GDT: Game 8 | Arizona @ Columbus | Return of the Laine | 7 PM EST

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
It’s absolutely idiotic to sit Foudy last night … they can’t send him down , because he will be claimed , and honestly he looked like one of our better forwards in NY . Coming off a 2 point game in his debut , he gets scratched the next game . I’m not sure if it’s the politics of Robinson being Johnnys friend , but at the very minimum Foudy should be playing over either of these guys . What’s the solution , you going to let him sit and not develop , when he’s already been plagued with trying to develop during covid ? He’s an absolute weapon if his offensive game catches up with his speed . In all honesty , Jarmo dropped the ball when he had a glut of forwards coming into the season , and decided to keep Nyquist , or some others that could be traded to beef up the defense .

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Not sure if accurate, but some people on twitter who were at the game were saying that Roslovic and Voracek got into quite a shouting match during a TV timeout.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Playing like that against Arizona you should win 90% of the time. If the Rangers were bit unlucky and got beaten like 5-1 (don't remember the exact score), now the CBJ was really unlucky both ends.
That Powerplay is inexcusable and isn't going to win many games.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Most of you guys wanted “entertaining” hockey with goals and the team not focusing on defense….

Are you not getting what you wanted and asked for??

Last edited:
Reactions: Monstershockey

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
That Powerplay is inexcusable and isn't going to win many games.
I think that their first PP was pretty good but everything falls apart when you don't score. Guys start forcing plays and then it looks like some of the last PP did look like: 4 times in a row forced entry denied by Coyotes.

Reactions: Marioesque

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
It’s absolutely idiotic to sit Foudy last night … they can’t send him down , because he will be claimed , and honestly he looked like one of our better forwards in NY . Coming off a 2 point game in his debut , he gets scratched the next game . I’m not sure if it’s the politics of Robinson being Johnnys friend , but at the very minimum Foudy should be playing over either of these guys . What’s the solution , you going to let him sit and not develop , when he’s already been plagued with trying to develop during covid ? He’s an absolute weapon if his offensive game catches up with his speed . In all honesty , Jarmo dropped the ball when he had a glut of forwards coming into the season , and decided to keep Nyquist , or some others that could be traded to beef up the defense .
The guy Foudy should be playing over is Sillinger, not Robinson. Foudy a is waste on the fourth line. Silly should be sent to Cleveland. I think him missing most of camp as hurt him this season so far. You send him to Cleveland to play and get sorted again. As far as keeping Nyquist, I think he was prob forced into keeping him because trading Nyquist would have probably meant giving something up and getting nothing back. The Jackets aren't there yet.
Not sure if accurate, but some people on twitter who were at the game were saying that Roslovic and Voracek got into quite a shouting match during a TV timeout.
Did they mention who started it? Because as bad as Voracek started, he has looked better the past couple of games (still not great but better.) Roslovic is an enigma. We have seen he is capable of being a 2C, he just doesn't for games upon games.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
It’s absolutely idiotic to sit Foudy last night … they can’t send him down , because he will be claimed , and honestly he looked like one of our better forwards in NY . Coming off a 2 point game in his debut , he gets scratched the next game . I’m not sure if it’s the politics of Robinson being Johnnys friend , but at the very minimum Foudy should be playing over either of these guys . What’s the solution , you going to let him sit and not develop , when he’s already been plagued with trying to develop during covid ? He’s an absolute weapon if his offensive game catches up with his speed . In all honesty , Jarmo dropped the ball when he had a glut of forwards coming into the season , and decided to keep Nyquist , or some others that could be traded to beef up the defense

had to play Olivier those 5 mins lmao

Reactions: Halberdier

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Most of you guys wanted “entertaining” hockey with goals and the team not focusing on defense….

I'm getting exactly what I wanted and asked for, thanks for asking. A+ grade so far for all involved.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

No, we are not getting what we wanted for. CBJ scored 0 goals when the game was still on. Also goals against were not because of poor defending. Coyotes did score from about every opportunity they had.

Well, yet again the 1st line was strong both ends and about what was asked for, but 1 goal for by them isn't enough.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm getting exactly what I wanted and asked for, thanks for asking. A+ grade so far for all involved.
Laine goals and Gudbranson minuses and everyone is happy
No, we are not getting what we wanted for. CBJ scored 0 goals when the game was still on. Also goals against were not because of poor defending. Coyotes did score from about every opportunity they had.

Well, yet again the 1st line was strong both ends and about what was asked for, but 1 goal for by them isn't enough.

Sure, it’s his 1st game back, but, Laine and that 1st line didn’t do shit!!

JJ Moser (underrated) and Josh f***ing Brown just shut superstar Laine down!!

You guys will give Laine credit for the “attempts” when he should be looked at negatively for not getting pucks through the defense. You’d think a guy with the best shot in the league could figure these guys (and Ingram) out.

Oh right, something something Jenner.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Especially if it gets us bedard.. the defense is on its way to being fixed … Peeke has been a bright spot and I believe a plus 4 on the season , which is amazing with the amount of goals we have given up … Boquist looks better this yr , and I won’t be surprised to see Jiricek get called up maybe have way thru the season if he continues to progress . It looks like we landed a great talent in Mateychuk. Cuelemans seems to really be developing . When you look at the positives , Chinakov , Laine,Johnson, Marchenko, Foudy, Texier (assuming he’s not traded), you have a really solid nucleus … getting an elite talent at this next draft would be a major win , for the long term

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014

You guys will give Laine credit for the “attempts” when he should be looked at negatively for not getting pucks through the defense. You’d think a guy with the best shot in the league could figure these guys (and Ingram) out.

Didn’t take you long! One game he’s not on the score sheet and played well defensively and you shit on him.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Laine was our the best player. Good not only in offense, but in defense too. Although I know, according you he' is bad. Btw, when did him shut? Next, it was his first game from 09/13.

Also again, you don't forgot, we played the 3th game in four days. Do you think players are Robocops?

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

So one of us didn't watch the game. That's completely OK.

Since I was quite sure I did watch the game, I had to check Natural Stat Trick whether I was just hallucinating or something. Turns out I was not.

Laine & Gaudreau (see marked two rows on following screenshot) had 100% Corsi For % (yeah, corsi is crap), and much over 80% xGoals For %, and obviously 1 GF, 0 GA, expected 1.5 goals, and they should have scored around 3. They did do "shit", in the real world.

Also CBJ was much better team, except on the 2nd where it was kind of tie.

Btw. Gudbransson was <24% xGF%, which would not be end of the world for a single game, but when the next worst CBJ D was 67% xGF%, that's quite worrying for Gud.

Edit: sorry messed screenshots on the first try. Now there are team stats on one screenshot and some best individual CBJ player stats on another one, Gaudreau & Laine with orange color marks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221026_231959.jpg
    Screenshot_20221026_231959.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20221026_231650.jpg
    Screenshot_20221026_231650.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: wabagee

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Didn’t take you long! One game he’s not on the score sheet and played well defensively and you shit on him.
Laine was our the best player. Good not only in offense, but in defense too. Although I know, according you is bad. I'm just annoyed by one thing, Jenner between Gaudreau and Laine. He doesn't connect them.

Also again, you don't forgot, we played the 3th game in four days. Do you think players are Robocops?
So one of us didn't watch the game. That's completely OK.

Since I was quite sure I did watch the game, I had to check Natural Stat Trick whether I was just hallucinating or something. Turns out I was not.

Laine & Gaudreau (see marked two rows on following screenshot) had 100% Corsi For % (yeah, corsi is crap), and much over 80% xGoals For %, and obviously 1 GF, 0 GA, expected 1.5 goals, and they should have scored around 3. They did do "shit", in the real world.

Btw. Gudbransson was <24% xGF%, which would not be end of the world for a single game, but when the next worst CBJ D was 67% xGF%, that's quite worrying for Gud.

Edit: sorry messed screenshots on the first try. Now there are team stats on one screenshot and some best individual CBJ player stats on another one, Gaudreau & Laine with orange color marks.
Screw the nonsense “stats”.

What the hell did Laine do to be considered the best player on both ends of the ice?? He made 1 simple/textbook defensive play to lift a guys stick in the slot and it’s treated as if it was some special play.

Offensively, he was mostly floating around the perimeter of the zone/ice (which is a regular occurrence) and/ or getting 1 of his shots blocked. Gaudreau didn’t really do shit either, unlike Laine, he could get the puck into the zone in the PP, but that’s about it. That goal they scored means nothing AT ALL, and it’s ridiculous the way that 1st line and the team seemed to finally “turn it on” after being down 4+ goals.

And to be clear, regarding Laine/Gaudreau/Werenski, these guys get paid and are given the ice time TO PRODUCE MORE THAN OTHER PLAYERS. To add, being “better” than terrible doesn’t make you “good”. It’s like some of you guys have never watched the best players of other teams play.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

What the hell did Laine do to be considered the best player on both ends of the ice?? He made 1 simple/textbook defensive play to lift a guys stick in the slot and it’s treated as if it was some special play.

Offensively, he was mostly floating around the perimeter of the zone/ice (which is a regular occurrence) and/ or getting 1 of his shots blocked. Gaudreau didn’t really do shit either, unlike Laine, he could get the puck into the zone in the PP, but that’s about it. That goal they scored means nothing AT ALL, and it’s ridiculous the way that 1st line and the team seemed to finally “turn it on” after being down 4+ goals.

And to be clear, regarding Laine/Gaudreau/Werenski, these guys get paid and are given the ice time TO PRODUCE MORE THAN OTHER PLAYERS. To add, being “better” than terrible doesn’t make you “good”. It’s like some of you guys have never watched the best players of other teams play.
While xGoals is nowhere perfect (and it's especially flawed on xGF side of things [typically biased AGAINST the best shooters like Laine]), it isn't nonsensial.

You don't get some 80+ xGF% *with* 1.5 xGF on a game by "floating around" and playing well once on one situation. That's bollocks.

Your hatred towards certain players (or right now a certain player) makes you completely unable to observe what is happening on the ice.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

1st bold you literally look at as a positive when (after the actual on ice instances against ARI) THEIR RESULTS should literally be looked at negatively.

Tons of failed offensive play the 1st 2 periods and a COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS 3rd period goal already down MANY goals, is “successful”??

You make the claim I didn’t watch the game, yet, say the CBJ was the “much better team” for most of the game…

Because of a bunch of BS shots from the outside and a bunch of blown offensive chances/blocked shots?? Not to mention the 3rd period should be looked at completely differently being down so much.

Reactions: Cowumbus

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I saw the game. Of course I ment forwards.

If I'm not mistaken, Gaudreau is the one in charge of transition, Laine was more likely to run the offense, and accurately so. About his shots, how do you think he should have shot after his right elbow injury? Speed is one thing, accuracy is another. Other than that, I'm talking in general about his game not the best in offense and also the best in defense..

Also I wrote he was our best player. How our team played you watched yourself.

And I repeat, look at Arizona's schedule and compare it to ours.

Btw, I'm not interesting in stats. So, although he has them good I don't believe they show all players play.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I saw the game. Of course I ment forwards.

If I'm not mistaken, Gaudreau is the one in charge of transition, Laine was more likely to run the offense, and accurately so. About his shots, how do you think he should have shot after his right elbow injury? Speed is one thing, accuracy is another. Other than that, I'm talking in general about his game. That goes for defense, the play at the boards, turnovers.

And I repeat, look at Arizona's schedule and compare it to ours.
I’m not taking the time to look them up, how many shots did Laine have on target vs being blocked or missed the net against ARI??

He needs to “pump fake”/ fake shots way more often then he does, especially when teams/players are committing fully and going down to block your shots…and being SUCCESSFUL at it.

f***ing ADAPT!! That’s what keeps some of us from looking at him in a way that you others do.

To look at Laine, Gaudreau, or the “1st line” in any positive light after the ARI game is ignorant, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad