GDT: Game 76: Non-Kellers Vs Kellers Pt. 2 - The Legend of Keller's Gold - 7:30/FSAZ

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I didn't read thread so if this has been discussed apologies. What was up with Reaves trying to start something with Domi for half the night? He does known Domi isn't going to fight a guy who he gives up 5 inches and 50 lbs to. Coyotes could use someone who could do the heavy lifting against azzhats like Reaves.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I didn't read thread so if this has been discussed apologies. What was up with Reaves trying to start something with Domi for half the night? He does known Domi isn't going to fight a guy who he gives up 5 inches and 50 lbs to. Coyotes could use someone who could do the heavy lifting against azzhats like Reaves.

Domi, much as I like him, is no angel. Part of how he makes up for lack of height is by playing on the edge of dirty with his stick work. I know very little about Reaves, but he is hardly the first player to get aggravated with Domi.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Watching the Blues play makes me wonder about just what kind of team Chayka is putting together.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Reaves hit Domi and stayed around for more early. On next 4 or 5 shifts he kinda stalked Domi getting in a whack here and there trying to start something. He was being a dink and unfortunately our guy had to just take it as there was no one to answer for it?? Tippett changed the matchup as the game went on.
Domi, much as I like him, is no angel. Part of how he makes up for lack of height is by playing on the edge of dirty with his stick work. I know very little about Reaves, but he is hardly the first player to get aggravated with Domi.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Anthony Peluso as 4RW/13F suits me just fine.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's funny as the move to remove fighting and enforcers from the game has me watching a game where a much larger guy who fights tries to intimidate a player and the Officials watch and do nothing. You want fighting gone you penalize the tough guy as soon as he does anything to the smaller player. His role will be ended by his own team quickly. Personally if I ran the Coyotes and we were this young I would have a could of decent skating large guys going over the boards regularly. The kids would develop without the fear of being beaten.
Anthony Peluso as 4RW/13F suits me just fine.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The issue at hand is also a lack of response by the player safety department. I do recall that there was a time in yesterday's game in the 3rd period when there may have been a small dust up after the Blues goalie stopped the puck with somewhere between 3 and 7 minutes left in the game.

They showed a replay of OEL shooting, and at the tail end, you see a Blues player come in with his right hand on top of the stick, and practically butt-end/punch OEL right in the jaw.

It's like the player safety department only review hits or actions like this when an injury does occur, but one of the major reasons for suspensions is b/c the player targeted another player's head. I don't know how that doesn't warrant a phone call or something, b/c it is clear that the intent was there, even if the action did not wind up hurting OEL.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
The issue at hand is also a lack of response by the player safety department. I do recall that there was a time in yesterday's game in the 3rd period when there may have been a small dust up after the Blues goalie stopped the puck with somewhere between 3 and 7 minutes left in the game.

They showed a replay of OEL shooting, and at the tail end, you see a Blues player come in with his right hand on top of the stick, and practically butt-end/punch OEL right in the jaw.

It's like the player safety department only review hits or actions like this when an injury does occur, but one of the major reasons for suspensions is b/c the player targeted another player's head. I don't know how that doesn't warrant a phone call or something, b/c it is clear that the intent was there, even if the action did not wind up hurting OEL.

I don't care about the player safety department of the NHL.
its like what Nick Boynton said in his post game analysis.
When that happened to OEL or when Holland got bent double over the boards then fell back onto the ice and no blue helmet in return hit the ice from someone swinging on a Blues player...thats the problem.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It's the second game for the kid. Give him a break! What do you guys expect from him? He's not McDavid. You guys better cool your jets on him and give him some time or you could be in for a disappointment.

I'm not disappointed at all. That's why I wrote that the Coyotes aren't the right place for him right now. He should be in Tucson. Now and next season as well... on Strome's wing.
Now is the time to see what players doing well in the AHL have to offer. Center position has to be evaluated to see what's needed for next season. Bring up Mueller/Dauphin and send down McGinn/Holland. They're not gonna get better. Hopeless cases.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I'm not disappointed at all. That's why I wrote that the Coyotes aren't the right place for him right now. He should be in Tucson. Now and next season as well... on Strome's wing.
Now is the time to see what players doing well in the AHL have to offer. Center position has to be evaluated to see what's needed for next season. Bring up Mueller/Dauphin and send down McGinn/Holland. They're not gonna get better. Hopeless cases.

Being in Tucson wouldn't do squat for him at this late stage in the season.

By being up on Coyotes he gets in a handful of games to find out where he is in respect to the speed and skill level he has to compete under, and what he has to do to stay there this off season.

It doesn't cost the Coyotes a year on his ELC and his potential future line mates are there.

If this were the first ten games of the season instead of the last, seven then sending him to Tucson would make more sense.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

By being up on Coyotes he gets in a handful of games to find out where he is in respect to the speed and skill level he has to compete under, and what he has to do to stay there this off season.

It doesn't cost the Coyotes a year on his ELC and his potential future line mates are there.

If this were the first ten games of the season instead of the last, seven then sending him to Tucson would make more sense.

Good point. I still don't like the idea of him being with the Coyotes though. It's too early. Easy to see.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I couldn't disagree more.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, after watching Keller the last two games I think he might be in the press box for a couple of games to give him a look from above.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
And to make sure he doesn't get his bonus.

Because why would you have guys watch tape when you can get Jooris and Holland and KConn extra ice time and have the kids watch?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
And to make sure he doesn't get his bonus.

Because why would you have guys watch tape when you can get Jooris and Holland and KConn extra ice time and have the kids watch?

Has anything about his play merited a bonus, or is just more dump on the Coyotes material?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He wouldn't be in the line up if it was based on play in his first 2 games. Easy to pick on the Coyotes but they are giving this kid a look when the eye test says he isn't ready. It will help him long term but the bonus would be a gift and not performance based.
Has anything about his play merited a bonus, or is just more dump on the Coyotes material?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He wouldn't be in the line up if it was based on play in his first 2 games. Easy to pick on the Coyotes but they are giving this kid a look when the eye test says he isn't ready. It will help him long term but the bonus would be a gift and not performance based.

I know someone mentioned a 25k bonus based on games played this year, but I can't find it anywhere.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'm mixed on Keller playing the remaining games. I know they want to take a look, but they should definitely scratch him against the Kings and Stars (both pretty big). If there's a bonus involved, I'm fine with dressing him as long as they limit his ice time.

Still, these last games are irrelevant to the future of the Coyotes, so just dress some of the folks who we are mixed on (in terms of new contracts, etc.) and see what they have. Let the youngsters enjoy the last 5 games rather than get beat up/aggravated by larger players.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It would be very short sighted not to give him the remaining games to help him understand how to spend his summer and to give the team a better idea of what to look for in the next training camps.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I hope he can keep his head up, and on a swivel... I had a Kolanos / Mueller vision.

And agreed with above comments , we need some muscle on the team as well.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It would be very short sighted not to give him the remaining games to help him understand how to spend his summer and to give the team a better idea of what to look for in the next training camps.

I actually agree with the decision not to play him against the Kings. They play too heavy a game for this blade of grass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad