GDT: Game 76, COL@VGK | 3/26 | 10pm ET | Avs season as understood by Foxy Shazam

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Oh BTW I'm not all sunshine and rainbows...I thought Patrik Nemeth was absolutely horrid. People can jump down my throat all they want, and he obviously wasn't the only reason they lost, but he defended two goals about as poorly as one can, basically doing his trademark back-all-the-way-into-the-goalie tactic on one (Theodore I think) and trying and failing miserably to block another on the power play (Marchessault). In fact on the 2nd power play goal given up you can see him inexplicably turn sideways just as the shot is being made, like he realizes one moment too late he's doing nothing except screening his goalie and tries to get out of the way. I'm not even going to qualify my criticism this time around with the "I realize he's a waiver wire pickup playing way over his head" excuse, because even that doesn't hold water. I really, really hope they move on from him this offseason.
Nemeth wasn't even on the ice for the Theodore goal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Nemeth wasn't even on the ice for the Theodore goal

Well, then I take that back, still thought he was terrible though, especially on that Marchessault score. Again, not the worst player on the ice for the Avs (that might have actually been Mikko) and the team as a whole just unraveled in the third, but he did himself no favors.

I wouldn't mind seeing a rejiggering of the pairings and try Nemeth/Barrie and EJ/Z again. Maybe just try out Alt/Girard, at least Sam wouldn't be playing on his off-side any longer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Makar will make NHL a season or two sooner then Timmins.

Ugh huh, and he was going to be trusted with a bigger role at the WJC as well, amirite?

I love Makar, but he shouldn’t start next season in the NHL whether he goes back to college or not; he just won’t be ready to play without crazy sheltering and he’s too talented to rush for a small time gig. Let’s let him learn to dominate on the regs at a level higher than the AJHL and let him polish his game until he’s ready to help with more than our 2nd PP unit.

Timmins n Meloche don’t have his ceiling but they are both more polished and could win a spot in camp with a great offseason. And with those two it’s okay to break them in as low minute third pairing guys.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ugh huh, and he was going to be trusted with a bigger role at the WJC as well, amirite?

I love Makar, but he shouldn’t start next season in the NHL whether he goes back to college or not; he just won’t be ready to play without crazy sheltering and he’s too talented to rush for a small time gig. Let’s let him learn to dominate on the regs at a level higher than the AJHL and let him polish his game until he’s ready to help with more than our 2nd PP unit.

Timmins n Meloche don’t have his ceiling but they are both more polished and could win a spot in camp with a great offseason. And with those two it’s okay to break them in as low minute third pairing guys.
I agree with this. I hate rushing kids in. I didnt like it with Jost who is a forward and I sure as hell wont like it if they did it with Makar.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Comeau has had a really good rebound year, but he slipped back into 2016-17 form on the Knights 3rd goal. He was ahead of Theadore coming out of the O zone, but then just stopped skating after he passed the red line. If he takes one more hard stride he's in position to block that pass to Theodore in the slot.

That could have been a totally different third period if they don't score there in the opening couple minutes. They just needed to settle down. Instead they totally got away from their game in the 3rd, just like they did against LA.

Comeau's earned the third A when EJ or Nate are out with his hard work this year, but that was not the kind of play that gave him those honors. Hoping to see him make up for it next game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad