Pre-Game Talk: GAME 76 3:10 PM - THE BEAR is swimming in the Monongahela River - ABC, ESPN+, SN1, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1680318637347.png

1680319421397.png

1680318664479.png

1680318695266.png

1680318766747.png

The visiting Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins meet on Saturday afternoon in what ultimately could become an Eastern Conference first-round playoff matchup.

If that is how things turn out, the series would start in Boston. The Bruins (58-12-5, 121 points) clinched the Presidents' Trophy with their 2-1 overtime victory against the Columbus Blue Jackets, giving Boston home-ice advantage throughout the playoffs.

But there are seven more games on their regular-season schedule, starting with Saturday's contest against the Penguins (37-28-10, 84 points).

"It's an honor to win that," Bruins winger Tyler Bertuzzi said of the Presidents' Trophy, "and it just proves how good we have been all year.

"We've just got to keep going forward. We have (seven) games left, and then the real thing starts."

Boston captain Patrice Bergeron also indicated the team already has its sights set on a long playoff run.

"It's a lot of games, a lot of hard work, and I'm proud of the way we've done it by sticking to our process and growing as a team and learning and really playing for each other," Bergeron said.

"That being said, it's nice (to clinch the best record), but obviously you have your eyes set on (something) bigger."

Boston has earned the right to simply hone its game, gear up for the playoffs and perhaps hit a few round numbers.

David Pastrnak, who scored 41 seconds into overtime on Thursday, is a point away from 100 -- something only two other Bruins have done over the past 20 years. Brad Marchand reached 100 points in 2018-19, and Joe Thornton finished with 101 in 2002-03.

The Penguins, meanwhile, still are trying to lock up a playoff spot.

They currently hold a one-point edge on the second wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference. Should Pittsburgh finish there, it would set up that first-round series against Boston.

Pittsburgh hasn't made it easy on itself, including a four-game losing streak from March 14-20. Since then, the team has posted a 3-2-0 record.

That includes a 2-0 win against visiting Nashville on Thursday, a game that provided a blueprint for the way the Penguins want to play.

Pittsburgh has developed a knack for failing to hold leads, but that didn't happen Thursday.

"Even when we were up, I felt like we kept pushing," said winger Jason Zucker, who scored in the second period.

Goaltender Tristan Jarry not only returned after failing to play for three games, but he also recorded 28 saves to notch his 13th career shutout.

"Anytime you can get away from it a little bit, it takes a little bit of stress off of you," Jarry said.

Jarry sat out one game because of his third injury of the season, was well enough to back up Casey DeSmith, then backed up again on Tuesday. DeSmith yielded six goals on 24 shots in a 7-4 setback to the Detroit Red Wings.

So the pendulum swings back to Jarry, who likely will start against the Bruins.

Last edited:

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Alright boys. Be ready to play from puck drop. Now listen. We need to start getting good habits flowing again. That means good passes. Quick entries in the zone. Shots on net. Backchecking and forchecking. Battle on the boards. Get in front of the goalie. Get greasy. Stand tall. Be physical. We get it. You're tired and waiting for the playoffs. But it's not time yet. There are things to work on. Especially the pp. So, let's focus on that. Work hard. Play smart. Heads up. No injuries!
Let's get it!

You know the drill!
giphy.gif

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
If the season ended today, the B's would play the Pens in the first round, and since I'd rather play the flightless birds instead of Florida in round 1, part of me is ok if the Pens can eek out a point or even two tomorrow, because it's imperative the B's get past that dreaded first round (which is noted for upsets)

..so if the Bruins must play another lacklustre game....let it be this one

Sorry if this sounds like treason, but I'm thinking of the bigger picture

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If the season ended today, the B's would play the Pens in the first round, and since I'd rather play the flightless birds instead of Florida in round 1, part of me is ok if the Pens can eek out a point or even two tomorrow, because it's imperative the B's get past that dreaded first round (which is noted for upsets)

I'm sure the Bruins are looking at possible playoff matchups - They know for certain they will play WC2

They really don't want to play the Panthers because of travel - Fort Lauderdale is a 3 hour flight

In the end all we can hope for is an easy first round series and Tampa and Toronto go 7 games with many overtimes.

1680333818724.png

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Same. No problem with 'assisting' the Pens to a point or two tomorrow. For me the time for the Bruins to start ramping things up again is the Leafs game on Thursday. They've got this little mini road back to back, then 3 days' break. So I think they should cruise through Pittsburgh and St Louis, take a day off to rest and reset, and then hit the ice at Warrior hard and gear up for a last push against the Leafs and the last few games afterwards that will hopefully lead them into the playoffs in good shape.

Not fussed about these next two games at all. Or the points record. Just stay healthy and keep tinkering with the PP, maybe sit a guy like Marchy for at least one game. The rest can wait 'til next week.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Same. No problem with 'assisting' the Pens to a point or two tomorrow. For me the time for the Bruins to start ramping things up again is the Leafs game on Thursday. They've got this little mini road back to back, then 3 days' break. So I think they should cruise through Pittsburgh and St Louis, take a day off to rest and reset, and then hit the ice at Warrior hard and gear up for a last push against the Leafs and the last few games afterwards that will hopefully lead them into the playoffs in good shape.

Not fussed about these next two games at all. Or the points record. Just stay healthy and keep tinkering with the PP, maybe sit a guy like Marchy for at least one game. The rest can wait 'til next week.

I elected to pass on this weekend trip as even though I enjoy Pittsburgh I have zero desire to go go to St Louis. I will work in Philly and Montreal :)

I will not lose any sleep if they don't get the points record.............

There is only ONE GOAL now.................

I want the camera shot of Lord Bettman giving something to Bergie

1680335775513.png

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I have no interest in the points record, but imagine if it's within their reach on the last day, with the final game in Montreal.

I've seen some Pittsburgh games. Not that they can't hit a switch, but if they did manage to beat Boston in the first round, it would be a huge upset.

Just watch out for injuries. Jeff Carter got Cale Maker pretty good.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
It's playoff month! Flipped the calendar to see....Mike Reilly....lol My stomach made a little flip thinking of what is to come soon. I don't care much about the outcome of the remaining games. Stay healthy, keep Linus in shape but don't make him work too hard and get the PP going. Those are my three wishes for now, no point in wishing for competent officiating.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I'm sure the Bruins are looking at possible playoff matchups - They know for certain they will play WC2

They really don't want to play the Panthers because of travel - Fort Lauderdale is a 3 hour flight

In the end all we can hope for is an easy first round series and Tampa and Toronto go 7 games with many overtimes.

View attachment 679594
And not to have a month off between series. Remember the ridiculous amount of time off before the Finals in 2019?

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Looking forward to the game even though it means nothing! Hoping they use it to fine tune some things and just keep it simple. Enough of the over passing and not taking the obvious shots!

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Working to get a gdt done but it may not be great. Had 9 trigger point injections in my lower back yesterday afternoon and sitting at my desk is not exactly comfortable.
Hope you feel better!

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Want to see Nosek get his 100th point in his career tonight. He's been fantastic since coming back from injury
I want Pasta to hit 100 points also.

I agree Nosek has been great.

Most important NO INJURIES!

Any of the Pens that gets too close to Bergy's head needs to be taken down.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Living in Pa. I loathe the Pens. Call me crazy. But, I want to play those MF’ers in Round 1. We’ve had a great record vs them since 2013 sweep. Beat ‘‘em in OT. Keep them at 8 seed. I live about 4 hours from Pittsburgh. But, I think it will be easier to get tickets to Gm 3 or 4 there. Than getting home tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad