

Reactions: Kcb12345

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Otter's next contract hinges on whether he can get any award recognition during his bridge. Vasi was a Vezina finalist all 3 years and got a huge deal afterward. Holtby, meanwhile, was 5th in voting the 2nd year of his bridge deal, then won it the next year which would have been the 3rd year of his bridge but instead it was the first year of his long term deal and he didn't get to cash out.

Bobrovsky won a Vezina in the last year of his ELC and even he could not get any award recognition during his 2 year bridge. He had to take another 4 year instead of the megabucks payday he was probably banking on. Lucky for him, he ended up with some Vezina attention during that deal and got paid bigtime for it.

Tuukka Rask is similar. Got some Vezina votes during his ELC, could not replicate during his 2 year bridge. Accepted his QO and that was the year he bounced back and earned his extension. Then he won the Vezina the first year of that extension.

I'm not even trying to cherry pick these examples. I'm really looking for cases where goalies seemed to benefit from only signing 2 year bridges instead of 3.

Otter's deal right now looks exactly as though he signed a 2 year deal and then accepted his 1 year QO right after, except he gets the added security of knowing that in case he completely falls off a cliff due to injury or whatever, the Stars will still pay him for that extra year instead of having the option to walk away. The downside of course is that if he gets Vezina recognition this year then he probably leaves some money on the table. But that was always pretty unlikely, judging by high end young goalies of the past and when they finally earned recognition for their skills.

Long story short, a 3 year bridge is a nice balance between giving a goalie plenty of time to earn big time dollars, while not giving away too many of those early productive years too cheaply.

Reactions: ugrakarma and LT

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Most young goalies are severely underpaid. It’s pretty standard NHL practice.

Shesterkin has another 3 years at a 5.67M AAV. Saros and Demko at 5M each. Sorokin at 4M. Even after Vasilevskiy became the starter, he only got 3.5M per for 3 years.

Oettinger is maybe a bit low relative to these comparables, but nothing too far out of the ordinary.
I think most of those guys are at least a tier above Oettinger, Stesterkin and Vasilevskiy are in their own universe, Saros probably isn't too far behind. IMO, Oettinger should be low compared to them, until the playoffs I don't think he'd done anything worth comparing them to.

Reactions: LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think most of those guys are at least a tier above Oettinger, Stesterkin and Vasilevskiy are in their own universe, Saros probably isn't too far behind. IMO, Oettinger should be low compared to them, until the playoffs I don't think he'd done anything worth comparing them to.

Exactly. I don’t think I made that clear, relative to his comparables Oettinger is paid accordingly. They just are all underpaid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad