GDT: Game 76: Vegas Golden Knights @ St Louis Blues Clues | 5:00PM | A Clue! A Clue!

Whoses Better?

• Total voters

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Besides one game, Subban has let in 3 goals or more.

Not saying this game is entirely his fault, but that first goal was.

If Fleury is ready to go on Wednesday, he needs to get back in net.

Why? Fleury needs to come back around the 1st, play a couple of home games to get back into rhythm and then stay in Vegas while the scrub squad finishes things out in LA on the 6th. Two games with a couple of days rest in between seems about right to get ready for the playoffs. Heck at this point they should play Lagace or Dansk a game or two and give Subban some rest as well.

Reactions: Vegas07

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Even a half assed effort with better passes would have been better. That was the laziest they've played since the Stone trade and I think some of the worst passing I've seen from this team ever.

But they still need to make sure their fundamentals are properly tuned for the playoffs. So I don't think we should be satisfied with ****ty performances.

Do you get this way during the preseason too? And do you think professional players with the experience these guys have need to tune up their performance? Bunch of nonsense, these guys are playing out the string and everyone should be expecting it to a degree. I do think playing some other guys would be a good idea though, use it as time to see what you have in the pipeline and make some important decisions on guys who are about to be out of contract.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Actually putting in "effort" uses up energy. Frankly if you want to see hard effort and for the Knights to look good, chill out and tune back in during the playoffs. Otherwise you'll just drive yourself crazy.
It's about culture, a bad uninspired effort every now and then is bound to happen. But Vegas has had FAR too many of those this season. We don't need to win, or even necessarily look good, but we damn well better try.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I could see Vegas coming out of the West again assuming MAF is handled properly.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Do you get this way during the preseason too? And do you think professional players with the experience these guys have need to tune up their performance? Bunch of nonsense, these guys are playing out the string and everyone should be expecting it to a degree. I do think playing some other guys would be a good idea though, use it as time to see what you have in the pipeline and make some important decisions on guys who are about to be out of contract.
Uh. Interesting choice of words given the point made in the prior two sentences. Well if they're pros, why even practice, eh?

Reactions: hangman005

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
Yes, to a degree, and yes again. It doesn't matter how good you are at something, how often you do something every profession. every skill requires a tune up every now and then. I have little to no patience for complacency and I don't think it's a culture we should allow to foster. Win or Lose to me is secondary to how they played. Yes I'd like to win, but personally I'd much rather lose a game we were great in, than win a game we played like shit.

Reactions: HanSolo

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I could see Vegas coming out of the West again assuming MAF is handled properly.
I think Flower is important, but so is what team turns up. Very Jekyll and Hyde this season, and we can make a long run, or we could be out very quickly.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Yes, to a degree, and yes again. It doesn't matter how good you are at something, how often you do something every profession. every skill requires a tune up every now and then. I have little to no patience for complacency and I don't think it's a culture we should allow to foster. Win or Lose to me is secondary to how they played. Yes I'd like to win, but personally I'd much rather lose a game we were great in, than win a game we played like ****.

Welcome to the state of modern sports. Every league sees this in the last two weeks of the season or the last week of the NFL. Coaches have learned the fallacy of momentum and chasing results when they aren't needed. No one tells these guys to go out and play poorly, but its human nature because they also give them a lot of breaks at this point of the season and tell everyone to avoid injury. Putting players through the pressure cooker for 9 months a year doesn't make sense.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Welcome to the state of modern sports. Every league sees this in the last two weeks of the season or the last week of the NFL. Coaches have learned the fallacy of momentum and chasing results when they aren't needed. No one tells these guys to go out and play poorly, but its human nature because they also give them a lot of breaks at this point of the season and tell everyone to avoid injury. Putting players through the pressure cooker for 9 months a year doesn't make sense.
No one is saying they should have gone out and played like game 7 of the SCF was on the line. But I don't think it's unfair to ask that the team perform better in trying to deal with an aggressive defense and execute better on passes. Things they need to be prepared for come the playoffs.

What's the alternative "oh poor babies you've worked so hard. It's okay this can be a nap game. You all take it easy and wait for the playoff bubble teams to sputter out. And you let us know when you're ready to compete, okay? Okay. Sweet dreams my princes."

These are professional athletes who have a responsibility to at the very least make sure the fundamentals of the game are in working order going for a championship run.

Also the NHL is not the NFL where they have two games in two weeks.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I would be more upset if there was more to play for. The main reason I’m annoyed with the loss is I don’t like losing.

The team didn’t do so great at the end of last season either and when the playoffs started it quickly changed.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I would be more upset if there was more to play for. The main reason I’m annoyed with the loss is I don’t like losing.

The team didn’t do so great at the end of last season either and when the playoffs started it quickly changed.
I don't even care about the loss. I just can't stand lazy hockey.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
I don't even care about the loss. I just can't stand lazy hockey.

Are there teams that don’t do this though? Seems like every pro team I’ve ever watched has lazy nights and several sports have seasons that are way too long. And some of the teams I’ve seen that play the hardest run out of gas by the time the playoffs arrive.

I’ve also seen championship teams that seemed to coast during the entire season and “flip the switch” during the playoffs (I hate it when teams do that though).

Reactions: The Duck Knight

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Are there teams that don’t do this though? Seems like every pro team I’ve ever watched has lazy nights and several sports have seasons that are way too long. And some of the teams I’ve seen that play the hardest run out of gas by the time the playoffs arrive.

I’ve also seen championship teams that seemed to coast during the entire season and “flip the switch” during the playoffs (I hate it when teams do that though).
Just not the mentality you should have going into any first round.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
This year's team really plays up and down to the opponent and thats will have cost them home ice vs the sharks. The blues are a very good team that can make teams look bad offensively so I won't be too mad about this one, but the effort against the red wings and many other bottom feeders beat them this year. Plus ROR is my favorite non VGK player. I wonder if GMGM ever made an offer because the blues gave up very little for him. I think some of the talk about him being a selfish person could have been a factor of some teams staying away, but he's like a Stastny but younger and a better version in all aspects.

These 2 losses do hurt because they would be right up the sharks butt for home ice advantage with 2 wins that seemed possible with one being an almost sure win on paper and the other that is toss up. Playing at the blues who have been hot and on the road with many players out just seemed like a 30% chance of winning to me, but if they had beaten Detroit maybe they could have kept the train rolling.

I hope Merrill is in before Miller and Holden in the playoffs, but I think Holden will play over the both of them. I doubt Holden is tradable either. He's over paid by 1.2M and gets caught staring at the puck and doesn't move his feet until it's too late far too often that leads to goals a high danger chance more than the amount of good plays he makes that takes away potential goals from the opposition.

Tuch has really fell off a cliff too. I wonder if he is too immature to handle the fame and money he got with his contract and enjoys too many late nights on the town. I don't know if he has a no trade clause, but if Gusev was coming over maybe I'd explore how much they could get back for him since next year there will be tough choices to be made over who gets extensions and who doesn't receive one. I think there would be a decent amount of teams that would want a young player his potential and decent contract with the years remaining.

Last edited:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
This year's team really plays up and down to the opponent and thats will have cost them home ice vs the sharks. The blues are a very good team that can make teams look bad offensively so I won't be too mad about this one, but the effort against the red wings and many other bottom feeders beat them this year. Plus ROR is my favorite non VGK player. I wonder if GMGM ever made an offer because the blues gave up very little for him. I think some of the talk about him being a selfish person could have been a factor of some teams staying away, but he's like a Stastny but younger and a better version in all aspects.

These 2 losses do hurt because they would be right up the sharks butt for home ice advantage with 2 wins that seemed possible with one being an almost sure win on paper and the other that is toss up. Playing at the blues who have been hot and on the road with many players out just seemed like a 30% chance of winning to me, but if they had beaten Detroit maybe they could have kept the train rolling.

I hope Merrill is in before Miller and Holden in the playoffs, but I think Holden will play over the both of them. I doubt Holden is tradable either. He's over paid by 1.2M and gets caught staring at the puck and doesn't move his feet until it's too late far too often that leads to goals a high danger chance more than the amount of good plays he makes that takes away potential goals from the opposition.

Tuch has really fell off a cliff too. I wonder if he is too immature to handle the fame and money he got with his contract and enjoys too many late nights on the town. I don't know if he has a no trade clause, but if Gusev was coming over maybe I'd explore how much they could get back for him since next year there will be tough choices to be made over who gets extensions and who doesn't receive one. I think there would be a decent amount of teams that would want a young player his potential and decent contract with the years remaining.

Just sit him for few games and have a coach work with him. Fortnite and videogames banned for now.

In fine with the gliding around. Looking at the roster we might be able to handle a backup goalie injury, but any player loss would be brutal. I cant go into details because hockey gods don't like that.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Full credit to the Blues, especially Pietrangelo. He was stripping Tuch, Stone and Smith of the puck all night. Turk even moved Stone to the Karlsson line to get him away from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad