BRUINS GDT GAME 75 7:08 PM - Worst in East visits Best in League and the Presidents' Trophy is at TD Garden - NESN, NESN 4K, SN360, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1680153246235.png

1680153272430.png

1680153311408.png

1680153416111.png
The Boston Bruins are in the midst of an incredibly busy stretch at the end of a historic NHL season, playing 13 games in 25 days with five straight weekend back-to-backs.

But that will be no excuse when the grind of the Stanley Cup Playoffs begins next month.

The jam-packed schedule appeared to take a toll Tuesday in Boston's 2-1 defeat to the Nashville Predators.

"This is probably the toughest schedule I've ever seen or been part of, but we obviously took them lightly," Bruins forward Brad Marchand said after the loss to the Predators. "We seem to get up for the games (against) the teams we could potentially face down the road, and I think we just were a little disrespectful of the game tonight against this team."

The Bruins (57-12-5, 119 points) will look to avoid back-to-back regulation losses for only the second time all season Thursday when they host the Columbus Blue Jackets, who are at the bottom of the overall NHL standings.

As a result of Carolina's 4-0 loss to Tampa Bay on Tuesday, the Bruins can clinch the Presidents' Trophy with a win over the Blue Jackets, whom they have beaten five straight times dating back to last season.

"You're going to have peaks and valleys with your energy levels," Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. "We try to monitor it the best we can, but the schedule's unforgiving right now. You're going to lay eggs every once in a while."

Only eight Presidents' Trophy winners have gone on to win the Stanley Cup since the trophy was first awarded in 1985-86.

Of course, the home-ice advantage throughout the postseason that comes with the trophy will help the cause.

"I don't think we're too concerned about records or anything like that," Marchand said. "The opportunity to have home ice the whole playoffs would be nice, but again, if we take care of our job and we're prepared to play the rest of the games, we'll be alright."

Against Nashville, Boston was 0.3 seconds away from being shut out for only the second time this season. David Pastrnak scored his 52nd goal, extending his career-high mark.

The Blue Jackets (23-43-7, 53 points) are 3-8-1 since the start of the month after allowing three first-period goals and the final three goals of the game in Tuesday's 6-2 loss to the New York Rangers.

"The whole game they battled really hard," Columbus coach Brad Larsen said. "It's a head scratcher. You look at it, 6-2, it's not that you're satisfied, but there's not many guys where you can say they didn't give it tonight."

Columbus has allowed four or more goals in every March game.

Johnny Gaudreau had a goal and an assist for Columbus, joining current Ranger Artemi Panarin as the second player in Blue Jackets history to reach the 50-assist plateau in his first season with the franchise.

Kirill Marchenko scored his 20th goal of the season.

Nine players in the Blue Jackets' Tuesday lineup had played fewer than 100 NHL games. Among them, defenseman Billy Sweezey was recalled from AHL Cleveland on Monday and could play his third career game less than an hour from his hometown of Hanson, Mass.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
This *should* be a win. But as we saw last game, this team needs to want to win first. Effort has to be there. So please. Show me the effort. Make the right decisions. Shoot the f***ing puck. Stop making horrific passes. Play hard. No injuries please.

Maybe this game is the game the pp genie comes and gives us 3 wishes and we finally get a competent pp. I don't know what else to say about it. It NEEDS to be fixed. And it needs to happen before the playoffs. We need to start getting good habits going with it and in general. So. I hope the boys give us the effort that needs to be there. Can start slumping because you're tired and want to wait to ramp it up until the playoffs. Nope. Don't accept complacency. Give me at LEAST 75%. Get it right boys! Win the damn game! Let's go!

You already know the drill!
giphy.gif

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I love Thursday night games, hubby always makes us pizza and we enjoy some wine, when there is a hockey game it makes it even better. I had better enjoy my food these next couple of weeks because my stomach will be in constant knots soon. The Bruins are a bit frustrating at times but mostly it is just relaxing hockey for now.

No jinxes - in 2011 I lost several pounds and was so sleep deprived, I felt like I had run marathons until June 15th. Those 7-game series were brutal, that game 7 against Tampa in the ECF especially, and the OT win against the Habs. I have no idea how I survived it all. I would gladly take the beating this year, it isn't just the players who give it their all!!!

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I am okay at this point if they start resting guys, a lot of the vets seem to coast when there is not much left to play for in the regular season, while guys like Zboril, Greer, Steen, Lauko etc. will give it their all, because they want to prove they belong in the big league and want to stay in the lineup.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
The problem with good teams is they can't get up for the bad teams which results in an upset and we have seen those types of games. I do believe tonight the team that has impressed all season long will flex their muscle. The power play I hope will be effective which should propel them going forward in the final seven games after this tilt, so I will say 6-1 Bruins.
"Here we Go Bruins" "Here we Go"

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
The Boston Bruins are in the midst of an incredibly busy stretch at the end of a historic NHL season, playing 13 games in 25 days with five straight weekend back-to-backs.

But that will be no excuse when the grind of the Stanley Cup Playoffs begins next month.

The jam-packed schedule appeared to take a toll Tuesday in Boston's 2-1 defeat to the Nashville Predators.

"This is probably the toughest schedule I've ever seen or been part of, but we obviously took them lightly," Bruins forward Brad Marchand said after the loss to the Predators. "We seem to get up for the games (against) the teams we could potentially face down the road, and I think we just were a little disrespectful of the game tonight against this team."

The Bruins (57-12-5, 119 points) will look to avoid back-to-back regulation losses for only the second time all season Thursday when they host the Columbus Blue Jackets, who are at the bottom of the overall NHL standings.

As a result of Carolina's 4-0 loss to Tampa Bay on Tuesday, the Bruins can clinch the Presidents' Trophy with a win over the Blue Jackets, whom they have beaten five straight times dating back to last season.

"You're going to have peaks and valleys with your energy levels," Bruins coach Jim Montgomery said. "We try to monitor it the best we can, but the schedule's unforgiving right now. You're going to lay eggs every once in a while."

Only eight Presidents' Trophy winners have gone on to win the Stanley Cup since the trophy was first awarded in 1985-86.

Of course, the home-ice advantage throughout the postseason that comes with the trophy will help the cause.

"I don't think we're too concerned about records or anything like that," Marchand said. "The opportunity to have home ice the whole playoffs would be nice, but again, if we take care of our job and we're prepared to play the rest of the games, we'll be alright."

Against Nashville, Boston was 0.3 seconds away from being shut out for only the second time this season. David Pastrnak scored his 52nd goal, extending his career-high mark.

The Blue Jackets (23-43-7, 53 points) are 3-8-1 since the start of the month after allowing three first-period goals and the final three goals of the game in Tuesday's 6-2 loss to the New York Rangers.

"The whole game they battled really hard," Columbus coach Brad Larsen said. "It's a head scratcher. You look at it, 6-2, it's not that you're satisfied, but there's not many guys where you can say they didn't give it tonight."

Columbus has allowed four or more goals in every March game.

Johnny Gaudreau had a goal and an assist for Columbus, joining current Ranger Artemi Panarin as the second player in Blue Jackets history to reach the 50-assist plateau in his first season with the franchise.

Kirill Marchenko scored his 20th goal of the season.

Nine players in the Blue Jackets' Tuesday lineup had played fewer than 100 NHL games. Among them, defenseman Billy Sweezey was recalled from AHL Cleveland on Monday and could play his third career game less than an hour from his hometown of Hanson, Mass.
Great, we'll be hearing about Sweezey all night from Jack...

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Thinking we see the full lineup of starters tonight, then rest some guys on the weekend road trip. I want to keep the hungry guys like Lauko (injury permitting) and Steen in the lineup as much as we can because they're going to bring it and the rest of the team can hopefully feed off that intensity. It will be be very easy for these guys to coast and that may make it hard to turn it back on come playoff time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad