GDT: Game 78: Ottawa @ Columbus | 7 PM EST

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
gee, not much cookin on the 3 SO shots…..Gus had the best shot but I’m not sure that tonight he’d have netted an EN.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I am a bit surprised. Sillinger and Johnson were two of our best players tonight. Maybe our two best. Yeah they got on the scoresheet once, but they could have had a couple more and moneypuck tells me they had two chances for for every one against. That is the best thing thing you can see this time of year.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Explain me why Gavrikov and not Bean played in OT. Jake has better skill, passes, shot, hockey vision. On the opposite side, Vladislav is better in defense, play without the puck, physical play.
When Ottawa started to better skate, improved passes, we had problems.
What's happen Bjorkie?
I hope at least one of Laine/Werenski will be fit against Edmonton.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
Right now I mostly see String Bean.

Probably hyperbole, but Blanks look like our 3rd best DMan
I think a handful of games Blanks is consistent and you notice him. He looked the same at Michigan and I was very happy and surprised when they signed him.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Maybe this is just old coach not trusting a rookie, or maybe he knows something we don't. Maybe at this point KJ can't keep up skating-wise in the 3v3?
I was referring to the SO. But I’d have had no qualms if he came out at some point in 3 on 3

Reactions: MAHJ71

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Is KJ really good in the SO? I wouldn't know.
Honestly I don’t either except his puck skills look like they’d be nifty for a SO….I’m guessing the coaches have history on breakaways success (or lack of)

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Also I think Blankenburg is an actually fast short guy and not one that just looks fast which is nice
Gotta watch the game on replay later since I didn't see it live, did he look faster vs Ottawa than against the previous teams?

I've seen the other games of his brief CBJ career, and been thinking if he could be a reliable 2nd or 3rd pair dman for us during a playoff series, or just when winning games actually matters.

I don't have a lot of doubts about his capability, he's obviously very smart, skilled and strong for a 5'9 player. That said, I've found myself kind of hoping that he could still find another gear in his skating, at the age of 24. It's not looking bad but in my head I'm trying to picture a future scenario where he's defending 1vs1 vs some speed demon who's significantly bigger than him, and I wonder how often is he going to get burned. He may never be able to fix the lack of reach but can he get a little bit faster, in both forwards and backwards skating (and in transitions from one to the other) with the right coach and optimal training program?

Reactions: VT

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Gotta watch the game on replay later since I didn't see it live, did he look faster vs Ottawa than against the previous teams?

I've seen the other games of his brief CBJ career, and been thinking if he could be a reliable 2nd or 3rd pair dman for us during a playoff series, or just when winning games actually matters.

I don't have a lot of doubts about his capability, he's obviously very smart, skilled and strong for a 5'9 player. That said, I've found myself kind of hoping that he could still find another gear in his skating, at the age of 24. It's not looking bad but in my head I'm trying to picture a future scenario where he's defending 1vs1 vs some speed demon who's significantly bigger than him, and I wonder how often is he going to get burned. He may never be able to fix the lack of reach but can he get a little bit faster, in both forwards and backwards skating (and in transitions from one to the other) with the right coach and optimal training program?

I'm wondering if we have the same situations and plays in mind. To my mind, Blankenburg is very quick in pivoting and has good speed in all directions. I really like his lateral mobility. I think he plays aggressively and has put himself in situations where he might get burned, I didn't get the idea that he is actually slow going backwards.

I like the aggressiveness in the neutral zone, I think he will just have to learn who he needs to back off against.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I'm wondering if we have the same situations and plays in mind. To my mind, Blankenburg is very quick in pivoting and has good speed in all directions. I really like his lateral mobility. I think he plays aggressively and has put himself in situations where he might get burned, I didn't get the idea that he is actually slow going backwards.

I like the aggressiveness in the neutral zone, I think he will just have to learn who he needs to back off against.
I was mainly thinking about the pivoting, it has looked great to me too but in some plays it hasn't been as smooth and seamless as it could be for a skater of his level. I agree that he's a good skater in all aspects but not that good he could very often afford to lose a step in change of directions.

Edit: I couldn't find clips of Blankenburg doing these types of turns on the ice but I found videos of other people demonstrating this skating stuff so I hope this helps.

I don't know what is the English hockey term for this type of skate movement. Nevertheless you can imagine a situation where Jackets are heading up ice but then there's a turnover in neutral zone that forces Jackets to skate back towards their own zone. At the time of turnover, Blankenburg is located somewhere between the red line and the defensive blueline. He has to do this turn from forwards to backwards skating while facing the play. What I tried to say was that his turns look good on these situations but at the same time I wonder if there's still room for improvement to get them to look cleaner.

The thing OEL does with his skates at the 8 second mark on this video is called pivoting, am I correct? I'm terrible with skating terminology. Anyways, it's another type of situation which I think might be difficult for Blank if he has to play against very quick forwards.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad