GDT: Game 77: Columbus vs. New York Islanders | 4/2 7PM EDT

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Dude stop it. No one "hates" dancing Kevin.

I don't mind what he brings to the table in the games where he appears. Hell he got the team and fans into the national spotlight on ESPN and other national and even international outlets. And he loves the CBJ as much (maybe more) as everyone here....

that said, did anyone see the weird/creepy twitter meltdown he had a month or two ago about some girl who shot him down? Really bizarre and kinda weird for someone his age to do that over social media.

Other than that Kevin is awesome!:yo:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm sorry, does scoring more goals than the other team still win hockey games?

Every statistic available, advanced, enhanced, whatever shows that Boll does little to contribute to scoring and does little to stopping the opposition from scoring. They say the opposite about Dano.

Cute insult, though.

You can't measure the energy it brings the team when he fights, or the safety the other players feel when he's on the bench. That translates to goals, but there is no stat for that and you obviously don't get that that's his job, not putting points on the board.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Right on:thumbu:

CBJ crowd is an interesting one. Needs the team to inspire it, then it inspires the team. I'm as guilty as anyone as I'm pretty reserved in the stands. I wonder if the team should flash the CBJ# chant on the jumbo tron early in the game to get things going a bit in the stands.

It's cool watching this team give its all down the stretch. While the games don't mean anything in the standings nor will any momentum be carried forward, I find it extremely encouraging that the games mean so much to the team itself. That's a sign of a high character team and a good locker room and a coaching staff which fosters a winning culture.

I'm a huge Richards fan, but I have to admit being not highly pleased with Wennberg getting more TOI than Johansen and Boone Jenner being on the top line. I suppose that next season that Wennberg will be properly slotted so it's no big deal. I like Jenner-but not on the top line. Hartnell or Foligno should be with the team's most dynamic offensive player; not Jenner.

Goloubef continues to impress me more and more.

Johansen is now tied for 11th in the league in scoring. His SO moves are amazing. Thank goodness that the FO had the foresight to sign this regression-likely malcontent to a short term deal.

I agree, Goloubef has got better and better, I was ready to dump him early in the season but he's played with more edge and is a good skater! I think there is a bit of carryover to winning down the stretch, more so for the motivation to train hard in the off season, also bodes well for any potential free agent that may come here and/or rookies and Reilly. Tanking down the stretch does nothing for anyone and we were never going to get McDavid so it would have been detrimental to limp to the finish line. I think we will get a fine player that will be ready in a few years in our slot.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Everyone here loves and misses Derek MacKenzie. Yet he has 11 points in Florida. Boll has 5 points, a whole 6 point difference (Boll also had 6 less games.) Who cares about a 4th liners point production? That should just be a bonus. As long as Boll brings energy, forechecking, and leadership he's doing exactly what he's being asked to. Once again, he's overpaid, but that's not his fault.

right on point, you get it

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
You can't measure the energy it brings the team when he fights, or the safety the other players feel when he's on the bench. That translates to goals, but there is no stat for that and you obviously don't get that that's his job, not putting points on the board.

But you can measure this: In games where Boll has fought, the Jackets are 4-10. How much does that really help?

Also, in games where he has taken a minor penalty, the Jackets give up goals 30% of the time he is in the box.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Boy, as someone who is new to HFBoards this year, it seems that the better we play, the more surly these threads get. We're on an eight-game winning steak, and its chippier than ever. I can't wait until we win out...it will be a frikin' riot! :yo:

Wait until we get to the Cup finals, this board will be crucifying the entire organization! haha

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
But you can measure this: In games where Boll has fought, the Jackets are 4-10. How much does that really help?

Also, in games where he has taken a minor penalty, the Jackets give up goals 30% of the time he is in the box.

He doesn't take excessive stupid minor penalties though so that's just a product of a weak penalty kill. I posted his minor penalties the other day and he only had 4 "dumb" minor penalties this season.

Those 4 wins he played a part in, most recently the Anaheim game, every single player said he was the difference. The 10 losses, he was doing his job and he isn't going to fight if we are winning usually, so it's bound to happen that we lose more than win when he fights, but that will turn with a healthy lineup. This season isn't a fair comparison. I would break that down one step further and look at the games when we were 80% healthy or more and then see what the wins and losses look like. Not fair to crucify the win/loss record when he played with an AHL lineup half the year.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

"#CBJ C Mark Letestu on linemates Matt Calvert & Jeremy Morin: "This line brings speed and a more offensive upside to tonight's game" (@rickgethin)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Everyone here loves and misses Derek MacKenzie. Yet he has 11 points in Florida. Boll has 5 points, a whole 6 point difference (Boll also had 6 less games.) Who cares about a 4th liners point production? That should just be a bonus. As long as Boll brings energy, forechecking, and leadership he's doing exactly what he's being asked to. Once again, he's overpaid, but that's not his fault.

Good teams get some production from their 4th line. Hell just compare to last year.

This year the 4th line has been a mess with basically no production out of the 4th line. Letestu has some points, but it's hard for him to do much when you plug Tropp and Boll on his wings.

Last year, Letestu played 50+ games with DMac and Comeau. Mackenzie had 9-9-18 and Comeau had 5-11-16. Letestu put up 12-22-34. That's simply not going to happen with Tropp and/or Boll on that line. Calvert-Letestu-Bourque/Clarkson? Much better production.

It also hinders HCTR's ability to roll all four lines. Boll basically plays a shift or two each 3rd period, depending on the score. He and Tropp max out at 7 minutes a game. Last year? Comeau and Mac averaged 11-12 minutes a game. It saves minutes on the top 9 guys, and over the course of 82 games that is a big deal.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
"#CBJ C Mark Letestu on linemates Matt Calvert & Jeremy Morin: "This line brings speed and a more offensive upside to tonight's game" (@rickgethin)

He was talking about Calvert, Morin didn't even play on that line the game that he was talking about.

Last edited:

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008

The thought of players feeling safe knowing that Boll is on the bench made me giggle.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Good teams get some production from their 4th line. Hell just compare to last year.

This year the 4th line has been a mess with basically no production out of the 4th line. Letestu has some points, but it's hard for him to do much when you plug Tropp and Boll on his wings.

Last year, Letestu played 50+ games with DMac and Comeau. Mackenzie had 9-9-18 and Comeau had 5-11-16. Letestu put up 12-22-34. That's simply not going to happen with Tropp and/or Boll on that line. Calvert-Letestu-Bourque/Clarkson? Much better production.

It also hinders HCTR's ability to roll all four lines. Boll basically plays a shift or two each 3rd period, depending on the score. He and Tropp max out at 7 minutes a game. Last year? Comeau and Mac averaged 11-12 minutes a game. It saves minutes on the top 9 guys, and over the course of 82 games that is a big deal.

Letestu also played ample amounts of PP time last year, sometimes at C and sometimes on the point. That's not fair. MacKenzie also shifted up the lineup and played with Matt Calvert in some games when he was really going. Comeau also took some extra shifts with new linemates routinely. Again, all players mentioned are better than Jared Boll at getting points, and all players mentioned have different roles than Jared Boll. Comeau was supposed to be a secondary scorer with snarl. MacKenzie was the motor and a faceoff/PKing guy. Boll is a forechecker who can hit. Why is this so hard for people?

Once again, I cannot stress this enough. I'm not a Boll fan, I wish we didn't give him his contract. I am not an 'apologist' for him or whatever you want to say. I'm just pointing this stuff out since nobody will listen to CA because he's a fan.

Every. Single. Team. has players who are like Jared Boll. Physical players, to play lower in their lineup. Not everyone on the teams primary role is to score goals. I don't always agree with ca about physicality and you need SOME players who will wear down the opposition. I know stats say Boll hinders the team, and there is probably better options for his same roll with better advanced stats, but he's what we got, and he's likely not going anywhere. So, can we go back to Wennberg bashing? That at least had something new sometimes.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Boll is a forechecker who can hit. Why is this so hard for people?

Because it's not true.

A forechecker is someone who excels at a combination of physical play and getting the puck back in the offensive zone. Boll doesn't get to his checks in time. He usually just hits the glass, though he will occasionally hit the player, in either case the puck is long gone, safely cleared, and there is no forecheck established of any kind.

And no, not every team has a player as useless as Boll on it. A few do, but many don't. The closest the Isles have is Matt Martin, and he's a much better hitter/scorer/forechecker.

Boll makes us a worse team, at any salary. Why is this so hard for people?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Because it's not true.

A forechecker is someone who excels at a combination of physical play and getting the puck back in the offensive zone. Boll doesn't get to his checks in time. He usually just hits the glass, though he will occasionally hit the player, in either case the puck is long gone, safely cleared, and there is no forecheck established of any kind.

And no, not every team has a player as useless as Boll on it. A few do, but many don't. The closest the Isles have is Matt Martin, and he's a much better hitter/scorer/forechecker.

Boll makes us a worse team, at any salary. Why is this so hard for people?

Nope, not true. That would be an excellent forechecker. Read my post carefully, nowhere did I say Boll was an excellent forechecker or even a good one. His role is to forecheck, and he does that.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I guess some us like watching the "sissy hockey" Dubinsky, Jenner, Foligno, Calvert, Hartnell, Johnson and Prout play

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Right on:thumbu:

CBJ crowd is an interesting one. Needs the team to inspire it, then it inspires the team. I'm as guilty as anyone as I'm pretty reserved in the stands. I wonder if the team should flash the CBJ# chant on the jumbo tron early in the game to get things going a bit in the stands.

Ironically, we have just the guy to do this very thing. His name is Jared Boll. Why not start dropping the gloves early in the first period?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Ironically, we have just the guy to do this very thing. His name is Jared Boll. Why not start dropping the gloves early in the first period?

If we could somehow convince Boll to retire from the ice and start doing fights in the stands during tv timeouts, that would be a win-win from my perspective.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
If we could somehow convince Boll to retire from the ice and start doing fights in the stands during tv timeouts, that would be a win-win from my perspective.

If he'd fight Mike Todd and/or Dancing Kevin, I'm all for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad