BRUINS GDT GAME 78 4/23 3:15 PM - NY Rangers return to Causeway Street - Possible first-round preview? - ABC, ESPN+, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1650656523612.png

Play-by-Play: Sean McDonough

Analysts: Ray Ferraro

Reporting: Emily Kaplan

In Studio: Steve Levy with Mark Messier and Chris Chelios
1650656479342.png

1650656581191.png

1650656677436.png

The Boston Bruins will look to avoid a season series sweep when they host the New York Rangers on Saturday afternoon.

Boston (47-25-5, 99 points) enters the third and final regular-season meeting with its Original Six rivals having lost four of six following Thursday's 4-0 setback in Pittsburgh.

The Bruins were shut out for the first time in franchise history when taking at least 50 shots on goal. New Hampshire native Casey DeSmith made a career-high 52 stops en route to his third shutout of the season for Pittsburgh.

Jeremy Swayman made 28 saves before falling for just the seventh time in his last 21 decisions (14-6-1). But, Jason Zucker's goal felt like a backbreaker after the Bruins had registered the first 10 shots of the second period.

"I think when we needed a timely save tonight, we didn't get it," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "Obviously, we didn't finish any plays either. ... That's the save you need in this type of game and we didn't get it. From there I thought we pushed a little bit, but that's a game-changing moment. Give their guy credit. He made a lot of good stops."

Brad Marchand had a game-high eight shots on goal for Boston.

The Bruins had previously won back-to-back games. They defeated the Penguins, 2-1, last Saturday before leaving St. Louis with a 3-2 triumph on Tuesday, thanks to defenseman Charlie McAvoy's overtime goal.

"We've got to finish better," Cassidy said. "We've been struggling to score the last little bit. We got away with it the last few games because we played well defensively and got the saves. (Thursday), we didn't."

Though Thursday marked its first time being shut out since Feb. 10 against Carolina, Boston hasn't scored more than three goals in any of its last nine games. That coincides with an 0-for-29 drought on the power play.

"I have the puck a lot, obviously, and just the way teams are setting up, so we were working on finding where things were open and how to attack from there," Marchand said.

The Rangers (51-21-6, 108 points) enter their second visit to Boston on the strength of a four-game winning streak.

The first three wins came in shutout fashion before that streak ended during Thursday's 6-3 victory at the New York Islanders. That win officially gave the Rangers home-ice advantage to start the playoffs.

"I'm happy with the way we played the last number of games because there are some games we've played teams that were out of the playoffs and we still kept focusing on our game and playing the right way," Rangers coach Gerard Gallant said. "I like winning, but I'm more happy with the way we're playing, definitely."

Andrew Copp, who was acquired from Winnipeg last month, scored a first-period natural hat trick before exiting late in the third with a lower-body injury.

Artemi Panarin logged his 20th multi-assist game this season and extended his point streak to four games after setting up four goals. Former Harvard defenseman Adam Fox dished out three in his 200th NHL game.

Chris Kreider scored his 51st goal and league-leading 26th on the power play.

Last edited:

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Just call up the whole Providence roster and have them play. I'll be out on the golf course so won't be able to watch this one, but if it's anything like the last handful of games, spare the StL game, I won't be the only one not showing up.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I would like the Bruins to give a full effort in this one. They may end up being our first round opponent and I would like an idea how we match up even though I know regular season games don't matter in the long run. They have a great goalie, I was so impressed with him when we played them. I am scared we will be shut out tomorrow after last night. A PPG would be nice, or any goal!!

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
Just call up the whole Providence roster and have them play. I'll be out on the golf course so won't be able to watch this one, but if it's anything like the last handful of games, spare the StL game, I won't be the only one not showing up.
I have a feeling it will be....:(. Hope I'm wrong. Must stay positive....;)

Reactions: UConn126

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I watched the Rangers-Islanders game yesterday. Copp got a natural hat trick and already looked like he'd been there forever. Solid addition. They have a stack of talent and move the puck quickly and with purpose. Panarin's playmaking skills remain otherworldly, Kreider is riding a dream season, Fox is a stud. Their defense is actually ok. Yes Sheshterkin has been tremendous for them but their D-group is pretty solid all the same. I do see three potential weaknesses though - lack of depth, postseason inexperience, and they are a team that tends to play in bursts of effort, which means they also have patches where they are quite flat and on their heels, and that's when they can be got at by a team that's good enough to do so.

Interested to see how the Bruins measure up. To me NY is a dangerous team and while I don't think they're ready for a serious Cup run yet they'll be a very good chance to advance beyond the 1st round. If Boston is indeed to face them it'll be a tough contest. I do think the Bruins can win it, and I probably prefer that matchup to just about any other, but it's going to take a bloody good performance. Getting a feel for the series, if it does eventuate, starts here.

Last edited:

Helsinki city boy

Jun 2, 2019
Helsinki
I watched the Rangers-Islanders game yesterday. Copp got a natural hat trick and already looked like he'd been there forever. Solid addition. They have a stack of talent and move the puck quickly and with purpose. Panarin's playmaking skills remain otherworldly, Kreider is riding a dream season, Fox is a stud. Their defense is actually ok. Yes Sheshterkin has been tremendous for them but their D-group is pretty solid all the same. I do see three potential weaknesses though - lack of depth, postseason inexperience, and they are a team that tends to play in bursts of effort, which means they also have patches where they are quite flat and on their heels, and that's when they can be got at by a team that's good enough to do so.

Interested to see how the Bruins measure up. To me NY is a dangerous team and while I don't think they're ready for a serious Cup run yet they'll be a very good chance to advance beyond the 1st round. If Boston is indeed to face them it'll be a tough contest. I do think the Bruins can win it, and I probably prefer that matchup to just about any other, but it's going to take a bloody good performance. Getting a feel for the series, if it does eventuate, starts here.
I think well see Bruins win today. If they manage to force Rags top lines to the boardplay our defence can get their top guns out of the game. Dont expect lots of goals, but if they manage score at least 3 they will win.

Reactions: bruins19

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
View attachment 534244
Play-by-Play: Sean McDonough

Analysts: Ray Ferraro

Reporting: Emily Kaplan

In Studio: Steve Levy with Mark Messier and Chris Chelios
View attachment 534243
View attachment 534246

View attachment 534247

The Boston Bruins will look to avoid a season series sweep when they host the New York Rangers on Saturday afternoon.

Boston (47-25-5, 99 points) enters the third and final regular-season meeting with its Original Six rivals having lost four of six following Thursday's 4-0 setback in Pittsburgh.

The Bruins were shut out for the first time in franchise history when taking at least 50 shots on goal. New Hampshire native Casey DeSmith made a career-high 52 stops en route to his third shutout of the season for Pittsburgh.

Jeremy Swayman made 28 saves before falling for just the seventh time in his last 21 decisions (14-6-1). But, Jason Zucker's goal felt like a backbreaker after the Bruins had registered the first 10 shots of the second period.

"I think when we needed a timely save tonight, we didn't get it," Bruins coach Bruce Cassidy said. "Obviously, we didn't finish any plays either. ... That's the save you need in this type of game and we didn't get it. From there I thought we pushed a little bit, but that's a game-changing moment. Give their guy credit. He made a lot of good stops."

Brad Marchand had a game-high eight shots on goal for Boston.

The Bruins had previously won back-to-back games. They defeated the Penguins, 2-1, last Saturday before leaving St. Louis with a 3-2 triumph on Tuesday, thanks to defenseman Charlie McAvoy's overtime goal.

"We've got to finish better," Cassidy said. "We've been struggling to score the last little bit. We got away with it the last few games because we played well defensively and got the saves. (Thursday), we didn't."

Though Thursday marked its first time being shut out since Feb. 10 against Carolina, Boston hasn't scored more than three goals in any of its last nine games. That coincides with an 0-for-29 drought on the power play.

"I have the puck a lot, obviously, and just the way teams are setting up, so we were working on finding where things were open and how to attack from there," Marchand said.

The Rangers (51-21-6, 108 points) enter their second visit to Boston on the strength of a four-game winning streak.

The first three wins came in shutout fashion before that streak ended during Thursday's 6-3 victory at the New York Islanders. That win officially gave the Rangers home-ice advantage to start the playoffs.

"I'm happy with the way we played the last number of games because there are some games we've played teams that were out of the playoffs and we still kept focusing on our game and playing the right way," Rangers coach Gerard Gallant said. "I like winning, but I'm more happy with the way we're playing, definitely."

Andrew Copp, who was acquired from Winnipeg last month, scored a first-period natural hat trick before exiting late in the third with a lower-body injury.

Artemi Panarin logged his 20th multi-assist game this season and extended his point streak to four games after setting up four goals. Former Harvard defenseman Adam Fox dished out three in his 200th NHL game.

Chris Kreider scored his 51st goal and league-leading 26th on the power play.

Thanks Fenway. You really make this place special. I like the respect for the RIP monsieur Lafleur on your avatar. 🙏

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Will miss the game.... but I'll have fun reading here me friends with all the different opinions, positivity or negativity and all the different emotion. Have a great one et Go Bruins.

Reactions: BMC

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Finally made it to Maui after 2 year wait!! Will miss the final 4 games as I enjoy the beautiful beaches.
Aloha. Enjoy your vacation in Maui. We go to Kauai every year but had to postpone the last two until this January.

P.S: mahalo, Fenway for a nice Pre-Game.

Last edited:

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Actually going to the game today.
Bought tickets long ago.
Then wife tore ACL playing tennis and had surgery.

Daughter contacted staff who told us come to consierge and they will provide us with a wheelchair. (Thanks Alicat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad