GDT: Game 73: Red Wings at canes 7:30 pm et 3/28/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

MIKELGRW

Jul 13, 2022
South Florida
Screenshot (65).png

Screenshot (66).png

10 games left, Let's Go Boys!

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
We have generally really struggled to generate offense on these guys. Need to turn that around to have a chance.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We have generally really struggled to generate offense on these guys. Need to turn that around to have a chance.

Generally struggled with any faster team. Ed is in but Walman is out so that's a wash. The forwards are as slow as ever. DUmp and chase and trying to slow down the pace of the game won't work, Fester better come up with a new game plan, or the D will be pitchforking pucks out of the zone while Reimer (or Lyon) gets peppered with shots. Ghost will have to be ready for the hard forechecking, because we know Maatta isn't moving the puck.

I've mentally prepared myself for the L.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I remember back in the day I criticized Babcock for his decisions. He was clear as glass as compared to Blashill and Lalonde.
These new wave couches rely heavily on their analytics with their own special twist, but their system relies on a lot of defense that the current crop is either not capable of providing or has not fully bought in.

When they play the game per the plan, they usually succeed

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Washington scored 6 on Carolina last week. Philadelphia scored 5 on the Rangers the other night.

If we cannot keep pace with teams worse than us offensively, we don't deserve the playoffs.

Last edited:

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
These new wave couches rely heavily on their analytics with their own special twist, but their system relies on a lot of defense that the current crop is either not capable of providing or has not fully bought in.

Lalonde likes to single out Perron in his interviews as the great positive example. Perron has 39.4 5v5 on-ice expected goal % this season. That's top 10 worst in the league. The Perron-Larkin-Raymond played 177 minutes together with an expected goal % of 40.5.
The decisions Lalonde makes do not make much sense to me when I compare them to analytics.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The wings are playing like they did in December.

DeBrincat needs to step it up in a big way for the last 10 games. Seider needs to play better. Compher also needs to step up and play like he did in October/November.

The season is on the line. No more excuses. Start playing like you have guts.

Reactions: Geezer WC

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Very excited to play against the Canes, Tampa, and Florida in this crucial stretch

Teams we totally have a lot of recent success against. Love it.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Lalonde likes to single out Perron in his interviews as the great positive example. Perron has 39.4 5v5 on-ice expected goal % this season. That's top 10 worst in the league. The Perron-Larkin-Raymond played 177 minutes together with an expected goal % of 40.5.
The decisions Lalonde makes do not make much sense to me when I compare them to analytics.
Honestly, I think that says as much about analytics as it does about Lalonde.

Analytics in a sport like hockey are a fools game. It doesn't have an admittedly massive but ultimiately finite number of possibilities like baseball does. The game stops every ten seconds in baseball for everyone to reset.

People misapply analytical statistics so horrifically in sports like basketball and hockey with constant action. It's why most of the teams that are like "WOOO YAY ANALYTICS" are usually kind of garbage. John Chayka tried building the Coyotes that way. It failed miserably. Jason Botterill... same way, same failure.

Hockey analytics are good for broad strokes kind of decisions, like yeah, the Wings probably shouldn't retain David Perron next year, but they're nigh worthless in the flow of a season.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland

That's why you need a talented coach who "feels it" not the nerd doing his math exercise. The latter is good but cannot replace talent.

Also modern analytics are still not well developed enough to rely upon n that completely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad