GDT: Game 76: Columbus vs. New Jersey | 3/31 7PM EDT

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
We need offensive defensemen, not someone that can't create a lick of offense for 4.5 million a year on the backend. He's worse in his own end than any other defensemen we havel, he consistently gets caught up ice and leads to odd man rushes.

LOLWUT.

Tyutin has put up 26+ points in every season, save for the lockout year when he had 22 in 48 games. He's on a 30pt pace (over 82 games) this season. Not bad for a "two way" guy.

Savard, Connauton, and to a lesser extent Johnson are all "offensive" guys. Madaisky in Springfield as well.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's not. Tanking is fool's gold.

What's not? I'm saying I'm anti-tank because the point of each game is to win. And my point is that would be my position regardless of whether winning now is helping or hurting ourselves in the long run.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think we have a good amount of offense from the backend, even without Wiz. I'm not sure about this but I think our D are relatively slow though.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
What's not? I'm saying I'm anti-tank because the point of each game is to win. And my point is that would be my position regardless of whether winning now is helping or hurting ourselves in the long run.

I agree with you, I wasn't being clear

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm not so sure I'm on board with - we use to suck at drafting but now we're good.

Most first round picks we took the best available - big exception was Zherdev. Seemed like most folks (including internally) wanted to go another direction but Doug wanted to get his Gaborik (and I remember him saying on his old radio show that whoever he got in that draft was going to be better then Gabby).

Now how we developed guys was questionable, including how they were handled. From Doug forcing King to play Klesla, to letting Nash float defensively, to not getting Zherdev in line, to Brassard, Brule, Filatov, etc just seemed like too many kids were plugged in and were better in their initial 1st season (minimal games) than they were when they were given a full-time job.

But it's not like we were taking guys projected as 2nd round picks in the top 8 picks. We were taking guys that made sense according the publically available draft information.

Lack of adequate development and failure to put young players in positions to succeed are good points, too. They're more evidence that tanking for high picks is rarely worth it. Drafting well and developing well are things you control and have more of an impact than just picking high.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Losing 3 games would increase our chances at the 1st overall to over 40%?

No it would increase our chances of winning the lottery by 40%. In my example a 2 percentage point improvement from a 5% chance to say a 7% chance is a 40% improvement. Unfortunately we would still have only a 7% chance of winning.

CBJ103

Mar 15, 2011
Powell, OH
So what you are saying is that losing 3 in a row would decrease our chance of not winning the lottery by about 2%.

I would rather they win out. I feel happier when they win. I drive home in a better mood. I am guessing that the people selling CBJ ticket renewals do too.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
No it would increase our chances of winning the lottery by 40%. In my example a 2 percentage point improvement from a 5% chance to say a 7% chance is a 40% improvement. Unfortunately we would still have only a 7% chance of winning.

Ah thanks for clarifying.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I'm not so sure I'm on board with - we use to suck at drafting but now we're good.

We're not any better or worse at drafting. Jarmo's crystal ball isn't any more magical than any other GM's. Once the Top 2 or 3 players are picked, then it gets pretty muddy when you're judging 18 year-olds. At that point, quantity of picks > the picking position. If this is really is a deep draft, at that point either trade down to get more picks or for a good current NHLer.

Cash for Nash

May 13, 2012
We're not any better or worse at drafting. Jarmo's crystal ball isn't any more magical than any other GM's. Once the Top 2 or 3 players are picked, then it gets pretty muddy when you're judging 18 year-olds. At that point, quantity of picks > the picking position. If this is really is a deep draft, at that point either trade down to get more picks or for a good current NHLer.

To be fair gm Doug mcleans crystal ball had bong water in it.

Otherwise I agree 100%

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
LOLWUT.

Tyutin has put up 26+ points in every season, save for the lockout year when he had 22 in 48 games. He's on a 30pt pace (over 82 games) this season. Not bad for a "two way" guy.

Savard, Connauton, and to a lesser extent Johnson are all "offensive" guys. Madaisky in Springfield as well.

K, so we are all set on D. So basically, the only thing keeping us from the Cup is Boll, dump him and Lord Stanley will be paraded down Front Street!

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

Yeah, cause there's no such thing as scouts

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
To be fair gm Doug mcleans crystal ball had bong water in it.

I think his drafting was fine for what he had in positioning. Not sure if you have specific example of where he went rogue on his draft picks (First rounders from 2000-2006: Klesla (4th overall), LeClaire (8th), Nash (3rd overall traded up), Zherdev(4th), Picard (8th), Brule (6th), Brassard (6th).

Of course, hindsight may say he should have selected another player, such as Kopitar over Brule. However, it wasn't like Brule was a crazy pick at the time and 9 other GMs also passed over Kopitar.

However, his player development........:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad