GDT: Game 74: Columbus vs. Philadelphia | 3/25 2PM

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Play like that in a month and we'll be watching after 4 games. What a joke from everyone not named Sergei for back to back games.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Play like that in a month and we'll be watching after 4 games. What a joke from everyone not named Sergei for back to back games.

? You mean if we didn't have Bob, right?

Went to the shootout with the Caps two nights ago, in a game both clubs were calling their most important game of the year so far. And your conclusion from that is that the Jackets would definitely lose four straight? I know the skaters have been stinking it up, but Bob is part of the "we" you are referring to.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Went to the shootout with the Caps, last night, in a game both clubs were calling their most important game of the year so far. And your conclusion from that is that the Jackets would definitely lose four straight? I know the skaters have been stinking it up, but Bob is part of the "we" you are referring to.

Bob can only save the team for so long. Plus, his playoff numbers aren't impressive. This level of play from him is amazing and almost impossible to keep up (but so is our teams inept play), so we need to account for a slight reduction in his productivity and a big improvement out of others play, or else yes it will be quick.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Easy. Just draw a vertical line over the S on his chest. $$$$
LOL.. If I could like this post.. which you would think in the year 2017 this board would have that capability, I would like the hell out of it! :D

Went to the shootout with the Caps two nights ago, in a game both clubs were calling their most important game of the year so far. And your conclusion from that is that the Jackets would definitely lose four straight? I know the skaters have been stinking it up, but Bob is part of the "we" you are referring to.
Sure he's apart of the team, but he's also been the ONLY person consistently bringing it every damn start.

While I rarely agree with Wennberg, he does have a point.

Our offense stinks lately. Lets not even get started on the power play... Bob IS the reason we've been so fortunate the past 10-15 games.

Its completely idiotic to think it will be anything but, a quick series if we continue playing the way we've played the past 2-4 games, or past 20 games on the power play... to bank on Bob saving our butt each and every game of the playoffs is about as smart as thinking you'll win the lottery every time you play ;)

Our recent play is one of the main reasons I've been so concerned with securing home ice in the playoffs.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Sure he's apart of the team, but he's also been the ONLY person consistently bringing it every damn start.

Our offense stinks lately. Lets not even get started on the power play... Bob IS the reason we've been so fortunate the past 10-15 games.

Its completely idiotic to think it will be anything but, a quick series if we continue playing the way we've played the past 2-4 games, or past 20 games on the power play... to bank on Bob saving our butt each and every game of the playoffs is about as smart as thinking you'll win the lottery every time you play ;)

Our recent play is one of the main reasons I've been so concerned with securing home ice in the playoffs.

I think your lottery comment gets to my point - goaltending is not some random vector / pure luck. The Jackets have been winning games lately because they have one of the best hockey players in the world playing on fire. I'm not objecting to the idea that we'd be underdogs, I'm objecting to the certainty that we will be a quick out.

Also I'm not banking on winning, the poster I'm responding to is banking on us getting swept. Take note of the difference.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Prediction: Bob continues to come up big this year and next and signs an insane deal with the Blue Jackets.. & his buddy AO signs with Cbus to play out his "Jagr like" years. Ok it isn't really a prediction, more like my own personal hockey fantasy. We can take on both Russian born legends because of the insane amount of young talent that Jarmo has acquired.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I think your lottery comment gets to my point - goaltending is not some random vector / pure luck. The Jackets have been winning games lately because they have one of the best hockey players in the world playing on fire. I'm not objecting to the idea that we'd be underdogs, I'm objecting to the certainty that we will be a quick out.

Also I'm not banking on winning, the poster I'm responding to is banking on us getting swept. Take note of the difference.

Whether we we win 1 game or 0 games, losing in the first round will still be a HUGE disappointment.

And again... take note of what I'm saying: its crazy to think Bob will be able to keep this INSANE level of play all the way through the first round of the playoffs. He's going to have an off game here and there and hell could come down to the above average level that still makes us a quick out in the playoffs.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
LOL.. If I could like this post.. which you would think in the year 2017 this board would have that capability, I would like the hell out of it! :D

I don't know about that.

The Kings won the 2012 Cup pretty much because of the play of Quick, and the 2014 Cup was about 75% Quick.

So, yes, a goalie can carry you to the Cup. Obviously we need to score more goals, but it does happen.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Whether we we win 1 game or 0 games, losing in the first round will still be a HUGE disappointment.

And again... take note of what I'm saying: its crazy to think Bob will be able to keep this INSANE level of play all the way through the first round of the playoffs. He's going to have an off game here and there and hell could come down to the above average level that still makes us a quick out in the playoffs.

This is where I'm just too much of a literal thinker to have conversations here sometimes. I never said I expect Bob to pull a .975 in the first round, I think it's possible but unlikely. You're the one claiming Bob is not able to do it, nevermind that he's done it over the last ten games!

WashedUp

Mar 28, 2014
From the Philadelphia Enquirer
" The 2012 trade will forever haunt the Flyers. The Flyers received 2012 draft selections in the second round (goalie Anthony Stolarz) and fourth round (left winger Taylor Leier) for Bobrovsky. They also acquired a fourth-rounder in 2013 that they traded."

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
The 2012 trade will forever haunt the Flyers. The Flyers received 2012 draft selections in the second round (goalie Anthony Stolarz) and fourth round (left winger Taylor Leier) for Bobrovsky. They also acquired a fourth-rounder in 2013 that they traded.

"He played well, but he got lucky a lot of times, too," said Voracek, a former Blue Jacket. "A couple times he didn't know where the puck was and he would find a way to get the rebound somehow. But I'd say he's the best goalie in the league."

I added the rest of that article because the quote from Jake Voracek added a professionals opinion that Bob is the best in the league

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't know about that.

The Kings won the 2012 Cup pretty much because of the play of Quick, and the 2014 Cup was about 75% Quick.

So, yes, a goalie can carry you to the Cup. Obviously we need to score more goals, but it does happen.

Ward, Roloson, Quick.

I still think if Roloson didn't get hurt EDM wins the cup.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Caps are 5-4-1 in their last 10 and thats including the 4 game winning streak they are on. Columbus is 7-2-1, Pittsburgh is 6-1-3, NY is 5-3-2, Chicago is 6-3-1 and Minnesota is 2-7-1.
Its almost comical how much some people like to complain over any little dip in play. You are allowed to be happy, enjoy the ride while we are all able to

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Caps are 5-4-1 in their last 10 and thats including the 4 game winning streak they are on. Columbus is 7-2-1, Pittsburgh is 6-1-3, NY is 5-3-2, Chicago is 6-3-1 and Minnesota is 2-7-1.
Its almost comical how much some people like to complain over any little dip in play. You are allowed to be happy, enjoy the ride while we are all able to

I agree. I've waited 17 years for a competitive team, CBJ are 2nd in the league with 8 games remaining and have the 2nd best chance at the President's cup. I'm enjoying every bit of it. The doom and gloom thrown around after a CBJ win is just crazy. Every GDT now reads like the Dispatch "letter to editors" section on a Fall Sunday after OSU barely beats a MAC school.

It's the hardest part of the schedule for every team. Teams are playing 7 games every 14 days for almost a month now and most are struggling. It's hard to get a read on any team. Chicago got the snot knocked out of them by Florida last night. Pens only have 3 wins in their last 7 games. Caps have a 5 game road trip coming up and they lost 4 straight on their last roadtrip two weeks ago.

So what if Bob is carrying the team? A lot of teams rely on their stars to carry them when the rest of the team is struggling. Pens wouldn't be where they are it weren't for Crosby. Stop assuming the team that just played its 5th game in 8 nights is going to play the same way in the playoffs and take a look at the standings. ;)

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I agree. I've waited 17 years for a competitive team, CBJ are 2nd in the league with 8 games remaining and have the 2nd best chance at the President's cup. I'm enjoying every bit of it. The doom and gloom thrown around after a CBJ win is just crazy. Every GDT now reads like the Dispatch "letter to editors" section on a Fall Sunday after OSU barely beats a MAC school.

It's the hardest part of the schedule for every team. Teams are playing 7 games every 14 days for almost a month now and most are struggling. It's hard to get a read on any team. Chicago got the snot knocked out of them by Florida last night. Pens only have 3 wins in their last 7 games. Caps have a 5 game road trip coming up and they lost 4 straight on their last roadtrip two weeks ago.

So what if Bob is carrying the team? A lot of teams rely on their stars to carry them when the rest of the team is struggling. Pens wouldn't be where they are it weren't for Crosby. Stop assuming the team that just played its 5th game in 8 nights is going to play the same way in the playoffs and take a look at the standings. ;)

Good post. Also, look at Minnesota's struggles right now. CBJ aren't firing on all cylinders right now but they are getting the job done for the most part and haven't had the losing dips that every other team has had.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Ward, Roloson, Quick.

I still think if Roloson didn't get hurt EDM wins the cup.

Goalie play is what makes the Stanley Cup playoffs fun and scary. Every team has a shot if their goalie hits a hot streak at the right time and it is why, unlike the NBA, you see plenty of top seeds lose or at least struggle with teams seeded near the bottom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad