GDT: Game 75: Vegas Golden Knights @ San Jose Sharks | 7:30PM | Lets try again.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
:vegas
Can clinch a playoff spot if any of the following happen:

Golden Knights beat the Sharks

OR

Predators lose to the Penguins in regulation

OR

Golden Knights lose to the Sharks in OT or a shootout
AND
Predators fail to defeat the Penguins in regulation​

Reactions: Nevada Jones

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
Losing this would make a bigger statement than winning it. The Sharks still have the other Karlsson.

Go Knights Go.

Reactions: BattleBorn

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Trap game - no Theodore, Smith, Carrier, Thompson, Cotter.

Cotter isn't like the rest of those. We have been a much better team with Dorofeyev in, Cotter out.

I don't know that this would be a trap game, they got beat pretty bad last game, the Sharks are our biggest rival even if they suck right now, team needs every point they can get in a tight race, Sharks are in full tank and Quick probably isn't starting. And honestly, Smith and Theodore being out should make the other veterans focus up even more.

The Sharks can still win if Karlsson goes off and they get good goaltending but this should be a win.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Cotter isn't like the rest of those. We have been a much better team with Dorofeyev in, Cotter out.

I don't know that this would be a trap game, they got beat pretty bad last game, the Sharks are our biggest rival even if they suck right now, team needs every point they can get in a tight race, Sharks are in full tank and Quick probably isn't starting. And honestly, Smith and Theodore being out should make the other veterans focus up even more.

The Sharks can still win if Karlsson goes off and they get good goaltending but this should be a win.
Of course we should win, but it's the absolute definition of a trap game - a crappy team on the road (though I'm aware our road record is good) in between Edmonton and a home and home with the Wild, who just beat the Avs in Denver.

I like Dorofeyev but he looked slow vs. Edmonton, but at least he isn't afraid to shoot or go to the front of the net. But he's playing on the second line. It's our third and fourth line that are bad, which is where Cotter slots in. On Tuesday, noticeably awful were Kessel, Quick and our AHL players, Koleslaw and Howden......oh, wait, they're in the NHL.

Smith and Carrier can't get back fast enough if we want to do anything in the playoffs.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Of course we should win, but it's the absolute definition of a trap game - a crappy team on the road (though I'm aware our road record is good) in between Edmonton and a home and home with the Wild, who just beat the Avs in Denver.

I like Dorofeyev but he looked slow vs. Edmonton, but at least he isn't afraid to shoot or go to the front of the net. But he's playing on the second line. It's our third and fourth line that are bad, which is where Cotter slots in. On Tuesday, noticeably awful were Kessel, Quick and our AHL players, Koleslaw and Howden......oh, wait, they're in the NHL.

Smith and Carrier can't get back fast enough if we want to do anything in the playoffs.

Not true at all. Our fourth line is very good for us almost every game and Cotter is not really a fourth line type of player. Howden and Kolesar are good fourth liners.

The only place Cotter could go is third line but unless someone is feeding him a beauty of a pass or he can get going on an odd man rush he's pretty useless. Every line he's been on gets caved in worse when he's on it.

Reactions: RapidKnight

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Not true at all. Our fourth line is very good for us almost every game and Cotter is not really a fourth line type of player. Howden and Kolesar are good fourth liners.

The only place Cotter could go is third line but unless someone is feeding him a beauty of a pass or he can get going on an odd man rush he's pretty useless. Every line he's been on gets caved in worse when he's on it.
Completely disagree. Cotter needs more seasoning, but our fourth line is terrible without Carrier (who is now often on the third.

Howden takes a million offensive zone unnecessary penalties for his 3 goals, and Koleslaw tries hard but just does everything so slow is and is always behind the play.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Completely disagree. Cotter needs more seasoning, but our fourth line is terrible without Carrier (who is now often on the third.

Howden takes a million offensive zone unnecessary penalties for his 3 goals, and Koleslaw tries hard but just does everything so slow is and is always behind the play.

Cotter can't win board battles, his hits hurt him more than anyone else, he is not good in the defensive zone, turns the puck over too often, he doesn't create for his lines, he has to feed off talented linemates at this point. It's possible he can get better but he isn't there now.

I think you might be newer to hockey because there's a lot of your opinions for a while now that you seem to get from just a surface level view of the game and a lack of appreciation for what being successful on the ice means for players with different roles.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021

Kolesar is physical and he is breaking even in goals and chances with or without Carrier. Kolesar and the 4th line are definitely meeting expectations.

Kessel and Cotter share a 37.5 GF% and an atrocious 32.2 xGF% in 200+ minutes together. I’m afraid Cotter isn’t solving our 3rd line crisis.

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
Cotter can't win board battles, his hits hurt him more than anyone else, he is not good in the defensive zone, turns the puck over too often, he doesn't create for his lines, he has to feed off talented linemates at this point. It's possible he can get better but he isn't there now.

I think you might be newer to hockey because there's a lot of your opinions for a while now that you seem to get from just a surface level view of the game and a lack of appreciation for what being successful on the ice means for players with different roles.
It's OK to disagree but I just had to answer that I'm new to hockey.

I've been watching hockey for 6 decades, I remember Bobby, not Brett Hull as a rookie. My brother was team doctor for the Blues farm team and my niece went to college 4 years on a hockey scholarship, is in her college Hall of Fame since she was 2nd team All-American as a freshman and was on the Olympic team. I myself was a season ticket holder for the Rangers for 25 years, and am an original season ticket holder for the Knights, who I love. Finally, I've played hockey with several of the Islanders when younger (not professionally, pick-up keep in shape stuff.

But don't worry, I won't hold the mistaken thought against you.

• Wow
Reactions: RapidKnight

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Kolesar is physical and he is breaking even in goals and chances with or without Carrier. Kolesar and the 4th line are definitely meeting expectations.

Kessel and Cotter share a 37.5 GF% and an atrocious 32.2 xGF% in 200+ minutes together. I’m afraid Cotter isn’t solving our 3rd line crisis.
All those pretty stats go down the toilet when he commits a stupid penalty or passes the puck straight to the opposition instead of clearing.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
All those pretty stats go down the toilet when he commits a stupid penalty or passes the puck straight to the opposition instead of clearing.
Sorry, I know his role isn't to be Eichel, but he committed two penalties and a horrendous turnover leading to a goal. Against a team that's won once in a month. And been doing this for almost two years now.

I will say that thank God Nic Roy is back.

Reactions: IceNeophyte

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
No they absolutely don’t, nothing suggests he does either of those things with notable regularity. He is breaking even with penalties drawn this year btw. You could use that pessimistic logic on any player. Possession stats may not be a crystal clear picture but it is undeniable a complete picture.

Kolesar is holding his own which is why he is in lineup over Cotter right now.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
PLAYOFF PICTURE

:vegas
Can clinch a playoff spot if any of the following happen:

Golden Knights beat the Sharks

OR

Predators lose to the Penguins in regulation

OR

Golden Knights lose to the Sharks in OT or a shootout