GDT: Game #73 - KINGS (39-26-10) at AVALANCHE (52-14-6) 7:30 MST ;TNT, TVAS, NHL LIVE

Due to the Playoff implications, are you hoping for a loss tonight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
I think even a few points back, if he has nearly 30% more goals, it's going to be Makar.

Agree. He has to get close though. We heard it last night a bunch… “Josi is doing just as good with far less” seems to be in everyone’s head.

Makar has to get close or get 30 goals bc defensively Makar has him beat this year

Reactions: wayninja

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
DNVR brought up a good point. Bednar may want to look at keeping this top PP unit together. Lehk and Nuke doing puck retrieval is helping keep the puck in the zone and just allowing Mack, Makar and Rants to do their thing.

Mack-Rants-Nuke-Lehk-Makar
Lando-Kadri-Bura-Toews-Byram
I really hope they keep the unit they have right now as PP1, and put Kadri and Landy on PP2.

The PP has looked much improved with Nuke and Lehk doing the dirty work and the big 3 just firing shots.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
He lost the puck for a second and took a big hit along the boards. Seemed to be ok after though.

Kings were running him a lot in the first half of the game. He was playing great and Brown took a couple runs at him before the big hit probably to slow him down.

Everything settled down after EJ lost it a bit though. Even saw a couple Kings players let up on hits that they could have finished hard on Bo which was nice to see. Especially in a blowout game.
That's the level of commitment and crazy they need to not get bullied this year.

In a meaningless blowout game the Avs being the ones willing to throw hands first is a deterrent to some of the cheap shots.

Manson seems like the type to stick up for teammates as well.

• Love
Reactions: Foppa2118

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
Agree. He has to get close though. We heard it last night a bunch… “Josi is doing just as good with far less” seems to be in everyone’s head.

Makar has to get close or get 30 goals bc defensively Makar has him beat this year

It don't care who's head it's in other than the writers (who vote), and they are all enamored of Makar. A near-tie is going to Makar IMO.

Having said this, the idea that you'd overlook how well a guy is doing because of the team around him is sort of silly and nearly immeasurable. The predators also don't have a guy like Toews cutting into Makar's assist share, but for some reason, that's not considered.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
DNVR brought up a good point. Bednar may want to look at keeping this top PP unit together. Lehk and Nuke doing puck retrieval is helping keep the puck in the zone and just allowing Mack, Makar and Rants to do their thing.

That would still leave:

Landy - Kadri - Bura
Toews - Girard

For PP2 as well, with guys like Newhook and Byram possibly able to swap in if needed as well.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I really hope they keep the unit they have right now as PP1, and put Kadri and Landy on PP2.

The PP has looked much improved with Nuke and Lehk doing the dirty work and the big 3 just firing shots.

The key is keeping Kadri off the top unit. I love Naz, but there’s no fit for him on that unit and he slows down the puck movement.

Landy is going back on PP1 and I think that’s the right move.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The key is keeping Kadri off the top unit. I love Naz, but there’s no fit for him on that unit and he slows down the puck movement.

Landy is going back on PP1 and I think that’s the right move.
I blame that on Mackinnon more than Kadri. Mackinnon cant help but give Naz a bad bumper pass when hes there. He aint trying that with Lehkonen lol.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Avs played about as poorly as they possibly could in the 2nd period against a Kings game that had no energy left before finally saying "all right that's enough of this shit" and putting the game away.

Bednar benched his stars as much as he could in this one, especially once the outcome wasn't in doubt. Sammy led the team in ice time, followed by Manson and Byram. Pretty sure Nate didn't take a single shift after he completed the hat trick.

The 4th line was about the only unit to really struggle last night, two of L.A.'s three goals occurred when they were on the ice. Manson was a minus-2, Sammy a minus-1.

Reactions: drhiii

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Avs played about as poorly as they possibly could in the 2nd period against a Kings game that had no energy left before finally saying "all right that's enough of this shit" and putting the game away.

Bednar benched his stars as much as he could in this one, especially once the outcome wasn't in doubt. Sammy led the team in ice time, followed by Manson and Byram. Pretty sure Nate didn't take a single shift after he completed the hat trick.

The 4th line was about the only unit to really struggle last night, two of L.A.'s three goals occurred when they were on the ice. Manson was a minus-2, Sammy a minus-1.
Manson earned one of those minuses for sure. I think the Danault goal.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Manson earned one of those minuses for sure. I think the Danault goal.

Overall the one area where the Avs had an issue with the Kings was covering their point men. Those guys were given way, way too much time and space to just fire at will on Kuemper. That's not just on the forwards either, Avs defenders didn't win the puck battles down low as consistently as they should have. For the most part though the Avs did a pretty good job of boxing the guys out. Manson in particular managed to cover a guy really well (was it Kopitar?) as he tried to shake him loose high in the zone, it ended up in a turnover.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Overall the one area where the Avs had an issue with the Kings was covering their point men. Those guys were given way, way too much time and space to just fire at will on Kuemper. That's not just on the forwards either, Avs defenders didn't win the puck battles down low as consistently as they should have. For the most part though the Avs did a pretty good job of boxing the guys out. Manson in particular managed to cover a guy really well (was it Kopitar?) as he tried to shake him loose high in the zone, it ended up in a turnover.
One of my peeves is leaving the point men wide open. I absolutely hate it always have.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Remember when MacKinnon was shooting like 4% and people thought he was on the decline?

He's on pace for 42 goals and 118 points over an 82 game season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Nuke and Lehk can still do that on PP2 though. Personally, I think you have to keep the top guys on PP1, unless they're stinking up the joint.

The puck retrieval thing isn't really why the PP is having success now though. They're always pretty good at gaining the zone and maintaining possession.

The reason it's working right now is because they're moving the puck quickly, moving their feet all over the zone, not telegraphing plays, being decisive in their passes, and executing on their shots.

When it's not working they're holding onto the puck too long instead of moving it quickly. Even Cale. They're also a little stationary, they're telegraphing their passes around the perimeter, and they're shooting into the goalie's chest.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad