GDT: Game 72: Coyotes @ Lightning - 4:30PM -FSAZ+

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree, it will be hard to do and expensive. I think it changes us from being way below average to way above average on D, and that is why we should do it. If we had:

OEL/(Trouba/Shatty/ect)
GoGo-Murphy
Chych-DeeAngelo
Schenn

That looks like a solid D core to me, no holes. It would remind me of:

OEL/Klesla/DMO/Yandle/AA/Rosi

It would prevent the right side D from playing above their position or too many minutes.

Your dreaming if you think Trouba or Shatty is coming here.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
They were together for quite a bit. Not bad, but not overly elite. The goal that Dvorak scored was truly a great little chip by Murphy up to Domi and Dvorak with some very bad play by TB's defense at our blue line. I included the tape of highlight goals from NHL.com below. Watch the second goal when Domi and Duclair almost collide together. Both of them are guilty of watching the puck, but guess which player moves his feet a little more? I think that is a textbook example where Tippett is saying that Duclair needs to be more engaged with play. I think it is about 1:15 in...

https://www.nhl.com/video/recap-ari-5-tbl-3/t-283438500/c-50614303

Tbh, Perlini did well with Dvorak centering him, and now Domi is starting to catch up. I think that bodes incredibly well for Dvorak's future - he can play with two radically different players in Perlini and Domi, yet still help the bottom line.

I truly did feel bad for Duclair with the puck luck he had. He did look more comfortable in finding open spots on the ice, but he is a little snake bit. That shot clanks off the post and 99/100 times, it hits off the goalie and goes in. Then to have a shot that ricochets off the visor and goes in is tough. Was not happy with how Domi went after the puck and ignored the man who scored the goal when it bounced off Duclair. Our D had done a good job of limiting all the one-on-one stuff, only to have a forward come back and forget about his man.

I'll check it out thanks for the link. Dvorak seems like someone you can move up and down the lineup an he'll be effective, it's a great thing to have.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Your dreaming if you think Trouba or Shatty is coming here.

Maybe not Shatty or Trouba specifically, but we need a 1RHD and will have to pay, one way or the other. A 1RHD will be available for a price. We have enough forwards and C prospects to eventually fill those holes. We have zero 1RHD prospects.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
0%. Unless we add picks/prospects. They need to fit all those players under the cap and will also be looking to have room for Free Agency.

I called it from the beginning. Terrible player. He's even worse than Holland. To give him that contract was insane.

Yep, no question it is a stain on Chayka's resume...absolutely awful player.

I can't go as far as calling him worse than Holland though, but he is terrible and Vegas will need to reach the cap so they'll have to pick players with some salary. :crossfing

Go back and re-read the thread when we signed him.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2100479

We were all happy with the signing, and thought it would be good for the team. We got a guy who scored 22 goals and 40 points last season. What happened between last year and this year for his production to be cut in half?

Not Chayka's fault.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think Gologoski will turn around next season. He has been too consistent throughout his career and has had flashes of the player he was in Pitt and Dallas this year. A stable partner and more familiarity with the system will help.

He is currently at 30 points, but only 5 goals. He is playing on average 23 minutes a game, and that has allowed OEL to drop from around 30 m/g to 24.5. Stable partners for either OEL and Gologoski will help tremendously. I really hope Murphy can continue this play into next season to pair with Goose. That Chychrun - DeAngelo pairing has been pretty dangerous at times.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe not Shatty or Trouba specifically, but we need a 1RHD and will have to pay, one way or the other. A 1RHD will be available for a price. We have enough forwards and C prospects to eventually fill those holes. We have zero 1RHD prospects.

The problem is that half the teams need a 1RHD. I don't see us getting one. I hope I'm wrong. Another factor is, who do we give up. The other teams will want Domi included in the deal, maybe DVO as well. We really can't give up kids right now until we know what we have. We are in a tough spot, unless the expansion draft shakes someone loose.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think Gologoski will turn around next season. He has been too consistent throughout his career and has had flashes of the player he was in Pitt and Dallas this year. A stable partner and more familiarity with the system will help.

He is currently at 30 points, but only 5 goals. He is playing on average 23 minutes a game, and that has allowed OEL to drop from around 30 m/g to 24.5. Stable partners for either OEL and Gologoski will help tremendously. I really hope Murphy can continue this play into next season to pair with Goose. That Chychrun - DeAngelo pairing has been pretty dangerous at times.

Gogo never has being a big goal producer, and I think his most productive year was 42pts. in his prime. The only area I see him better is his turnovers, other than that, what you see is what you get. I just looked up Gogo stats last year and he was a turn over machine as well, so I have little hope he turns that around.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The problem is that half the teams need a 1RHD. I don't see us getting one. I hope I'm wrong. Another factor is, who do we give up. The other teams will want Domi included in the deal, maybe DVO as well. We really can't give up kids right now until we know what we have. We are in a tough spot, unless the expansion draft shakes someone loose.

At this point we just need a 2RHD that has chemistry with OEL. I mean OEL is making Schenn look like a reasonable top 4 defenseman some nights. He certainly could do the same for a top 2RHD that fits with his playing style. We need to solidify the top 4. That way DeAngelo, Murphy, Schenn can shift to the pair they are most appropriate for.

I'd be looking at teams that have a defenseman that is about to rebuild or in expansion trouble (Vatanen or Tanev) or an over abundance of defensemen and not enough forwards (NJ, Carolina). Even someone like Edler could be an interesting 2 year stop gap if Goose can switch to the right.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
At this point we just need a 2RHD that has chemistry with OEL. I mean OEL is making Schenn look like a reasonable top 4 defenseman some nights. He certainly could do the same for a top 2RHD that fits with his playing style. We need to solidify the top 4. That way DeAngelo, Murphy, Schenn can shift to the pair they are most appropriate for.

I'd be looking at teams that have a defenseman that is about to rebuild or in expansion trouble (Vatanen or Tanev) or an over abundance of defensemen and not enough forwards (NJ, Carolina). Even someone like Edler could be an interesting 2 year stop gap if Goose can switch to the right.

Yup, you could be right.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Gogo never has being a big goal producer, and I think his most productive year was 42pts. in his prime. The only area I see him better is his turnovers, other than that, what you see is what you get. I just looked up Gogo stats last year and he was a turn over machine as well, so I have little hope he turns that around.

Yeah I remember reading about him after we signed him and Dallas fans agreed he was actually more useful on the PK than PP. He also seemed to play very well with Klingberg (which is also why I thought he was playing his best games with DeAngelo earlier in the season). His term isn't great, but I have this gut feeling the next two seasons he will be much better.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Go back and re-read the thread when we signed him.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2100479

We were all happy with the signing, and thought it would be good for the team. We got a guy who scored 22 goals and 40 points last season. What happened between last year and this year for his production to be cut in half?

Not Chayka's fault.

I wasn't sold on him, my last quote from the thread is below. But then in the game I watched Goligoski apparently looked awesome, so...........yeah I'd still be 1 for 2 haha. McGinn was pretty great earlier in the season, very physical and always stirring the pot. It's been a while since we've seen that McGinn though.

Watching a Dallas Anaheim game, McGinn has been pretty invisible so far. Looks kind of immobile too. Gogo looks awesome though.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I wanted Shawn Matthias instead of McGinn. Same role. Can play center. And that was before we got rid of Vermette.
That said, I don't think he's been much worse than I expected. We all knew he was overpaid when he signed. We neuter aggressive players, and that'd be my mine complaint about him. He's not had enough consistent jam. Otherwise, he's scored about 5 goals less than I'd expect on a team with a bad offense where everyone looked disinterested.
I think Goligoski's main problem is that he's doing too much. When he goes back to being a reliable stay at home guy with a decent pass, we'll be happy. We see that more when he's paired with an offensive dman.

McGinn is overpaid and isn't going anywhere because of it. Meh. Similarly, I'm not terribly worried about Goligoski. Expectations are high because of the contract, but he is what he is. Hopefully he settles into a role next year. We've seen glimpses, and has a much better/longer resume than this season.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Good points on the right side of the defence having a knock on effect. I just thought Goligoski had more passing ability than he's shown. Even OEL in a horrible year and who I think is an average transition player full stop, flashes great vision every so often. On the giveaway front - I thought Goligoski would have more. As a raw number, I think it's an indicator of offensive creators more than anything (Burns, Karlsson & Klingberg lead the league). Otherwise they're only useful looked at individually, like the one that lead to Kucherov's goal being particularly horrible.

I do like the flexibility Goligoski provides. If they can't get the 1RD that's needed & that OEL deserves - at least they have the option of playing Goligoski more on the top pair & adding a more steady 3rd pairing LHD.

I agree that when the team's so bad, it's hard to analyse individual areas. When the they're trapped in their own end so much, there are fewer opportunities for breakout passes. It becomes a chicken and egg situation.

And yeah, Dallas needs to give us Klingberg so both can rediscover their peak form.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Good points on the right side of the defence having a knock on effect. I just thought Goligoski had more passing ability than he's shown. Even OEL in a horrible year and who I think is an average transition player full stop, flashes great vision every so often. On the giveaway front - I thought Goligoski would have more. As a raw number, I think it's an indicator of offensive creators more than anything (Burns, Karlsson & Klingberg lead the league). Otherwise they're only useful looked at individually, like the one that lead to Kucherov's goal being particularly horrible.

I do like the flexibility Goligoski provides. If they can't get the 1RD that's needed & that OEL deserves - at least they have the option of playing Goligoski more on the top pair & adding a more steady 3rd pairing LHD.

I agree that when the team's so bad, it's hard to analyse individual areas. When the they're trapped in their own end so much, there are fewer opportunities for breakout passes. It becomes a chicken and egg situation.

And yeah, Dallas needs to give us Klingberg so both can rediscover their peak form.

I was always under the impression that his motor and speed were his top attributes. His ability to bring the puck out of the zone, ala OEL, rather than making a great tape to tape pass is his coveted transition skill. I see glimpses of this, but my lord does he make bad first passes. I think his speed is why he works so well with offense first defensemen like Klingberg or DeAngelo. As long as he can get the puck moving out of the zone, he can zip it to an offensive defenseman to make the breakout pass, or allow them to take the puck into the offensive zone. Gologoski playing with Murphy, Stone (who I think is a better comparable, albeit slower and with a bigger shot) and Schenn just don't blend well with his play style.

That being said, I would like to see him spend sometime with OEL for the remainder of the season to see if this type of flexibility will work. But we now are scare on LHD instead of RHD until KConn comes back.

OEL-Goose
Chychrun-Murphy
KConn-DeAngelo (heart attack city)

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
But we now are scare on LHD instead of RHD until KConn comes back.

OEL-Goose
Chychrun-Murphy
KConn-DeAngelo (heart attack city)

We have a few players in Tucson that could be called up if necessary.

What I'd like to see...
OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Chychrun - Wood

OEL - Goligoski
Chychrun - Murphy
Tinordi - DeAngelo

OEL - Goligoski
Chychrun - Murphy
Tinordi - Wood

OEL - Schenn
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Tinordi - Connauton (I think it's Connauton who has played on the Right, otherwise Connauton-Tinordi)

At this point, we could also scratch Murphy or DeAngelo and play Wood, Tinordi, Z, and McBain more. Heck we could even take a gander at Mayo and Mermis if our top 4 can keep things secure.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We have a few players in Tucson that could be called up if necessary.

What I'd like to see...
OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Chychrun - Wood

OEL - Goligoski
Chychrun - Murphy
Tinordi - DeAngelo

OEL - Goligoski
Chychrun - Murphy
Tinordi - Wood

OEL - Schenn
Goligoski - DeAngelo
Tinordi - Connauton (I think it's Connauton who has played on the Right, otherwise Connauton-Tinordi)

At this point, we could also scratch Murphy or DeAngelo and play Wood, Tinordi, Z, and McBain more. Heck we could even take a gander at Mayo and Mermis if our top 4 can keep things secure.

I see no need to dress Tinordi, Z or McBain as they are not in our long term plans. I see the reasoning playing Z, but we should be evaluating players like Wood, DeAngelo, Dauphin etc. and not get sentimental with players like Z.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I see no need to dress Tinordi, Z or McBain as they are not in our long term plans. I see the reasoning playing Z, but we should be evaluating players like Wood, DeAngelo, Dauphin etc. and not get sentimental with players like Z.

Cold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad