GDT: Game 78: Coyotes @ Kings - 7:30 - FSAZ+

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
In Coyote country we call that NORMAL.

Well it's the same for Nashville country just maybe not as much these past couple years since we have better offensive talent now. Seems like lately though we either win decisively or lose badly and not much in between. Almost rather have some more heart attack wins. Thanks to your team for the help though.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
We really need to lose our last 3 games of the season. We own the number 2 pick right now and I really would hate not to pick top 5 in this draft (because let's be honest that's exactly where our luck would put us). The good news is we have 1 fewer game to play than Vancouver and NJ.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
We really need to lose our last 3 games of the season. We own the number 2 pick right now and I really would hate not to pick top 5 in this draft (because let's be honest that's exactly where our luck would put us). The good news is we have 1 fewer game to play than Vancouver and NJ.

I'm glad the Coyotes finished off the Kings. Now let's see if the idiots in this franchise have finally learned their lesson about the importance of tanking. I doubt it very much they will as we need New Jersey and Vancouver to win more of their games.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I missed the third, sounds like things got a little hairy. Mission accomplished though, we officially eliminated LA.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm glad the Coyotes finished off the Kings. Now let's see if the idiots in this franchise have finally learned their lesson about the importance of tanking. I doubt it very much they will as we need New Jersey and Vancouver to win more of their games.

There is no reason to tank this year. The top ten eligible draft prospects are separated by almost no margin and we still have the three lottery system. Finishing last versus fourth to last really has no meaning. Last year? Yes! The year before? Hell yes!! This year? Meh.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This team needs to get heavier.

We should have Fischer next year, Crouse will be more of a force, our LW looks set and if Duclair picks it up he is in the RW mix along with Reider. The only spot open is C. I agree, we are a little light. Do you have a player in mind?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There is no reason to tank this year. The top ten eligible draft prospects are separated by almost no margin and we still have the three lottery system. Finishing last versus fourth to last really has no meaning. Last year? Yes! The year before? Hell yes!! This year? Meh.

Yeah, and players and coaches don't tank.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

I'm not talking about tanking. I love it when the team wins but I still want the higher pick and it would really suck to be this bad (even though some great progress was made imo) and end up with potentially pick #7 again. I know this draft isn't deep and there is little difference between the top guys this year, but I want them to be able to have their pick of who they want rather than have to take what's left.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Chayka and Tippett could've moved Vrbata. They could've sent the young talent down to Tucson and picked up waiver fodder to fill the NHL gaps. We could've caught Colorado for last place. There's just no point in doing stuff like that this year. Especially not at the cost of potentially damaging relationships. For McDavid? Sure. Matthews? Yup. Patrick? Nah.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chayka and Tippett could've moved Vrbata. They could've sent the young talent down to Tucson and picked up waiver fodder to fill the NHL gaps. We could've caught Colorado for last place. There's just no point in doing stuff like that this year. Especially not at the cost of potentially damaging relationships. For McDavid? Sure. Matthews? Yup. Patrick? Nah.

I was agreeing with you.:)

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
If you put Domi and Duke together, they'll score. Who would have thought?

Tippett is an absolute brilliant mastermind for figuring that out in game 75.

Yep, it certainly appeared that way in the Washington game, too... oh Duke didn't score with Domi then? When was the last time Duke and Domi had points together? The Tampa Bay game about 5 games ago.

Maybe just putting them together on the same line doesn't actually guarantee that they will score. Who would have thought?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not talking about tanking. I love it when the team wins but I still want the higher pick and it would really suck to be this bad (even though some great progress was made imo) and end up with potentially pick #7 again. I know this draft isn't deep and there is little difference between the top guys this year, but I want them to be able to have their pick of who they want rather than have to take what's left.

Even at #7 we should have a decent shot of drafting a top 6 forward who may end up having a better career than either Patrick or Hischier. Mittlestadt, Vilardi, Glass, Petersson, Tippett, Necas - all could be very valuable adds to our forward group. Could also be a good spot to go D.

I agree that I'd like to stay within the top 5 so we have more flexibility, but honestly, I wouldn't mind if we win out either.

Last edited:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Maybe just putting them together on the same line doesn't actually guarantee that they will score. Who would have thought?

Wow! So putting them together, doesn't guarantee 82 goals a season? You sure showed me.

Even with deadweight like Burmistrov centering them, the fantastic chemistry these two have is readily apparent. It's unacceptable that we didn't play them together in consecutive games until well after 90% of the season had passed.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There are certainly some fans of this franchise who still haven't...

Like... yourself? Tanking for a franchise player when you are absolutely awful and the prize is so absurdly good is just good business. The Coyotes routinely make bad business decisions, on and off the ice.

This year, there's no top flight prize, but a higher pick is still more valuable. Nothing wrong with hoping the Coyotes stay at 29.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Like... yourself? Tanking for a franchise player when you are absolutely awful and the prize is so absurdly good is just good business. The Coyotes routinely make bad business decisions, on and off the ice.

We absolutely did tank in '15. How'd that work out for business? It was bad enough to watch in person, thanks. Really helped attendance in future seasons, too, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
We absolutely did tank in '15. How'd that work out for business? It was bad enough to watch in person, thanks. Really helped attendance in future seasons, too, right?

The denial is strong in you if you believe landing a PPG+ franchise center like McDavid or Eichel who made an impact starting with their first NHL game would not have greatly contributed in turning around our attendance and financial situtation. I doubt you'd see any Sabres fans still ***** about their 2015 tank job and say Eichel wasn't worth all that pain.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

You want to trade a few moral victories for potentially pulling the franchise out of the gutter for years to come? ... how do you think this franchise is going to do better?

I'll never understand people that enjoy bad hockey while also demanding that it continue in perpetuity.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
When there are a couple of gems in a draft I can accept a tank. When there is a weak draft with no stars and little space between the top 6 or 7 picks, why tank. Eventually you have to start winning and give up that vaunted high pick.

We have Strome and Dvorak. How are Patrick or Hischier any better than that pair? I want an electric forward. We have lots of second and third line forwards with only Domi, maybe Keller and Perlini looking like first line talent.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's all about situational context. If you are within reach of a couple of generational talents - players who become franchise fixtures for a couple of decades - then tanking to improve the odds of getting one of them is a viable strategy with the way things stand.

Now, the NHL could fix things a bit and say that the lottery odds are best for teams who achieve the best records after being eliminated from playoff contention (although this would hurt the truly bad teams who need star players and legitimately can't win without them).

As for this season, there's nothing worth tanking for. A lottery pick is about as worthwhile as anyone else in the top 10 this year. I think it's more valuable for our team to try and foster a culture of winning than it is to submarine the last few games to improve the odds of getting a lottery win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad