GDT: Game 73: Red Wings at canes 7:30 pm et 3/28/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
When your best player is a sub PPG center who can’t even score as much as Trocheck, you can’t expect to be a playoff team.

giphy.gif

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
When your best player is a sub PPG center who can’t even score as much as Trocheck, you can’t expect to be a playoff team.
Where do we get talent? None of the players we drafted is a top 3 pick.
What? Who on the Sens and Sabres is much better than Larkin?
Don't they have several top 3 picks?
Wings in no man's land as I anticipated. Worst position a franchise can find itself in, but at least some of the more excitable fans got into it at various points of the season and bought tickets and merch, so ownership might be happy anyway.
That is correct. However isn't it a necessary pitstop?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
We need more talent and no arguement exists outside that mantra that's valid...

We can not realistically expect to win with mostly depth and role players..

Our talent pool is simply too thin..

SY has his work cut out for him this summer and I'm hoping he has a plan and is aggressive in seeing it through

Reactions: 14ari13

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Bad, had a chance to take a step but lucky Capitals and Flyers lost too. Basically, stood still in terms of standings. Lucky for the Wings.

They need to nut-up and win some big games here against really good teams. It is starting to be a question of fortitude.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Uh huh. I'm not even a super Petry hater, but I'm getting tired of this shit. I swear if they sit Edvinsson when/if Walman ever comes back from his case of griddylock. I'm gonna... Complain more!

It was Rasmussen's guy. Petry was waving Ras over to cover that guy but for some reason he didn't. I don't understand why you're angry at Petry for this.

Reactions: 14ari13 and sepster

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
It was Rasmussen's guy. Petry was waving Ras over to cover that guy but for some reason he didn't. I don't understand why you're angry at Petry for this.
It's more of the "It happens" Whoopsie daisy! Ras was beat before the red line, Mo goes and pressures, Petry points at the other guy like hey take him to his imaginary friend and continues to look clueless on what to do.

I'll concede they are all at fault, but the fact is still that Jeff Petry is not a great defender and I've had my fill of watching these so called stabilizing veteran defenders.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Because Petry, like Chiarot or Ericsson before both of them is the approved punching bag and any mistakes that any player makes can be attributed to them, whether they did anything wrong or not.

Reactions: 14ari13

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Lalonde’s post game presser is just brutal

Excuse excuse excuse

He can't get fired fast enough.

Do you think Red Wings players want to run through a wall for Lalonde like Detroit Lions players would for Dan Campbell? Of course not. Just look at how they've started games in the last month, getting dominated by Arizona, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, etc.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
It's more of the "It happens" Whoopsie daisy! Ras was beat before the red line, Mo goes and pressures, Petry points at the other guy like hey take him to his imaginary friend and continues to look clueless on what to do.

I'll concede they are all at fault, but the fact is still that Jeff Petry is not a great defender and I've had my fill of watching these so called stabilizing veteran defenders.

Petry is a player at the end of his career that also happens to be a better Dman than a majority of the plugs that had been on the Wings' D the previous few seasons AND he wont be here much longer. He is what he is.

Rasmussen is a 24-yo, newly signed to a 4-year extension, player who, if you squint really hard and put faith in made-up analytics, has a ceiling where a playoff team MIGHT be able to find a use for him in the bottom 6. He is a black hole that has been mostly invisible, if not detrimental, since signing his extension in the midst of a playoff race.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Wings in no man's land as I anticipated. Worst position a franchise can find itself in, but at least some of the more excitable fans got into it at various points of the season and bought tickets and merch, so ownership might be happy anyway.
The team is climbing out of the basement of the league. It was always going to be a long rebuild, and this is the first season the team may finish in the middle of the pack. It's still a season of progress, even with the tease of a playoff spot slipping away.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
1711722353140.png

Intended assignments is one thing. But in what universe is it smart for Petry to make the executive decision of abandoning the guy that he is the only player that could possibly cover? Did he think he had a teammate behind him?

Like is he signalling to the ref? "Hey mark that guy!"

1711722596817.png

At this point, I'm pretty sure Lalonde is just terrified of saying anything negative to or about anyone over 30...

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Petry is a player at the end of his career that also happens to be a better Dman than a majority of the plugs that had been on the Wings' D the previous few seasons AND he wont be here much longer. He is what he is.

Rasmussen is a 24-yo, newly signed to a 4-year extension, player who, if you squint really hard and put faith in made-up analytics, has a ceiling where a playoff team MIGHT be able to find a use for him in the bottom 6. He is a black hole that has been mostly invisible, if not detrimental, since signing his extension in the midst of a playoff race.
Petry shouldn't be on this team next year but he will. If they slot him in the third pair where he belongs it should help alleviate somethings. But he will be a year older and most likely worse.

The problem is he gets# 3-4 ice, and it hurts. He is not a 2nd pairing dman anymore, when we got him I understood he was a upgrade over Lindstrom and Hagg. Where I expected him to slot. But he is not a upgrade over Hronek. Maatta-Hronek was better than Chiarot-Petry. I'm not trying to dig at Chiarot because this year I'm a fan.

Also very aware of what Ras is.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I missed the full game. Was he centering Kane and Cat again?

I presume the lines stayed identical minus the fact that we had 7D for some odd reason

Kane and Czarnik were out due to illness. Larkin and Compher generally skated with some combination that included Debrincat and Raymond.

Reactions: 13to40

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Right now I’d rather have Stutzle, Dahlin, and Tkachuk. They’re having off years but all are younger than Larkin and had peak seasons last year that he’s yet to have.
Brady Tkachuk isn't his brother, Dahlin nah
Stutzle the biggest diver in the NHL no thanks
No they aren't all having off years, all 3 had career years last year. I think what they are doing this season is more the norm.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
Once Kane wasn't playing it was done. Love him or hate hime he is a bolt of confidence but when he ain
The team is climbing out of the basement of the league. It was always going to be a long rebuild, and this is the first season the team may finish in the middle of the pack. It's still a season of progress, even with the tease of a playoff spot slipping away.

That progress was basically the addition of Kane. It's just a shame he picked the wrong team. And I agree with most comments on here that this team is a long way from being a contender.

Personally I hope Kane signs with another team in the off season cuz he only has a few years left and it doesn't fit the timeline of the Red Wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad