GDT: GAME 77 | Senators @ Capitals | Spoilers Edition | Sun Apr 7 2024, 6PM | TSN5, TVAS

WallyD

Nov 20, 2022
I just want finished checks. Why fly by a player? Just lay the body and move on
You are correct there... that is part of the missing harder edge I was referring to.. I was also citing how often they cough up control with poor puck management. While I do see both players skills and potential to make great plays, I am growing increasingly impatient (& frustrated) with how long you have to wait for those benefits (streakiness issue) and the poor play in between that is so costly. As I said, compare them to Stü who I believe can be fixed under the right coach. No comparison IMO.

I don't hate either player, and perhaps a good coach could fix them too. My point was that if Staios wants to change the personality of this team he may be forced to move/swap assets that have a perceived value. Right now not all Sens players would be coveted, at least not in relation to their contract values. A year or two ago I would likely have been willing to battle to the death any suggestion of moving on from either of them.

Last edited:

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I didn't even know there was a game today. @Back in Black you had one job!

Caught the 3rd period and OT, and NGL I was rooting for the Caps, but man are they mediocre. We really should belong in that tier with them, the Red Wings, the Isles, the Phillies, and half-decent goaltending would have achieved that.

Who ever makes it to the playoffs among that tier is not going to last long...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I didn't even know there was a game today. @Back in Black you had one job!

Caught the 3rd period and OT, and NGL I was rooting for the Caps, but man are they mediocre. We really should belong in that tier with them, the Red Wings, the Isles, the Phillies, and half-decent goaltending would have achieved that.

Who ever makes it to the playoffs among that tier is not going to last long...
Any team that loses to us with both our top 6 centers injured probably doesn't belong in the playoffs.

Reactions: Duncstar and DrEasy

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
This was a beautiful spoiler game. Had to love that Sandy goal with the Chucky screen in OT.
I guess I'm a sucker for abuse as it relates to this team.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Just noticed that Chabot only played 18:13 tonight. That has to be one of the lowest totals of his career outside of games he left early due to injury.

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
I only saw the first and like a minute of the second because WrestleMania was on. How did Korpi look? How on earth did we apparently kill off a 5 on 3?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Confess your unpopular opinion - I don't really care who sneaks into that last wildcard spot in the East. It's pretty obvious that whoever does is going to be absolute roadkill in the first round, so to me it doesn't matter much. A big part of this is that I am way past caring how other teams do - my God, I'm even getting kind of numb to how the blue team does. I still want them to lose, of course, but my passion for it has gone. I just care about my team, and I am so sick of watching them lose that I could puke. The depressing fact that we will likely miss the playoffs again next year during Rebuild 2.0, has crowded out a lot of the mindshare I have for hating other teams.

Having said all that, I am happy when we win, even if it is a meaningless game in April. I want to see this group compete - when the puck drops and there are officials, uniforms and a scoreboard, I want to win, and beating a team that needed a win is an added bonus. It shows me that the fire hasn't gone out for these guys. Losing sucks, and I just can't cheer for it no matter what the draft situation is or isn't.

BTW, Sanderson's OT winner was not just a fluke shot through a crowd. Watch the replay - you can see him reading the play, and sensing the fact that the goalie was screened and moving the wrong way. Seeing that, he got the puck towards the net as quickly as he could. That was a high hockey IQ play, which is no shock coming from Sanderson. That guy is going to win a Norris one day - I just hope and pray it will be with us...

Last edited:

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
My only takeaways from the game…
1. That second goal is a good example of why Korpisalo is such a bad goalie: too much movement on even routine saves. The guy just moves back and forth way too much.
2. It’s astounding that Washington is even remotely close to the playoffs. They are not a good team.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
My only takeaways from the game…
1. That second goal is a good example of why Korpisalo is such a bad goalie: too much movement on even routine saves. The guy just moves back and forth way too much.
2. It’s astounding that Washington is even remotely close to the playoffs. They are not a good team.
Lowest scoring team in the conference and 5th lowest league-wide. By comparison, from 2005-2023, they have the 2nd-most goals in the league behind Pittsburgh. They have been nothing short of an offensive juggernaut for nearly 20 years and now they're last in the conference in GF. Kinda wild.

But you're right, a team with a -41 goal differential shouldn't be anywhere close to sniffing a playoff spot. It's kind of an effect of the separation at the top of the standings where we might see 6 teams in the East finish with 100+ points and then no other teams in the conference with more than 90. A very abnormal year by recent standards.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lowest scoring team in the conference and 5th lowest league-wide. By comparison, from 2005-2023, they have the 2nd-most goals in the league behind Pittsburgh. They have been nothing short of an offensive juggernaut for nearly 20 years and now they're last in the conference in GF. Kinda wild.

But you're right, a team with a -41 goal differential shouldn't be anywhere close to sniffing a playoff spot. It's kind of an effect of the separation at the top of the standings where we might see 6 teams in the East finish with 100+ points and then no other teams in the conference with more than 90. A very abnormal year by recent standards.
That's the impact losing your #1 center can have I suppose. With Kuznetsov situation and Backstrom's rapid decline they don't have the bodies to back fill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad